Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jac200

Fireplace - to paint or not?

Jac_200
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

cannot decide even after going through many threads on this topic. Posting our pictures for your suggestions/comments. Would like to keep the mantle and shelves as-is (stained). Paint being considered is Brick-Anew Twilight Taupe.

Furniture/decor ideas are also welcome. This is the family room with a wall of windows (on left of pic). Room is left open for now. FP is gas burning.

Comments (8)

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I would consider removing all the shelving or painting it in a color that complements the brick.

Jac_200 thanked freedomplace1
  • lindseywaugh
    3 years ago

I know this is a third choice but have you considered whitewashing it? That seems to be a middle ground without going all the way to paint, but would still brighten it up.

Jac_200 thanked lindseywaugh
  • cd7733
    3 years ago

I think that would look nice and transform the room! My friend did something similar but her fireplace was only the column kind. It really helped update her 1970's house.

Edit to add: she graywashed it with a diluted Sherwin Williams paint: "I used 1/3 of Sherwin Williams light French gray paint and 2/3 water. You can use any color paint, but this one is my fav. Mix it up and paint with a brush. It’s very watery and messy, but so pretty!"

Jac_200 thanked cd7733
  • Jac_200
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you; an option we never thought of before.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

After looking at lots of pictures before I painted my brick fireplace, I decided not to white wash as it felt too busy and with your room having that much brick, I think solid white will look better.

Idea below is harder to imagine - the sides of fireplace are brick instead and mantle and shelves stained to match your floor, as I think yours are too dark.

In regards to furniture placement, it’s hard to recommend without having a sense of the whole room, but below may work with a few alterations. You have a lovely bench at window so place the two chairs on opposite side of room. Add grey accents and love the room below. Get seating, then rug, then accessorize. It’s exciting - good luck.

Jac_200 thanked Maureen
  • Sel Bee
    3 years ago

I second the idea of whitewashing or graywashing the fireplace. If it's still "too busy" then you could go all the way and paint it a solid color as suggested above!

Jac_200 thanked Sel Bee
  • cat_ky
    3 years ago

I wouldnt paint any of it. I like it a lot, just the way it is, but, if you do, really want to paint it, use a wash. I wouldnt use a white wash. I would pick a color, that goes well with your floors (lighter color, of course). Solid color always looks like fake or plastic to me, where the wash doesnt.

Jac_200 thanked cat_ky