Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseytudorhelp

Tudor Exterior Paint Makeover Help Please

jerseytudorhelp
3 years ago

Hi everyone. We're hoping we can get some help regarding our late 80's Tudor style exterior. We're in final stages of shopping for all new replacement windows and we got to thinking that instead of just settling on Brown/Bronze we could freshen it up and perhaps repaint the stucco, half timbers and maybe even the brick. We're thinking we might as well get new rakes and gutters/leaders as well. We do like a lot of the more ivory'ish stucco (as opposed to yellowish stucco) and greigish half timber combos. Our main struggle is the Brown/Bronze window color upcharges are costing us an additional $7-9K as opposed to standard white. Can anyone come up with a color scheme that ideally would allow us to get away with white windows presuming we could still make it look good. If not, can you come up with a scheme where we do get colored windows as we're not opposed to spending the money on color upcharges for the windows if we can't make white look good. A few final notes, the roof and siding is not in the budget to be replaced (its in good shape) and we are open to painting the brick. If we do paint the brick, do we paint it stucco color or half timber color? Please help, we want to finalize before Fathers day. Thanks in advance.

Comments (18)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I would do the stucco and the trim a light taupe.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

With light color you can go with white window trim.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • Irene Morresey
    3 years ago

I think painting it a light sage green or SW cargo pants would look lovely with the brick

• PRO
  • Kathleen K
    3 years ago

Look up the original "magpie" Tudor houses in England. Many we saw were lime washed stucco that was bright white with inky black half timbering. The masonry was usually a red brick or natural stone. They are high contrast like the black and white magpie birds. If the historical accurate colors seem too bold at least keep the timbering darker than the stucco like celery girl's first picture. I would probably go with a warmer shade for the timbering like the roof and bricks to tied them together and a warm white for the stucco. I am guessing there would be an upcharge for a bone or biscuit color window frame but that might work with your current colors.

Do not paint the brick. Traditional Tudors had real brick or stone and darker timbers.

You might replace the windows then see what color would look best. Maybe you only would need to lighten the stucco.

• Kathleen K
    3 years ago

• jerseytudorhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for all your input. From our own research we were leaning to something like celerygirls 2nd post. Kathleen and Irene, you're right I don't think we should paint the brick. So new questions,

1) Do we get the Roof rakes wrapped in white auminum/pvc trim or do we pay painter to sand and repaint in the half timber color. I am thinking the latter?

2) White gutters and leaders?

3) Window grids or no grids? Front windows are all casement.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO it is only a tudor look alike and all that makes it even remotely tudor is the trim . If you really want a change remove the tudor trim . I would never paint the brick but the stucco in a nice sage green would be attractive but only if you remove the trim. No grids if you want the change grids if you are embracing the tudor look.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No grids, your windows are not so big to have them IMO.

• jerseytudorhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input Patricia. We are under no delusion that this is an "authentic" tudor as I did mention Tudor "Style" in the original post. That being said, we'd still like to embrace with what we have, as we do actually like it.

• jerseytudorhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I want to thank everyone for the help thus far. This thing is snowballing and we are now considering nixing the tudor look half timbers and stucco and possibly using a combo of board and batten vertical with shake and lap siding accents? Everything I am seeing online is a white home with black windows. Anyone care to offer up some alternatives. We figure if we're going to do this we should do it right and not rush. Thoughts?

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

I think the most interesting thing about your house is that great cat slide roof line. What if you painted the half beams and stucco the same color where you want to de-emphasize and made certain lines pop, like the line of the catslide. Maybe paint the part under the cat slide a slightly different color to make it stand out. Perhaps celerygirl could do a mockup. Love her renderings!

Architecture Walk: Exterior Styles and Palettes · More Info

• jerseytudorhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tozmo1 agree with you on the all solid color, which is why we were thinking siding. We've seen tudor half timbers painted same color as the stucco but haven't seen it executed well. We have the late 80's textured stucco, and everywhere we've read says it will be impossible to remove the timbers and patch without being able to spot it as a patch a mile away. At that point we're looking at removing all of the stucco and simply starting over. We're hoping to be able to save on costs by being able to go right over the existing stucco facade.

• tozmo1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here's a before and after in my neighborhood that i think is really nice. They did paint their brick but I'm not a fan of painted brick. Or it might be whitewashed, I'll have to drive by and check. There is another one in my neighborhood that definitely white washed their brick and has a more monchrome paint job. I'll try to post pictures of that.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

If I were you I would paint the board timbers the same color as the stucco. I would use a satin finish on the timers and a matte on the stucco and other siding.

Here is an example of a dark Hardie B&B that would go with your brick.

Iron Grey HardiePanel Board and Batten · More Info