Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rema_zawi

Awkward large pie lot, dont know what to do !

Rema Zawi
3 years ago

I have this new house with a awkward pie lot thats a pretty good size. see attached plan. Behind us are some trees and then a 4 story apartment building and to the right corner a busy street. My main thing is privacy for the whole back fence, which is a city black iron fence that i cannot change. I have 3 little boys and i plan to put a playground there for them. Right now we just laid down grass and there is nothing else there. no trees no plants. We do have a deck attached to the house with the built. I want to also have a small area to plant mint and some herbs but then again my kids will be kicking around a ball. I thought of a patio as well but where exactly? the sides of the backyard are at an angle. I like the idea also of raised planter/wall thing. This is our first time and I am so confused but like so many things. For design style, i prefer modern look but still like to have flowers and the like. we also need a side for a shed. the right side of the house is where the gate is. the closed end is at the left in picture. thank you !

Comments (11)

• Rema Zawi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Sel Bee
    3 years ago

I wonder about keeping the right side more open, where the gate is located, for the kids to play in, with their playground at the back right.

You could then have the shed (and possibly patio on the left, depending on where the stairs for the deck are. I myself ideally want the stairs to go right onto the patio to connect them).

Or you could build a shed in the back right and build their playground off of it.

Are you concerned with privacy? You could plant a hedge in front of the low fence and let it grow up for privacy. Can you just build your own fence in front of it within your property line?

Rema Zawi thanked Sel Bee
  • kitasei2
    3 years ago

I think you are very lucky that the municipal fence is so attractive.

Rema Zawi thanked kitasei2
  • indianagardengirl
    3 years ago

What are the very faint dotted lines in your drawing? Do they represent an easement? If so you may not be able to put structure or hardscape in that area.

Rema Zawi thanked indianagardengirl
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

Some things you do, such as shed placement, will be limited by regulations. So you'll need to get a general familiarity with the regulations before you get too deep into planning.

Don't add things to the yard "because you like them." Add things that you need, and make them be how you like them. If you need something, chances are a future owner will need it too. If you add stuff because you "like those things," chances are a future owner will not appreciate it, want it removed, and the ROI will be $0 or minus some figure. The "planter/wall thing" comment is why I'm mentioning it. (The same could be said for freestanding waterfall features that were quite popular at one time.)

Redraw the plan you submitted above, leaving out all detail except the basic features (house, fence, deck, walk, drive, steps, etc., creating an enlargement at a specific scale, such as 1"=10' or 1"=8'. Use a copy of that base plan to sketch your ideas of where things should go, and their shape and size. Start getting specific about what you add, such as play equipment, so you can draw things their actual scale size. Submit your work here for a critique at any point where you want feedback. I would suggest getting feedback at an early organizational stage. If you get too invested in a design that has some elementary flaws, it will be emotionally harder for you to let go of them. Landscaping, especially hardscaping, tends to be expensive or hard labor or both. Try to keep your ideas down to earth so your plan doesn't become just an academic exercise.

Rema Zawi thanked Yardvaark
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

The far point where the street is - wonder about a small ornamental tree like japanese maple [that will grow larger there]. There'd be a small triangle of space beyond the tree, for what? mint and such in a raised planter, safe from thrown balls and frisbees, sort of...

Rema Zawi thanked everdebz
  • mtpo
    3 years ago

Where is north? What planting zone are you in?

if you want a small garden for vegetables and herbs, it will need good sun. A good landscape designer will help you plan what goes where. Although talented people on this site will likely offer helpful advice, I think there’s a benefit to having a local landscaper walk your yard and give you advice.

Does your vegetable garden need to be fenced off to keep animals out?

Are you going to put in an automatic watering system?

Is it realistic for you to do all of the hardscape, plantings, beds and mulching yourself? Some landscape designers will not charge for the design if they do the work (or will credit the design fee towards the plantings etc). A local landscape professional will know what grows well in your area and will (hopefully) consider the drainage in your yard, zoning requirements/restrictions, etc.

The landscaper will want to know what you want, how much time and money you are planning to put into maintaining the space, and your initial budget. You can ask the landscaper to design a plan that you can put into effect in phases.

BTW, you have a lovely, large yard. The fence is nice. Post more photos when you get some of the work done.

Rema Zawi thanked mtpo
  • Rema Zawi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you ALL for your help. I am glad i didnt go ahead with anything because you were right there might be some permit i need and those dots might indicate structural restrictions. For example a shed. I am waiting on someone to get back to me regarding the regulations and permit.

I am still confused on design and i am really still not sure what I want or need. I would like something very beautiful but at the same time practical and useable. I havent tried a summer here yet but ive heard of mosquito complaints and some neighbors said they rarely sit in their back yards. hmm... That kinda sucks if I go through all that landscaping and money and never really end up enjoying it lol. My kids are 8, 6 and 1.5 years old and am hoping have a nice backward would lure them away from their electronics and enjoy the outdoors more. My husband doesnt want a permanent structure for a playground but want that for safety for the kids but then again placement of the playground...with a patio and shed and garden just confused me and to think the playground will also be temporary eventually kids will out grow.

Am just confused. I took above advice and drew up what i think makes sense to me and i took more pictures because those other ones it was raining. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts more.

• Rema Zawi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

regarding zones am not sure. i will find out but my backyard gets the sun ALL day long. i believe its south facing. the back of my house is always sunny all day.

• mtpo
    3 years ago

@Rema Zawi, your plan doesn’t show your house layout & the windows. When you look out each window, what do you want to see? Do you want to keep an eye on your kids playing in the yard from your kitchen? From your family room?

I suggest that you do not just put a straight line of bushes or evergreens along the fence. If you look online, you can check out what planting zone you are in. Once you know that, you can find lists of what grows well in your zone. You can get lots of garden design ideas online. However, given that you say you are a novice at this, IMHO, you’ll likely get the best result if you put together a list Of things you want (and don’t want), print out pictures, and then consult with a professional in your area.

Rema Zawi thanked mtpo