Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estherb2

Is Maui Buttercups a VERY slow grower?

I don't remember it being particularly robust, but c'mon; there is a tiny pair of leaves hiding among the clipped base of the old stems, but it seems to be growing at about a mm week. Very puny. I wonder what's going on, when adjoining pots of other hostas are bursting out of the soil. The plant is several years old, and when I potted it up from my Queens garden, it got new organic container potting soil, same as the rest of the hostas and heuchies. Its analog, Rainforest Sunrise, is doing great.

Comments (19)

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am on my second try of Maui Buttercups. If it were not such a cute plant, I would not have bothered with second try. My first one was planted in wire basket in the ground and succombed to cut-worms in early 2nd season. Its replacement is in a pot, as recommended by Richard at New Hampshire Hostas. He also recommended (and my reading supports this) to keep it out of strong sun until full leafed out and strong, and then OK to transition to full sun. Rainforest Sunrise is supposed to a much stronger plant, but it is also very slow for me. Good luck!

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • jimr66
    4 years ago

It's been slow but steady for me. It seemed to be picky about siting. Once I got it in the right place, it did alright.

In the right place it really shines as the season progresses. By early July the colour really shines. Seems to be sensitive to planting depth.

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked jimr66
  • Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    4 years ago

Mine is a very slow grower. I had it in shade and moved it to a sunnier spot last year. She looked much better last year after the move. Hopefully this year I will get more then 1 stem. (Purchased in 2016)

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
  • liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

Mine is no slower than other slow-ish hostas. I love its cupped and crinkled leaves, and would not trade it away for the world. Mine came in a batch of Rainforest Sunrises I bought at Lowes when they were on sale years and years ago, before I stopped buying from Lowes. The Rainforest Sunrises grow as slowly as their momma does. I am not disappointed with the slow expansion rate because they are both fascinating in form.

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked liquidfeet Z6 Boston
  • liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

I've heard that one can dig up a hosta, clean off the roots, dip them in root stimulator powder, and replant in order to speed up their growth. Last season I bought some root stimulator with this in mind, but never used it. Now I"m ready to give it a try but can't find the tiny bottle of powder. Drat!

Anybody here every used root stimulator this way?

I've also seen extra speedy growth from one set of hostas that I lifted out of the ground and replanted a foot away from the spot they had been in. (Yes, I'm picky about my placement.) I think that uprooting and then re-planting them somehow nudged them into extra growth that summer.

Anybody here ever had this happen?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

i seem to have some vague recollection ... along the lines that the original plant was lost in the TC process .. and that there are actually 2 different plants out there.. one that actually grows.. and one that is just a POS ... anyone else remember something like that???

i couldnt grow it either ...

ken

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Ken, is this a hosta that you threw on the driveway???

Mine has just plodded along since I purchased it. I am hoping for a leap this year......

Unfortunately, the slugs like this one.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    4 years ago

I nearly bought an enormous pot of Maui Buttercups last year. Massive plant, 20+ eyes. I may have watered it with my own drool at the plant nursery. Sadly, there were Gypsy Rose hostas on the same display table, and the GRs clearly had HVX.

So much drool, though.

The MB was gorgeous, truly a glowly, buttery yellow. If I had to choose again, I would go back and buy it and leave it in the pot away from my other hostas.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Utog, Better to buy a different one not near diseased roses than risk infecting all the hosta you do have. Drool over another one and buy that one instead. Good Luck!

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This one USED to grow normally, but now, all I've got are two old stems and a wee tiny pair of leaves peeking out from the side of one of those. The plant is clearly alive, but seems stuck on the GROW gear. Like I said, my Rainforest Sunrise is thriving and I know that's a sport of MB.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    4 years ago

I’ve never found it to be slow. Could it be a problem with the planting depth or a tree root choking it? You may need to dig it up to check the roots.

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ConnieMay, this hosta is in a grow pot with rich organic container potting soil. There are obvious large roots from it, and no tree roots to compete. I practically sing it lullabies at night, and it's stuck on "start". I did see a tiny bit of growth of those leaves over the past couple days.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    4 years ago

I think Ken is right. Some people get a really strong plant, and the rest of us get duds (when it comes to Maui Buttercups).

• liquidfeet Z6 Boston
    4 years ago

I agree. Duds exist.

An online hosta nursery owner near me once told me that many hostas are sold under the same name when they aren't actually the same plant. He knew the history and details of some growers who found something in their gardens that they "thought" was such-and-such a plant so they tissue-cultured it and sent it out into the world labelled that way. This is how the problem of multiple versions of a plant can happen.

I have August Moons that simply won't enlarge, while other growers insist it grows just fine. Mine produce maybe one new bud per year, if that. Mine are duds as far as performance goes. But they look fine. Oh well.

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

My experience is that it pouts for two years when you change where it lives. Some of them just do not like being disturbed. Now that it’s been in the same place for a couple of years it’s doing ok.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    4 years ago

Esther, does it flower for you?

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Connie, you made me laugh. I don't recall whether this thing flowers for me. Doesn't sound familiar though. The 2 leaves it made so far, with all the other potted up hostas around it blasting from the soil, are about the size of a green pea, together. It's pathetic.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    4 years ago

I’ve had mine for a long time, and I did have to move it from the original spot because it didn’t flower there...it needed a bit more sun. In the new location it flowers every year and it has outgrown its space. If you were in Canada & lived close by I’d offer you a piece!

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked ConnieMay ON Z6a