Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crumblycreations

Wall color help

Melissa McC
3 years ago

Remodeling home with smaller but open galley kitchen with large island. White shaker cabinets, River White granite, cortec LVF in Manila Oak. Wondering if I should also do white walls to keep it light & bright in there (does feel a little dark at certain times of the day) or would that be too much white? Or do a light warm grayish color on the walls? 🤔

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

we don't know. there are no pictures.

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am trying to achieve something similar to this.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

you're asking about your kitchen and what we think about colors. how can we answer you if we don't know what you space looks like?

you want this look? does your kitchen look like this w/all the lighting and the natural light?

Maw · More Info

they also used a soft gray paint on the walls

Crushed Ice would be a nice choice. So Would BM Light Pewter or Pale Oak

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don’t really have pictures because it’s basically completely gutted. We took everything down to the studs. It was a really old house near the beach. Just finished plumbing & electric. Insulation & drywall going in his week

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

The walls in your inspiration pic are definitely a warm white/beige type of color / at least on my screen. Would be similar to Benjamin Moore’s Navajo White, I think... along those lines.

If the space feels dark at times, forget the grey paint.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Ok. So you're putting in white shakers and river white.

This is my favorite river white kitchen. they used Lunada Bay glass tile backsplash. It's stunning.

Their floors a warmer, reddish wood tone, so that helps keep it from looking too cold. Don't know what type of floors you plan on doing.

another river white w/softer gray walls

gray island, soft blue walls, oak floors

again. warm wood floors. can you see how the wood lends warmth to an otherwise 'icy' looking kitchen? Please do something besides white subway tile.

If you want white, then do something like these iridescent glass tiles. they are perfect for the beach.

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is Layout (essentially😋) As you can see there’s a door with glass panel on the left end of the kitchen, small window above sink & decent size sliding glass door, however, the sliding glass door leads out to a large covered patio so the light coming in from there & the small window is not direct sunlight. There isnt much wall area to cover with paint other than the wall on the far right side where pantry & small bar are. (There is open wall space there which is not shown on my completely not-to-scale very rough sketch😋) ...I do love those iridescent glass backsplash tiles. That was another dilemma, whether to do a colored backsplash or white. (I’m not a fan of plain White subway tiles for a kitchen backsplash) but I was thinking possibly a light gray???

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I think in that one photo they used the Agate glass backsplash.

here's the 1x4 brick in the grays.

they make them in a herringbone too

these glass tiles are so pretty and perfect for the beach.

http://www.lunadabaytile.com/LBT_agate.html Check on the color palette and maybe you can get some samples.

if you want something larger, one solid color, try this DalTile Horizons in Moonlight. I LOVE this glass tile. Grab some samples (they have other colors too) so you'll have them on hand once install is complete. Many diff places sell this tile.

Here's the white color. comes in the larger subway size too

Oceanside Glasstile is the white glass tile I showed you picture of. One of the others is CasaCalif and they have a ton of colors. here's the color page. Then you'd pick your size and shape you like. you can have samples of those sent to you too

http://tools.glasstile.com/casa-california-color-palette.aspx

here's a plain, gray glass tile

• Jenn Hoffman Ambler,PA (7A)
    3 years ago

We have repose gray and I love it! Our floors are a little warmer than yours but I think repose goes with a lot of tones of wood. I’ve posted some photos for you to see that the color can look different in different types of light and time of day. It’s light and gray but still has some warmth to it. Some people like almost all white in their house but I like a little more contrast-I don’t think either looks wrong though as long as you add some small pops of accent color (pillows, paintings, vases, etc.) .

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, there are going to be 3 (most likely clear glass) pendant lights over the “island” & downlights for the rest of the kitchen. Again my concern is will it be too much white & not enough color if go with white backsplash & white walls or will the Oakey floor provide enough warmth & color 🤔🤔🤔this is a tiny sample of the flooring

3 years ago

I love that floor color! IMO I think it would look gorgeous with a light gray.

• User
    3 years ago

Fix the layout before you worry about paint.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

3 years ago

What is wrong with the layout? Geez some people on here-she wasn't asking for layout advice she was asking for color advice.

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Beth! That is AWSOME!!!...& yup too late to change layout & we were somewhat limited as far as altering the original floor plans for a number of reasons but working with what we have! 👍 ...And are quite happy with it actually.

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So here’s one more question, if I end up painting the walls simply white (which is more of a cream color) would you recommend painting the trim & baseboards the same or a brighter/whiter white? (I am clearly new at this😋 & I’ve always had a light color on the walls with white trim so painting the walls a shade of white is new territory for me🤷🏻‍♀️)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Crumbly,,I don't think I posted my pic of my living room. I have Simply White on both. because the trim paint is a semi-gloss, it will look a little 'whiter' than the eggshell finish on the walls. Both are Simply White and it's not 'creamy'. it's just a nice white without looking 'sterile'.

on the wall in the kitchen is Light Pewter. it's a soft, warmer gray. Trim is still Simply white

Stick w/the same white unless you want an obviously looking different. (but why would you?)

or, what's getting popular is painting the walls white and the trim a darker color. grays, blues, blacks..

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

eam44, drywall will be done at the end of next week so my husband says I should have a good idea of what we’re doing for paint, I’m also on Maui so many things take 4-6 weeks if they need to be special ordered (like tile, etc.) so I’m painting pieces of plywood & taking them over there & doing my best to try to figure it out.

Thanks Beth, I do love the look of the simply white on the walls (& the light pewter too 🤔...I think that’s actually what I painted our living room in our previous home) my main concern was whether the simply white would look “creamy” next to the cabinets. I’m going to paint a sample & see. The other white a few people have suggested is Swiss Coffee🤷🏻‍♀️

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just for fun, here’s what it looks like as of this evening around 5pm & also what it looked like before we essentially tore it down😬 Not sure this helps much. But gives a sense of what the natural light is like in there.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I think you have to keep in mind that your former kitchen may have had very poor lighting, if what I am seeing is a fluorescent light as the main light source. And I don’t think you had under cabinet lighting from what I see here, but I could be wrong.

But the idea is, if that is a fluorescent light I am seeing, keep in mind that fluorescent is the harshest light and distorts everything.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

In fact, I am going to just say that the main issue of your former kitchen was lighting + a couple of mismatched appliances. The cabinets look like they were nice and in good condition and wood is en Vogue. With some new flooring, possibly also in wood, a stainless refrigerator, maybe some new hardware and definitely much better lighting - you would have had an updated and very nice kitchen.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO paint for walls is the last choice after everything else in a kitchen is in place . If it seems dark then you need better light a light wall color witll not help. Get LEDs in 4000K and replace all your bulbs with those. Where do you plan on lighting? You need ceiling lights, and under cabinet lighting for sure. You deal with the lighting before anything else

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Got our lighting in place (electrical wiring is done) There will be ultra thin down lights in the kitchen (I have to look at plans again to tell you how many) & we actually liked the 3000K when we tested them out & 3 pendant lights above the island. I will definitely be painting samples once the cabinets, etc. Just want to start narrowing it down to a few options that would go along with the look I’m trying to achieve because it usually takes me a while to make decisions like this. Thanks for all your input. I’m feeling good about where to go from here! Hopefully I’ll have an “after” picture to post in the not-so-distant future🤗

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks freedomplace1. That is kind but it was so beyond trying to salvage any of that once we started demo (termite damage, etc. etc.). We did give the cabinets & a bunch of other stuff away so they could be repurposed. When we purchased the home we knew it needed a TON of work going in but our goal was to salvage what we could of the original house. Of course, once we started ripping off the old siding & drywall it clearly needed much more (electrical, plumbing, etc. etc. etc.) The condition of the kitchen does not look too bad because my husband & I cleaned it up a TON & painted it just to get it in decent enough condition to rent it out while we awaited the permitting process to remodel which was lengthy & stressful!...anyway, here we are! Just want a sound, solid home that is fairly simple & clean to enjoy island living!!! On the bright side, the whole thing will be “updated” now! 🤗☺️

• Melissa McC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s where we’re at (only 7 months later 😋🤪) I clearly got cold feet doing anything colorful but I think I’m glad since there is more variation in the flooring than I expected...or would a neutral color on the walls help to mute variation in the flooring???🤔 Complete amateur here (obviously) so I appreciate the advice & also just wanted to share the progress so far (finally getting close! Pretty excited!)

• salonva
    3 years ago

Very nice and warm looking floor. Curious for any more updates and how you like it?