Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fitgal18

Pavers Patio Removal

fitgal18
3 years ago

Hello,

We put in pavers patio about 6 years back. I kind of liked it before but I want to see how much would it cost us to remove it? The pavers are moving plus I see lot of ants and at times carpenter ants on it. I have fire pit with lights around and a nice lights built in the patio too. Another reason I don’t like is it added a good amount of height. Any advice is appreciated

Comments (7)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

I had this same problem. If you use your patio a lot, it may be to your advantage to have this done professionally. I never use my patio so if I had spent any money on it, I wouldn't be happy. I'm extraordinarily cheap, so fixed it myself. I killed my back in the process (just for a few hours). Depends on a few things - are you on a budget?, are you in good health (if you do it yourself)?, etc. When I need this sort of help (plumber, etc) I always ask my trusted neighbor for advice on doing it myself and if she knows someone who can do it for me. You can get some estimates. The secret to putting pavers down properly is all in the proper foundation of it. (I looked it up on youtube) I would recommend you do the same, just so you know what's involved and if you have someone do it for you, you can see if they're doing it correctly. I would look at at least a few different videos. Everyone seems to have a slightly different way of doing the same thing. You may want to also go to/call your local hardware store and ask them for advice on how to do it yourself. Information is free! If you go there, you may want to bring pictures of the problem. If you want to call, have pics ready on your phone and see if you can email it to them (if needed for clarification).

• fitgal18
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Elaine. I appreciate it. I can do it myself but I am not sure how to take care of lights and sprinklers. We try to spend as much time as we can. Since I spent so much money on putting in the patio I don’t want to spend more to get rid off it. Especially with such a nice lighting. I just don’t like the ants on it. I wish I would have never got them done. May be with not too many people working, I might get better deal. Thanks again.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

If it is not mortared into place, removal is easy. Replacement is another kettle of fish.

Once it's removed, what are your plans for the area?

• fitgal18
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I will either add gravel or fake grass. Definitely not real grass. Easy to maintain stuff

• fitgal18
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I can remember they are interlocking pavers.

• fitgal18
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@yardvaark I agree I can treat the area with ants but I have some sunken pavers too and I can see that the seal is also gone. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post. You are correct if I explore the option to make it better I will like it more