Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepsych

Experience with directgardening.com

rosepsych
3 years ago

Hello all! Has anyone ordered roses through directgardening.com? Good, bad, anything to note? They are selling some roses that are on my list and I have never ordered from them before so don't know what to expect. Any help appreciated.

Comments (11)

• Sam CO z5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

run away as fast as you can! I ordered a few things from there (100 dollars worth) and did not get a single plant that was alive. not one. No response from the company at all. I tend to give companies the benefit of the doubt, and am ok with receiving small plants, but not dead ones. I hope if you decide to order, that your experience is different.

What plants are you trying to find?

• rosepsych
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh gosh, thanks for sharing your experience and sorry that you were not able to get your money refunded.

I always have roses on my list to purchase at any given point in time. The ones that I was looking at on directgardening are Tiffany and Angel Face (though I'm not in a rush). Their prices are reasonable (must be reflected in the quality) and I thought to give it a go, but will think twice about it now. Thanks for your thoughts! Customer service means a lot to me and I have not gone wrong with Palatine, Northland Rosarium or DA (online); have had trouble with another company, and would like to avoid that here. Thanks again!

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/231/0/#b

Dave and his large brood have moved over to garden.org.

Very clever!

rosepsych thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

Note both the “50 most recent comments” and the “feedback history and summary”.

Those who forgot ( or, more likely, never knew of) the mistakes of the past were condemned to repeat them.

rosepsych thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • rosepsych
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for the davesgarden link! I have used it before but didn't think to check this time. Thanks again!

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

rosepsych:

How did you learn about the company? Did you receive a direct mailing from them? Did you see an ad online, or in another print medium?

I ask because I’m curious to know how they get their business. I just read through a number of their reviews at Dave’sgarden. Same themes, repeatedly. They seem like a particularly horrible company. Yet they're still in business. They seem to have mastered the art of their particular deal. Likely highly profitable. Seems improbable that word of mouth would work in their favor.

One of the reviews spoke in favor of a class action lawsuit.

• rosepsych
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Rifis,
    I learned about the company just through a google search for the rose varieties I was looking for, curious to see if anybody still had them in stock. I was impressed with the low prices and seemingly reasonable shipping charge (I honestly would have taken a chance bc my order was going to be around $40, seemingly not much to lose). I am so glad I checked here before ordering. Some listings on their site seemed a little shady, “red rose”, other roses listed just by color, so it raised my red flags. Yeah, not sure how they stay in business without improving their game.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I ordered from them once my first year buying for a hard to find rose and had my friend order the same rose and another rarely found one this year. I thought one of my two roses was toast and they replaced it quickly. Granted it wasn't the correct rose, but I was happy with Candy Land. My friend received one mis-labeled rose. We won't know about the other until later this season as the bunnies ate the new growth. I also got two free peonies that took a couple of years to bloom, but are doing great now. So I wasn't unhappy with it enough not to suggest it to my friend, but was disappointed not to have the rose we ordered. For the ones you want, you might as well find a bagged rose or one from a big box store and save the shipping, although your chances of getting the correct rose are probably the same! If you really want it go to someone reputable as they are easily found roses. My order was small and they were only $7 at the time so I was willing to take a chance.

rosepsych thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • CottageGardenRoses-paz6
    3 years ago

I had been eyeing them too because they still have Blue Girl, climbing Blue Moon and Angel Face but I’m too scared to order with all the bad reviews and it can take weeks for orders to arrive.

rosepsych thanked CottageGardenRoses-paz6
  • rosepsych
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Vaporvac. I agree that maybe I'll wait on the roses. Now if for some reason they go less than the $10 mark, I may chance it and hope for the best. :)

Chantal, I would worry about how long it would take the orders to arrive as well. You have your eye on some pretty roses!