Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfmally

Big Empty Bedroom Wall

Sarah Malzahn
3 years ago

Please help! I'm struggling to fill this big empty wall in our master bedroom. My designer suggested an armoire but I don't really want to spend thousands of dollars for storage that I don't really need. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can decorate this space?

Master bedroom · More Info

Comments (26)

• ilikefriday
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sarah Malzahn thanked ilikefriday
  • Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

agree that it can be an art wall. one huge piece or more of a gallery feeling with a bunch of different pieces of art.

Sarah Malzahn thanked Theresa Janssen
  • Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

heres an idea for a gallery wall... depends on what type of art you like, but concept..

Mediterranean · More Info

Sarah Malzahn thanked Theresa Janssen
  • Kim
    3 years ago

Yes, I was thinking of something like this triptych. You could put a long console table under if you wanted something to take up floor space. I'm assuming you have all your clothes in a walk-in closet.

Sarah Malzahn thanked Kim
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

I am struggling with the dresser and TV placement. Where it currently is isn't the "natural" place for it. I would have placed it on the large wall and then done a wall of art where it is. The small dimilune is only adding to the scale being disproportioned and the expanse of wall and I would take it out of the room completely.

• Sarah Malzahn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I hear you. That wall has the cable outlet actually. Originally I was going to put it there but it seemed too far (17') from the headboard. I will consider that still. Thanks for the advice.

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    3 years ago

Number one, thank you for good pictures that show your room from several angles!

Number two, I agree with Design Interior South. Your dresser and TV are on the wrong wall. They should be on the wall opposite your bed, to help balance the headboard and windows.

• Seajay Sparkles
    3 years ago

Hi Sarah. I was just getting ready to say that since the cable outlet is across from the bed, you should consider moving the dresser and TV there. Then the gallery wall would be pretty to take its place.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Armoires are a dime a dozen on Craigslist. I purchased a $10,000 unit for $200. So keep an eye out and see if you can secure some fabulous piece.

All of these below are currently for sale on my Craigslist for as little as $20 and as much as $400. Happy Hunting.

• Kim
    3 years ago

Haha, for some reason, I didn't even see the tv in that photo as I was focused solely on the empty wall. The idea of putting a tv on that wall crossed my mind, but I was actually relieved you didn't have a giant tv facing your bed. ; )

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I have an idea to try (depends on whether you will have TV in this room or not) but easy to try. Move your chairs to long wall and get better scale table lamp with artwork behind it. Then put a beautiful ladies desk in the “bay” window with a pretty chair, lamp and possibly a nice green plant. Your rug doesn’t look big enough for your scale furniture but you could add an animal skin rug for chair grouping to remedy that issue. Here are a few examples.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Wow... love Flo’s idea...that way you can see the view from the chairs as well...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

I might also try pulling the rug out so there is not so much bare wood at the end of the bed

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here are a couple rough mock ups.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Items plus a pillow for leather chairs. Ideas.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

The chairs that you have that I assume you are using to view the tv are actually further away from the tv than if the tv were on the other wall. I don’t see that the tv on the side wall is very good for tv viewing from the bed. I do like Flos idea of a beautiful desk facing the beautiful windows though. I want a sofa at the foot of the bed and have the tv on facing wall ; inside an armoire or over a console.

• Julie Armstrong
    3 years ago

mirrors!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

We have similar master bedroom with antique mirrored doors Armoire with seating area in front of wall of windows. We have a TV in the armoire but we seldom use it.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

love your armoire. gorgeous and so vintage feeling to me. makes me want one.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Such a pretty room Flo.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Thanks. It is late 1800s French one I got from an antique dealer friend who was shutting down. We have moved it 6 times! Just great size and fits anywhere. Love it.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

gotta love forever pieces... we have some family heirlooms that we will make sure we always have a place for in every home...

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

How about an armoire that will hide the t.v. and putting artwork or a mirror above the dresser?

• Cheryl Smith
    3 years ago

My first thought was also that the tv should be on that wall to give you the best view from bed but hiding it in an cabinet that would be closed when not watching would be nice.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

You could make your room a reading retreat by adding a console (with tv above) and store books, magazines, and photo albums, etc. Try pulling your rug out as well

Suggest replacing the small table between chairs with something larger to make that area feel more substantial; but more importantly, for the addition of a good reading lamp, book, coffee cup, etc.

Add pillow and a throw and for more comfort, you could move the chairs back a bit as there seems to be room and add ottomans.