Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kahlee_newman

Bathroom color advice

Kahlee Newman
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I just painted these cabinets and I'm dying to make this color work in this bathroom. tips on how To?? ANY ADVICE will help. Floors just got put in too.

Comments (21)

• Kahlee Newman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They're navy! That's what i was trying to figure out how to incorporate that color somewhere else

• Tara
    3 years ago

They're pretty. I like the type of shower curtain you have; maybe get one with a navy stripe. Put some artwork in the toilet room that has blues in it. Coordinate with new towels; a light blue or bronze/tan....perhaps stripes.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Look at bringing color into the room with an area rug that incorporates blue. I’d look at Dash and Albert indoor/outdoor rugs from Annie Selke. They will work well in a bathroom. Very durable...and colorful, too!

• Tara
    3 years ago

Think of what looks good with a men's navy suit. What color tie would you pair with it? Pops of red in accessories maybe?

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

You don’t have to bring in a lot of navy, blue, etc. In fact in this case, less is more. If you bring in a lot of navy/blue, trying to match the vanity, you will take away from the look.

The vanity is a strong enough statement on its own. You really don’t need any more navy or blue in the room.

https://thearchitecturedesigns.com/30-most-navy-blue-bathroom-vanities-you-shouldnt-miss/

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Vanity color and flooring look good. You very much need shelving/storage so you can reduce clutter.

Consider removing anything/everything above the toilet and and rebuilding storage there to maximize storage space (without creating a head bumper).

What is between the wall and the shower? Could you add a deck rail basket atop the half wall on one or both sides to collect all those things currently cluttering your vanity countertop?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZ41XTF

You could paint them your favorite bold color using RustO'leum 2x spray paint.

Alternately, you might add white painted open shelves at least above the wall to hold all the things you now have on the vanity countertop .. easily reachable but out of the way? A more shallow version of this, perhaps with a clear back panel for the back of the bottom shelf so smaller items would not get knocked off the back of the shelf.

https://www.countryliving.com/home-design/a46443/pony-wall/

Was there a reason you chose to not paint the wood mirror frames the same color as the vanity -- have you considered painting the mirror frames a light muted or beachy blue you especially like?

Perhaps SW Bracing Blue:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/265008759297605155/

• suezbell
    3 years ago

I notice your mirrors are not centered with your faucets. If you're replacing them, consider one large bevel edged frameless mirror.

• Kahlee Newman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was considering painting the mirrors that same blue? Yes no?

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Really like your choice of knobs/color with your vanity.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Painting the mirror frames dark could darken the vibe of the relatively small room more than you might want. At least consider other options.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Adding dark frames could also emphasize that the mirrors are no longer centered over the faucets. If the mirror frames were touching, would they be centered?

Or, if you're DIY inclined or have a business near you that frames pictures, you might consider removing the right side of one frame and the left side of the other frame and put the two mirrors together into one frame with a plain narrow strip of painted wood to cover the seam

• Kahlee Newman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like the idea of getting 1 big mirror, but i was thinking about another color. Or does this brown look good?????

• suezbell
    3 years ago

My shower has no light within it so I use the thicker shower curtain liners without a curtain; otherwise like the white curtain you have chosen. A small amount of bold color can be cheerful but too much color in a small space can visually crowd the space.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

The color of your current mirror frames, at least on my screen, resemble but do not exactly match the knobs of your vanity. They have a light wood look ( goldish -- on my screen). They don't look bad at all as is. In fact, definitely keep the two mirrors and use them elsewhere if you choose a single large mirror for the bath.

• Kahlee Newman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes they're a light wood look, i still have the old mirrors i had before these and would Paint those, not these. I love these mirrors!

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Are the frames actually a goldish, honey oak color?

• suezbell
    3 years ago

The beauty of wood frames is not just the beauty of wood but also what you could do with them.

If you have a spare pair (those old ones you're not using), you could attach one of them to and have it become a cabinet such as over your toilet. By hanging another on the wall across from it, or on the wall at a right angle to it, you could move the mirror door and easily see the back of your hair or clothes, etc.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

I like your choice of flooring. What is it?

• loobab
    3 years ago

The navy blue cabinets look marvelous, great job!!

The floors are gorgeous too.

I would leave the mirrors as it.

The dark blue with the gold is rather elegant.

I would not add a third color accent with red.

You don't need a July fourth or a nautical theme in there.

Quiet elegance is just perfect.

I like a white shower curtain.

Does the one in there have grey trim?

I would prefer an all white one if you can, with no contrasting piping, since the area is small.

There are some nice ones that have a waffle texture if you can find them at a nice price, and you can get a waterproof liner, and get a double shower rod, so they won't stick together, and the liner will dry properly.

If you feel you must have some more navy blue in the room, in additional to the white towels, you can purchase some navy blue hand towels and navy blue washcloths.

Mixed in with the white on the towel rack, that will look very nice and crisp, like a naval uniform.

Also, are those mirrors right on the wall?

It seems you need storage space.

I would suggest purchasing medicine chests that have no mirrors and attaching those medicine chests to the wall, and affixing the mirrors to the front of the medicine chests.

Spray paint the sides of the medicine chest with a spray pain that will adhere to metal (Rustoleum makes one, but check the can.)

I would also peruse the internet for kitchen organization ideas for small kitchen.

You will get great inexpensive ideas (using dollar store and handmade products) with which to organize your drawers in the bathroom so the counter is kept clear.

I would also install on each side wall on the side of each sink a small double towel bar, for each of you, so that you and your husband each have a separate towel with which to dry your hands after using the toilet and a separate towel with which to dry your face, and a wash cloth.

No commingling of germs, please!

Rather than that wire box on the ledge next to the bath (which is just asking to be tipped over sending the objects on the sink to the floor, I would suggest, if you don't already have it, installing a couple of triple towel bars on that wall divider on the side that faces the shower.

You and your husband get a separate towel bar.

In addition, somewhere else in the bathroom, and not in the toilet room, mount a towel storage rack of the type you see in hotels. Up to 10 towels can be stored on there so you can access more when needed.

A green plant is always nice in a bathroom, but no no one wants to knock it over.

A great choice is a

staghorn fern that gets mounted on the wall, and thrives in the humidity.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

If the basket would be in the way (left handed person... yes) then you could raise the height of the mirrors a bit and add a box shelf (one divided or a pair of them) horizontally across the wall beneath the mirrors to catch small items. Paint the shelving the same color as the wall if you want it to visually disappear.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/604120642/handmade-floating-box-shelves?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=box+shelf&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1&col=1