hello! i’m looking to refresh and modernize my living room and kitchen

Francesca ReDavid
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Comments (25)

• Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am thinking of paining the hood above our stove white and the island white. also changing the backsplash creamy white and paining the walls white. what do you all think?

• jck910
    4 years ago

Total gut job? Just paint? Backsplash? Countertops? BUDGET?

• samondragon
    4 years ago

The difficulties I see are that huge brick/stone statement wall & itty bitty fireplace, TV & console in awkward corner position, lack of furniture. I really dislike those living room bars...takes up wall space. You mentioned wanting to refresh your kitchen also... more photos would help as well as room dimensions.

Francesca ReDavid thanked samondragon
  • Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    4 years ago

budget is 40K for everything. is that enough? i need new furniture for sure. i will measure the room now and get back to you.

• Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    4 years ago

living room is 13 x18.5

• Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@jck910 budget is 40k. want to avoid a total gut job but am willing to try and plan that out. ive lived here for 5 years and it’s long overdue renovation

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Do you like this? I know its a tough mock up but it gives you an ideas. I don't think painting the hood and island white is helping the kitchen.

I see you mention a $40k budget. And another poster mentioned other rooms but I only see the pictures of a kitchen. Maybe some posts are missing?

• Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Design Interior South you’re right! doesn’t look that hot 😟 here’s the living room. excuse the clutter

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Thank you. Can you take a photo of the kitchen standing at the hood looking out? One of the sink counter and how it related to whole space. Trying to figure our exact layout to best advise.

Francesca ReDavid thanked Design Interior South
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Also tell me what you DON'T like about your space?

• Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Design Interior South i don’t like that it looks dated. i have small children so i also need something simple and functional. Would love something brighter and warmer if that makes sense and more aesthetically pleasing. In general i find this very overwhelming.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

I also would get rid of the appliance garage to the left of the stove to get more counter space as well as open that up and have more back splash showing etc. The same can be said for the two vertical pieces that connect to each side of your hood. You have the opportunity to really make that hood a beautiful feature by choosing a light backsplash and taking it up the wall behind it. But these cabinet features are hindering that.

Also I was feeling like your cabinets were in excellent condition but now I am questioning this bases on the cabinet under the sink???? I may be seeing something that isnt there but is the finish compromised on the doors under the sink?

• Cynthia Abbott
    4 years ago

You have a bright beautiful home. Love the view out your windows! Following

Francesca ReDavid thanked Cynthia Abbott
  • Raeleen Orme
    4 years ago

Wow! I am VERY impressed with the ideas mentioned by Design Interior South. Great minimal suggestions while keeping in mind the budget and issues that the owner desires to be corrected. All ideas will make a positive impact.

Francesca ReDavid thanked Raeleen Orme
  • Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much @Design Interior South!! yes i took the window treatments down. We live on a golf course so the views are really pretty and out old window treatments were also dated and need updating. Yes the birdcage is in the dining room. i moved the table out and am in the process of getting a new one. I love your ideas!! I would say my style is modern classic. For the living room, i was thinking of removing the tv stand, extending the stone and white washing it. The windows — i thought painting them black might make the most of the views. i love the black/white and wood trend. Under the sink was baby proof but i think i screwed the wood when i took of the baby lock

• Mark Brunner
    4 years ago

Not a pro. Start by removing the backsplash. I’m willingly to bet when that’s gone, you’ll gain a whole new perspective.

Francesca ReDavid thanked Mark Brunner
  • izeve
    4 years ago

Remove the cabinets flanking the cooktop or move them up to the same level as the other upper cabinets. Get rid of the appliance garages. Change the backsplash and the countertops. Make the island one level.

Francesca ReDavid thanked izeve
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

I took a look at your inspiration photos. I can see you like clear crisp black and white. I ponder whether you would be happy with the oak mocha cabinets as is. So that would be my first question for you to really think about.

As far as painting your windows. They appear to be white vinyl and I really don't recommend it. But depending on what is decided on and done to the cabinets etc. , painting your doors black might be a real possibility.

As far as the fireplace. I understand why you feel overpowered by the stone. I want to show you a similar stone painted just to see if you care for it.

Fireplaces · More Info

Do you use the wet bar/wine fridge and fireplace?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

I would put changing your stove wall (remove cabinets) and countertops and backsplash as priorities. Then paint the walls a soft white to compliment your trim. Level the island area. Remove the TV cabinet and mount you TV next to FP and maybe add a floating console. I would keep bar area if you actually use it. Then with buying new sofa, swivel chairs, rug, bar stools, lighting- I think you may have reached your budget.

Francesca ReDavid thanked Gcubed
  • Katie B.
    4 years ago

Have you seen this article?

I highly recommend it

https://mariakillam.com/how-to-update-90s-granite-and-make-it-disappear/

Your Granite reminds me of this remodel

Paint cabinets, Backsplash, hardware, lighting, remove some cabinetry as DIS suggested

You have great bones here and I think you could conserve most of what you have to modernize things

here‘s the full article about the first kitchen in the article I linked. They did this kitchen update for $1000. Amazing. https://www.chrislovesjulia.com/our-modern-cottage-kitchen-makeover-on-the-cheap/

Before

After

They also painted their windows black (no idea if that’s possible with your windows).

Modern doesn’t have to be white cabinets or new counters

Francesca ReDavid thanked Katie B.
  • Katie B.
    4 years ago

One more thing- you can trim out white windows in black to get a similar black frame window look.

Francesca ReDavid thanked Katie B.
  • Francesca ReDavid
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Katie B for the articles. What a transformation! Thank you also @Gcubed.I think that plans sounds good. I agree with all that backsplash needs to go. The problem with that room is there are no windows, and the wood makes it even darker. @Design Interior South Yes that is sort of what I'm going for but a bit beiger/softer than the crisp white.Thank you all for the suggestions.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Francesca, you're welcome. I would highly recommend that in your budget you keep some set aside for lighting. Adding can lights to the kitchen is going to be instrumental whether you paint the cabinets or not. Paint can only do so much in brightening a space. There needs to be light whether real or artificial and based on the little bit of the ceiling I can see in your photos you really don't have nearly enough lighting.

Based on your inspiration photos I have some thoughts. You should be able to get someone to repair your under sink doors if you choose to stay with your cabinets as is. If you were to do that I would definitely recommend the steps I outlined above as well as some brighter hardware.

That said I question whether you will be happy doing that. So I would consider this for kitchen:

1. Remove skinny cabinet details on each side of hood

2. remove appliance garage to left of stove

3. take down sink counter to one level

4. Paint the cabinetry a warm white

5 wrap bottom portion of hood in a wood.

6. paint door (pantry?) black?

7. If you wanted a contrasting cabinet bank painting the island or the sink bank of cabinets a black and then wrapping the dry wall back side in the same wood as on the hood would look wonderful

8. add new hardware to cabinets

9. new tile backsplash taken up to ceiling behind hood

10. new countertops

11. chandelier/pendent over island

For family room have you ever considered covering the fireplace stone with drywall and moulding?