Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lappea

Old Victorian Row House - Two Bathroom Layout

lappea
3 years ago

I have a 1905 Victorian Row House that currently has 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom upstairs. The house originally had 3 bedrooms, but the 3rd bedroom was converted into a large bathroom, and the original bathroom was converted into a small walk in closet in the 2nd bedroom. I'm working to optimize the layout of the large bathroom and expand the closet slightly (stealing from the 2nd bedroom) and turn it into a 2nd bathroom. Thankfully it already has a window! The 2nd bathroom is really pushing the limits of being code compliant with its tiny space and I'm trying to optimize everything for functionality and storage.

Constraints:

-The walls highlighted in blue are able to be moved - everything else is fixed either due to being an exterior wall or not in the scope of renovation.

-I need to have at least one bathtub

-The laundry is already in place and I don't want to move it

-The house is only 16' wide outside, which means it's 14'5" wide inside, and necks down to 10'6' in the back of the house where the 2nd bedroom is. It's not possible to expand the house.

-I'm hesitant to expand the 2nd bathroom too much more into the 2nd bedroom, as it will already be only 10x11 with the plan below

Currently, there's a second door off the hallway into the master bath, but I plan to remove it since it will no longer be necessary with the second bathroom upstairs.

My first attempt at a layout is below and I'd welcome any input or thoughts on how to optimize it! Thank you!

Comments (14)

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I'm thinking the 2nd bath would be the place for a small shower while the Master needs a spa tub in the toilet closet area and a toilet closet where the shower is.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Can I ask the reason for having a second bath upstairs?

With a 2 bedroom home one full bath is usually sufficient for family, however a powder room for guests on the lower floor is often a great benefit. The fact that the second bedroom has no access to the bath and it was made a private master bath really limited the use of the second bedroom - not comfortable for guests or kids to have to walk through the master to use the bathroom.

I am just wondering if, given the limited space, there may be a better solution.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I think the master needs the tub and I would do a tub/ shower combo and the 2nd bathroom just a shower and I would need to see the whole floor plan of that 2nd floor.

• lappea
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is the existing 2nd floor plan.

• lappea
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll answer

the questions below:

My reasons for a 2nd bathroom:

-Significant increased value for a 2/2 vice 2/1 when I sell or rent it out as per a local Realtor

-I don’t want to share a bathroom with guests

-Additional flexibility for future kids

I spoke with an architect and he told me the standard for a Master Bath in this area (DC Metro) is a large walk-in shower, toilet closet and a double sink. That is what I prioritized in this layout.

The existing bathroom has 2 doors, so there is presently access for the 2nd bedroom/guests via the hallway. But I don’t see the need to keep the Hallway door if there’s a second bathroom upstairs.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

What if you cut your deep hall closet in half, combining it with the small closet in the master to have a RIC instead. Then combine the current WIS and closet+ to do something like this? The hall entry would remain as is. Laundry to the toilet area and toilet under the safety glass window. How much space would be gained from the laundry to do the 2nd bath?

Redmond Education Hill Master · More Info

• lappea
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! But which closet are you referring to as the "deep hall closet"? There is no hall closet, other than the laundry closet, which is entirely taken up by the stacked laundry machines.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Does this explain/make sense? Yellow would be the shower/tub wet room. Blue would be the back wall of a reach-in closet in the master. Guess I was referring to the deep master closet.

• lappea
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, I see. Yes. That is an awesome idea. However, I paid to have custom California closets installed when I moved into the house 2 years ago, so the thought of ruining all those lovely closets is just too much. I'm trying to make the most of the bathroom within the existing walls.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I am not an architect, but I think you could make better use of the space, have 2 functional bathrooms and a closet in the 2nd bedroom. Where I live you are not allowed to count a room as a bedroom without a closet.

So here is my idea - very rough, but it gives you the same pieces, looses the dead space in the middle of the master bath, gives you a larger walk in shower, a less claustrophobic 2nd bath and gives a closet to the 2nd bedroom.

I'm thinking that someone with really good design skills could come up with something even better.

• lappea
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! My plan is to build a closet in the far corner of the 2nd bedroom. Technically though, a bedroom around here doesn't need a closet, but I agree that practically, people want a closet!

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

Jennifer Hogan’s idea looks awesome. I was going to suggest squaring off the proposed bathroom; you wouldn’t miss the angled wall space in the bedroom.

• Karenseb
    3 years ago

Concerning the master bath.

You could keep the fixtures where they are and just replace the vanity and add another across from it.

You could move the California closet to opposite side and create a hallway into the bath which gives you more wall space for a second vanity.

Keep the tub and shower. Save plumbing cost.

Concerning the new bath addition.

Be careful you have enough room for a toilet across from the vanity in the new bath. Maybe a pedestal sink across from a small toilet in a shorter length.

Your layout seems tight. Even in my drawing with a pedestal sink, you may have trouble clearing the sink when you open the door. I put in a corner shower, but if you can fit a tub, that might be better.

• lappea
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I re-worked a second version of the Master Bath, this time keeping the bathtub. The trade off is a single vanity (instead of a double) and a slightly smaller walk-in shower (same size as I have now). A plus is that most of the plumbing in this plan is the same as the current bathroom fixtures, so remodeling costs may be lower. Thoughts?