Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_489615411

Need suggestions updating the exterior of my 80’s home.

HU-489615411
3 years ago

Comments (6)

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

I would redo the landscaping....add some layers, texture, color. That will add life to the outside...

HU-489615411 thanked Sammie J
  • HU-489615411
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much, Beth. we can paint the siding - but Don’t have a huge budget. The white thing is just a weird piece of siding.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

since your roof has more brown, try a warmer gray tone. (if you want to stick w/that color tone)

blues and warm grays are nice too. if you don't like blue siding, then do a blue front door

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Although it doesn't show well in the photo, I get the impression the railing on your porch is way oversized. And the hedge below it needs to go. Painting all the vertical corner trim on your house white is boxing it in. It stops the eye and squares up all the different parts of your home's facade. I would also eliminate some of the white below the 2nd story windows and above the garage door. You could use some lanterns flanking the garage and front doors. They should be 1/3 the height of the front door in all locations. Have a professional limb up the tree. It is pretty but is overtaking your home's curb appeal. Can you get better pix of the porch and front door for us?

• acm
    3 years ago

The front of the house appears to be more trim than siding, which is a strange and choppy effect. I think I'd try to paint out some of the edging to be closer to the siding color instead.

You could paint some subset to match the siding, rather than be close like this, but I just wanted you to see what I mean. Both of these feel calmer than the original, and now you can add some color to the entrance to draw the eye...