Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_8675309

Antique or decorative cabinet?

HU-8675309
3 years ago

We purchased a condo that included a few antiques (or at least they appear to be antiques to us), but they aren't our taste or style. Does anyone have any ideas about this cabinet as far as origin, value, how can we sell it etc.?

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Very nice....yes it's an antique....at least older than 100 years.Where did you get it? And what does the top surface look like?

HU-8675309 thanked lindac92
  • HU-8675309
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We got it from the sellers of the condo we recently purchased with the rest of their furniture. The top is difficult to describe and I unfortunately can't take a picture of the top since the cabinet is in another state, but you can see the 4 stiles (?) on the top of it.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

My judgement that it is old was based on the boards on the back.
    Not sure what I think of the paint....maybe original or maybe newer paint on an old piece.
    yes I see the 4 corner pieced on top....but was wondering what was between them!

HU-8675309 thanked lindac92
  • User
    3 years ago

There was an import store in the city that used to sell cabinets that looked like that and were new and made in Mexico. Linda is the expert but I would have said New Mexican.

HU-8675309 thanked User
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

Similar furniture is very common here in Texas. They’re made in Mexico with old, reclaimed wood, and many feature those medallions. I have a custom made hutch from Mexico with similar old wood used in the back part.

Like others, I can’t say for certain about yours, though.

Very nice piece!

HU-8675309 thanked Jilly
  • User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Nadeau Dallas is the furniture store I've been trying to remember ever since seeing this post. They carry pieces often made from reclaimed wood, crafted in India and Indonesia most often. That's what your piece brought to my mind. Here's some of their offerings, which I think are very cool.

As I said, yours may very well be an antique, but regardless, it's a look that is in demand these days in certain areas. Great for a southwest mix!

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Several years ago cabinets similar to this one were sold at pier 1 and World Market. As several have stated I too have seen similar cabinets in New Mexico.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz