Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christina_c99

Can you paint windows?

CeeCee
3 years ago

Long story short, we wanted black interior windows and we got white. they’re installed now and there’s nothing much we can do at this point, but my vision of our dream home is ruined. Does anyone know if we could possibly spray paint the interior windows black?

Comments (22)

• David Cary
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You can do anything.

I assume that is vinyl interior?

It would be better to remove and reinstall correct windows.

There are vinyl paints but boy the tracks and any rubbing areas would look horrible pretty quickly.

You ask about windows and show a picture of a door. Are we talking about a lot of windows?

And you say they are installed, but somehow you have a pic of an incorrect uninstalled door. So you knew and let them install it?

CeeCee thanked David Cary
  • CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is our house without the windows installed yet. I just didn’t take a proper picture when I was there. The left window and right 3 windows don‘t open. The one in the middle is a sliding door to the deck. The sliding door you see in the picture is for the basement.

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Close up picture of the large windows that don’t open

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Front windows showing black exterior.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"we wanted black interior windows and we got white"

Whose mistake in the order process? Nothing good in the long term will come from painting the interior if brand new windows.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

What is the interior? Vinyl? Can you pain vinyl...yes. It takes a special king of paint and application process, but it can be done. Depending on what they were doing to make the windows black on the inside before, it may or may not be as durable. a finish.

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We asked for Black windows..

we are not builders, so to us, a black window is a black window. they didn’t explain to us that it would be black on the outside and white on the inside.

its our fault for not being specific (we didn’t know any different) and their fault for not asking. It’s going to cost too much to have them taken out and reordered (apparently they’re custom)

we were planning to paint all interior doors black.. so ill either have to live with these white windows or figure out a way to paint them.

• PRO
    3 years ago

What are the windows? Vinyl, wood, etc.?

• PRO
    3 years ago

If they are wood, its not really a big deal. You don't have grids in them which is great so you needn't contend with those and a professional painter can give you as good, if not better, than a factory finish if its a wood window.

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Windows on Washington Ltd they are vinyl and all the back windows don’t open except for the sliding door.

• rustynail
    3 years ago

CeeCee, you can still paint your interior doors black if you like. Our windows and all trim are white, our interior doors are Sherwin Williams Urbane Bronze.

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rustynail im leaning towards that now and slowly accepting we will have white windows and black doors. its hard when you had a vision of how your house is going to look. it’s nice to know that will work. Would love to see pics

• User
    3 years ago

IMO, black is a poor choice for an interior finish on anything. The fact that it reflects no color is a missed opportunity if not downright depressing. Are you going to paint the interior trim black too? The walls? I saw that in a house lived in by a rock band in the early 70's. For what free advice is worth, I think you dodged a bullet.

But that's not what you asked. If you sand white vinyl, mask it carefully and spray it with paint made for plastic, it will work. However, black will not cover white very well and you might need multiple thin coats with sanding in between. Different grades of Scotch-Brite are good. Wear a mask.

I tested it on a PVC drain spout once and found that the undsanded sample could be scraped off but the sanded sample could not. I recommend testing it before using it on windows. If it eventually fails, I guess you would need to do it all over again.

• chiflipper
    3 years ago

Deep breath and glass of wine is called for. White window interiors will be fine. This "failure to communicate" is all too common. The devil is always in the details.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I think now there are really only 2 choices paint the wood trim black or live with the white. Next time you will remember to dot the Is and cross the Ts . There are many pics on google of white trim and black doors . I think I would insist on a black patio door on both sides since this is the only “window” that opens it will get lots of wear and tear. so a factory finish is better.

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

Before doing anything, I would check to make sure painting them doesn't void your warranty.

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

Are you going to trim your windows on the interior? You could paint your trim black.

Nothing is perfect. My in-laws built a home and every custom-made vanity was 6 inches too short. They had a talented carpenter rework them. Of course, they were very frustrated, but now they could care less. It looks great. I’ve looked into black vinyl windows, and white on the interior is the default. I wouldn’t have known that, or assumed that, had I not specifically asked. But my advice is- don’t replace them or paint them. An unfortunate lesson-learned, but not a catastrophe. I’m sure you can find dream-worthy images with white windows. Put your time into searching for new inspiration photos.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

It may be a good idea to live in the house for a while to see if white windows on the interior impedes on your vision of your dream as much as you think.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

Painting the interior or exterior of a vinyl window will void warranty( unless the exter is factory painted). There are not any vinyl window companies that even offer a painted vinyl interior.It would be a bad idea to even try Unless it was a stationary unit and even then I wouldn’t.

CeeCee thanked toddinmn
  • shead
    3 years ago

I was going to suggest the same as Mark ^^^^. Give it 6 months before making any decisions. Speaking from experience, there are some things that feel so overwhelmingly important in the construction process (a/k/a "the hill to die on") but, in time, end up being of little consequence.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

Then there are those litttle things that will bother you forever.