Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppapoodle

What would you do to update this bathroom?

Peppapoodle
4 years ago

All the tile is in decent shape. Trying not to do a gut job, work w hard surfaces. Replace tub.

Its ok it you cringe a little!!

Comments (12)

• chispa
    4 years ago

The finishes are a bit 90s, but it looks like you have a nice space and plenty of light. It looks clean too, which is always a good start!

Hard to tell the color of the tile. Is is pink-ish?

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

The brass on the shower dates things. The tub surround's wood isn't working for me, but perhaps just painting it out white would do the trick. What's to the left of the tub? The great sink base should stand alone as the wood piece. I suppose the wall of mirror would be considered dated...but not worth the hassle to remove and hang separate smaller mirrors...IMHO

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You pegged it, from the 90’s! Yes, the floor tile is pinkish, as is the tub & toilet. The sinks are hand painted w pinkish flowers. The shower & tub deck tile is a marble “look alike”. The finishes fit the house, which is based off a southern plantation home in LA. I don’t want to modernize it & don’t want to invest the $ either. It needs a lot!

Yes, agree to paint the wood around the tub. Paint the sink base?

To the left is another wood panel/drawers, pull out laundry hamper. Frameless glass shower surround, new shower fixtures.

The tub is huge, old jacuzzi. Must be replaced, can’t stand the thought of that nasty water in the lines, gross,

Would like something like this.......

But, what material for the top? Don’t know if it should be marble, since it has the faux marble tiles, too many different hard surfaces. Maybe white corian?

Since it has wallpaper, thought maybe this.......ive been dying to use this. Allison used the fabric in one of her bedrooms = love!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

pp, what's your budget for this room? What do the decorative trim tiles look like?

The reddish tones of wood of the tub surround and vanity enhance the pink of the floor tiles and vice versa. So I think painting both the tub surround and vanity would help.

Even before hearing that the house is in LA with a southern plantation style, I was thinking a pale green would work well with the pink flooring. If you go with the B&F wallpaper, I would choose one of the colorways with more green (the green or silver).

Thinking of the surfaces to paint and the wallpaper, how good is the HVAC/air circulation in the room?

PS hope you and your family are all doing well.

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Becky!! Hope you & yours are well! We will be opening back up next Monday in phases.

Ill get some close ups of the tile. I’m still thinking about purchasing this house- just trying to have everything picked so I can order & start work. The house needs a lot to update, so I’ve got to be budget wise. Just wait for the kitchen post!

i love the other color ways, as well & hadn’t thought of those.

^^^^ w a soft blue ceiling!!! Maybe vanity a soft blue?

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a close up of the tile & border.....

Im not married to the B&G- there are other rooms I can use it. Thought maybe a wonderful wallpaper could tie everything together & give it a little Botox!

This shows the cabinet next to tub

Im open to ideas!!

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is walking into the bathroom....there’s a dressing/sitting area behind. Weird layout

Here is the area behind.....:

Here is the vanity, yes- it’s angled & floating in the room.....

• chispa
    4 years ago

I think I would paint the tub surround a white that goes with the marble-look tile. I wouldn't paint the vanity, but how about adding a marble top to it with under mounted sinks? Put in a new drop in white tub. Hard to make suggestions without seeing the colors in person ...

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I love that first photo you posted of the dining room with the brass chandelier and green colourway. That's sort of the style I envision for the bathroom. Though that freestanding vanity arrangement is very peculiar lol.

That accent tile is much nicer than I thought it was.

I think you could probably do some cosmetic updates for now, and maybe down the road change the layout -- weird floating vanity -- and then the flooring.

We're fine here on our farm (this is the time of year where I tend to be anti-social anyway, hunkered down in the garden and greenhouse lol) though the province is under lockdown and everything has been canceled through the summer; our part of the province is doing well, but further south in Calgary there are lots of outbreaks at nursing and assisted living homes, and at the meat-processing plants, all of which are a huge concern.

• Jean
    4 years ago

I think a white marble top on the vanity with new undermount sinks would make a huge difference. You could darken the stain on the vanity wood as well. Change the vanity mirrors ...Paint the tub surround and cabinet white and also new drop in tub...but by the time you do all that and spend the $ for tub and marble, you could probably have redone it. Can you post a floorplan?

• PRO
    Build Beautiful
    4 years ago

Lots of good opinions here. The truth is, once you start removing finishes & hardware, you may compromise the tile work.

If you want to talk more specifically about your needs & opportunities, hit me up on my profile!

For some low-cost options, please check out my video below.

Thanks,

-frank

Build Beautiful Homes

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!