Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
english_karen15

Final plans for kitchen

English Karen
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

After many changes and input from you guys, I finally have the plans for my kitchen. I’m pretty much set on a Thermador wall hood and 36” induction cooktop. 5cm mitered edge on the quartz on the 7 x 5’ island and 3cm quartz on the perimeter. Omega cabinetry (not chosen the door style yet). Maple Beach House white for perimeter cabinets and QSO Porch Swing brushed sepia for Island. Same quartz for all - thinking Calacatta Leon or similar. Appliances are stainless steel (already have) stainless 33” sink. Separate walk in pantry. Still to choose backsplash colour, once 100% on door choice and colour. We have walnut plank porcelain tile on the floor. 10’ ceilings with the cabinets going to the ceiling. Any additional thoughts or comments appreciated.

Comments (16)

• felizlady
    3 years ago

You need plenty of space between both sides of the island and the perimeter cabinetry.
    I like 48” minimum. What is the proposed measurement between the edge of the island counter to the edge of the sink counter? Don’t have the island built until you have planned the layout of appliances. You need to be able to stand in front of the open oven door to lift something out if the oven. You need to know how tall the oven door is to know how far out you will need to stand with the oven door open. A larger person will need more space than a smaller person, but I think 48” is a good minimum measurement for all of the kitchen walkways and prep zones. There may be two people in the kitchen at one time and they need space to pass each other. A smaller island may be more useful than a 5’x7’ island if it allows you to move around more easily.

English Karen thanked felizlady
  • kazzuk
    3 years ago

Thank you. Its 48” from the oven to the island and 54” from the fridge to the island.

• kazzuk
    3 years ago

It appears I have 2 accounts on here, sorry, not sure how that happened.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I don't recall if I commented on your previous thread(s). I think I'd put the tall appliances on the wall to the right and center the cooktop and hood on the longer wall (if it can be vented there). Then with the DW to the right of the sink, you can store dishes across the aisle, and prep to the left of the sink. Frankly, I don't think you have enough prep space on the island--NKBA recommends at least 36"--but you could move from rinsing items at the sink, to the right of the cooktop to finish prep.

How deep is the seating overhang? The minimum recommended is 15" at counter height.

This is not to scale, but gives a rough idea of the layout:

Similar to bottom middle appliance pantry:

English Karen thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • kazzuk
    3 years ago

We’re going for a 15” overhang. The island is 84” wide by 60” deep. Is this not enough space for prep? I’ll certainly run your idea past my designer. I never thought of moving the fridge to that wall.

• kazzuk
    3 years ago

This is with dimensions

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

You have 10 ft from edge of fridge to corner . I’d put a quite small sink half way along there. Then I’d make the island sink a deep single bowl. This will make your functions while at cook surface improved w the water source so much closer And still the counter stretch between fridge and this smallish sink will be ample. The counter on either side of island sink even w 27 in single bowl is a mere 27 in . And you have a dbl bowl so the space on the island will not be as usable as you think so employing that long run will become integral ... add a small sink...,adding even another 10 inches of length to island , or more, might be wise if you can.

English Karen thanked herbflavor
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Here's a quick rearrangement, without the appliance garage. Cabinet widths will need to be readjusted. If you have a cutting board made to fit over the sink, you can extend the prep space on the island:

• maggieq
    3 years ago

I like Mama Goose's change. More open space as you enter kitchen, vice being closed in (so to speak) with tall walls on either end.

• Tamara Novak
    3 years ago

Microwave?

• English Karen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The microwave is above the oven

• auntthelma
    3 years ago

I almost always agree with mama goose. In fact, I think this is the first time I’ve ever not thought her changes are brilliant. Mama, forgive me, but I like the stovetop away from the sink. More room for two people. One cooking on the stovetop and the other either prepping or cleaning at the sink.

I vote for the original layout Just This Once.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

auntthelma, you do not need to ask for forgiveness. :) Layout depends on cooking style, so you make a good point. I always like a separate clean-up zone with convenient dish storage, but that comes from experience in my own kitchen. I think with a 54" aisle there will be plenty of space for two workers, but definitely more individual space in the original layout.

• Tamara Novak
    3 years ago

Missed it. Oops! I like the layout. Working on remodeling my own kitchen. A small 12 x12 layout. Unfortunately, there is no room for a microwave.

• itsourcasa
    3 years ago

It looks great!! We have the exact same walkways... 54" fridge to island and 48" stove to island. It's perfect. I love the layout, I wouldn't change the doors as suggested, I like double upper doors rather than big singles. And I wouldn't add a 2nd sink it doesn't seem necessary, my kitchen is double the width of yours and I don't have a 2nd sink or a need for one.

English Karen thanked itsourcasa