Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vv1111n

in need of curb appeal help! no front door!

VV N
3 years ago

the front door is in the breezeway which is totally fine, not hard for people to find, BUT. the front of the house looks so awkward to me! can i fix this short term before adding more windows to the front?

plus any other curb appeal ideas you have for me, i'm completely open to changing everything.

Comments (14)

• Mara Hyman
    3 years ago

I think that the front lawn could use more greenery, perhaps some grass in front of the landscaping.

VV N thanked Mara Hyman
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I'd prob lose the large round shrubs and commit to more of a xeriscape.

pick some proper plants and trees, instead of those round shrubs

maybe you could do a low, slat wood fence around the front of the yard.

stain your wood fence and bring in some larger boulders and succulents or cacti

bring in more rocks of diff sizes for the hardscape. (this would be against the fence and along the beds)

For the walk ways and borders, consider doing something like this

maybe repaint that green portion of your home.

• VV N
    Original Author
    3 years ago

beth, our house is in the desert just outside of las vegas, so i'll have to do some research into hardy plants. DEFINITELY thinking about painting the green, just not sure which direction to go with color. thank you for your many beautiful ideas!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

If you're look for new colors. This is one way to bring in green.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

VV N there's quite a few things you can do to bring more of a mid century vibe to your house.

you can start by looking up mcm ranch homes redo's. or mid century brick ranch upgrades. something along those lines.

you have such a huge front yard, do something interesting w/it

I like how these utilized short fences to give some dimension to the yard

notice the garage door on this one too. start look at pictures of other garage door styles on these homes.

Look at the large cement paver squares. you can DIY these

you can't even see your front door. make a pathway to it and get rid those large bushes

any of these color combos will work w/your existing brick. (if you want to paint the brick, let me know, otherwise, these will work)

replace 'shutters' for the wood portion

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

following

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

The most unappealing thing about the house to me is the complete lack of trees. Not a thing to keep it from looking exposed to the baking sun. Next would be the indistinctly shaped plant and rock bed within the larger rectangle (which I am OK with.) The large green "ball" looks like something you're trimming to keep restrained. Can it grow larger and become a tree? In front of the blank wall, a single small tree with a fan shaped trunk structure would be more appealling than 3 slightly mismatched tiny "trees."

• emmarene9
    3 years ago

Please post pictures of the plants to see if they are worth keeping.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

Landscaping appropriate for the climate would be key, Also, more interesting plants with textures and varied shapes would help as currently you just have lollipops and meatballs.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Pop up your front door with bright color and trim a bush.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Lighting, colorful pots, a dry creek and bridge would all work for you.

Transformed Tucson Courtyard · More Info

A pair of trellises like these on your blank wall there would be nice.

Maybe a dry creek and bridge could lead to the breezeway.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

I would explore a direction along these lines ...

Whereas the low growing plants could be uniform or a mixture along the lines of low growing succulents shown in the foreground of Beth H's first picture.

(Editing to add ... the neighbors liked what you did next to your left drive, so copied you.)

• Jean
    3 years ago

Here is a nice clean slate to start from. :)

• kitasei2
    3 years ago

The three standard plants in front of the wall are a prominent feature that must be perfect. Same height and shape and equidistantly spaced. If you can’t achieve that, choose a different scheme there.