Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagnewnd

Curb Appeal - Yellow Brick and Siding Minimal Traditional Cape Cod

B D
3 years ago

I am wondering how to improve the curb appeal on our house. It is a Cape Cod-style house (but turned sideways from the typical orientation) in a very minimal style.

We are open to painting the dormer, painting the front door, painting the siding (aluminum), changing the siding, adding a portico or porch, doing something with the roof (the roofer recommended extending it out a bit), and doing landscaping.

We are not interested in painting the brick. The visible brick is yellowish, but there is also a gray stone behind the bushes. (See the third photo.)

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Why wouldn’t you consider painting the brick? It would be the one thing I think you should change than extend the porch...

• housegal200
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It's important to know what color your roof is since Capes have prominent roofs (even though yours faces sideways.) Usually, warm charcoal browns and gold/tans harmonize well with yellow gold brick. I don't think your light gray is doing much for the house. Here's a house with a variety of tans, browns, charcoal brown (roof).

Albany 650 · More Info

Gold direction for dormer, trim, garage doors with red/brown trim on garage doors.

Brickwork/Veneer · More Info

B D thanked housegal200
  • B D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

housegal200, the roof is currently a light gray, but our garage (unattached, back of yard) has a charcoal gray roof, so we were thinking of going with that color on the house when we have the roof re-done -- but open to other options as well.

Here is a photo of the garage.

• B D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Home Interiors with Ease, we actually kinda like the brick (not everyone's cup of tea, I realize), and it is so very easy to take care of. A number of houses in our neighborhood were painted, and over the long term, it seems like a lot of work to keep up with it.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

You need to add a porch across the entire front of house....here are some cape cods that have your same roofline...paint that brick or add wood shakes over it..will really add to the cape cod style....the landscape will evolve after you make changes the changes.

B D thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • yvonnecmartin
    3 years ago

I would paint the siding and the dormer the same color, perhaps a darker grey or avocado green. Then, widen the sidewalk, perhaps by laying bricks to each side. A nice big pot of flowers or grasses on each side of the porch landing would lighten up the space.

B D thanked yvonnecmartin
  • B D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

houssaon, the image is very, very helpful! Thank you!

• B D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

housegal200, here is an photo that shows the current roof color. When we replace, we are very open to different colors or styles!

• housegal200
    3 years ago

The color of the roof on the house next door to you goes well with your house as well--something warmer would work better with the yellow brick. Then a golden taupe for your siding as shown in the photos I posted in my previous Comment.

B D thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    Zabitat, Door Glass Replacement
    3 years ago

Definitely investing in a couple of architectural elements would really help provide dimension, depth and interest. Depending on your budget, you could really transform your curb appeal. Here's a few more designs for you!

B D thanked Zabitat, Door Glass Replacement
  • niverma
    3 years ago

Following this post.

Is painting the roof an option?

B D thanked niverma
  • B D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

noverma, we will need to replace the roof shingles in a couple of years. We are planning to do a dark charcoal gray to match our detached garage.

Here is a photo of the garage.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I am cray about TAUPE! :-))
    Like Zabitat, an ODL Company options.

B D thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Dan H.
    3 years ago

You describe the house as “cape cod” and, sure, it’s general shape is a cape. However, that term may be hampering your creativity. My first impression is that this house was most likely built in the mid-twentieth century and reads, although not clearly, mid-century. Note the “corner” window, for example. I would suggest that you think outside the cape cod, cottagey, craftsmany bungalow box. I see a potential for a strong mid-century modern theme in your house facade. And that would mean, among other things, that you celebrate the brick and not hide it. Your roof has no overhang (which also reads mid-century) but the aluminum siding does not help. I’d consider a clear or lightly stained wood siding up there and carry that theme down to the entrance area with a decidedly mid-century entrance door, light(s), and numbers. I think it’s worth considering.

B D thanked Dan H.
  • B D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love these ideas, Dan H. The house was built in 1953 so you bring up a great point!

• B D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, we have decided to hard prune the yews in front in order to highlight the brick and stone more. We are planning to do that in late winter, which I understand is the best time.

• Dan H.
    3 years ago

Glad to hear that mid century has some appeal. The main upside I see is that this entrance facade lends itself to a midcentury modern upgrade. Midcentury featured materials (wood, brick, etc) in honest and straight forward ways. Natural wood siding on the upper gable end, a midcentury entrance (door, more natural wood, lighting, and numerals) are relatively inexpensive upgrades. I will try to share the look of the materials I have in my mind.

B D thanked Dan H.
  • Dan H.
    3 years ago

Here are some good looking midcentury entrance doors

• B D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've also heard houses like ours referred to as "midcentury traditional" (vs. midcentury modern). Would that make a difference in the materials or style?

• Dan H.
    3 years ago

For sure! As new architectural trends are introduced many new structures tend to be hybrids of the new ideas blended with the more familiar and comfortable old styles—your house. Frank Lloyd Wright shocked the public in the 1930’s with his designs. Few had the courage to build, for example, something as avant garde as “Fallingwater” (1935). It’s now a icon that draws flicks of pilgrims.

B D thanked Dan H.
  • Dan H.
    3 years ago

I.e., “Flocks” of pilgrims that is; like myself.

B D thanked Dan H.