Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_moriarty44

Round or egg shaped schlage door knobs on raised two panel doors?

Stephen Moriarty
3 years ago

We are building a new house and are choosing between round or egg shaped

door knobs on square top raised two panel doors. See photo. The home is transitional. Thoughts on this?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Think about the hands that will be opening the doors for the next 100 years: your hands, your husband's hands, your kid's hands, your kid's kid's hands, dry hands, wet hands, arthritic hands, left hands, right hands, full hands, fat hands, skinny hands, hands that climb on rocks, tough hands, sissy hands, even hands with chicken pox, . . .

(that was a Armour hot dog reference at the end for those that missed it)

• pleballerina
    3 years ago

Mark is right!
    Round and egg-shaped knobs can be hard to operate in certain situations. I have lever handles on my interior doors similar to the Schlage accent lever-it’s easy to grip, and I can open a door with my elbow when my hands are full.

https://www.schlage.com/en/home/style/knob-lever-designs/accent-lever.html

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

I second the consideration of levers, I have the arthritic hands mentioned above and round is getting quite painful to grasp....

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I found the egg shaped gave me leverage to open a door. The levers catch on my pockets

• pleballerina
    3 years ago

I came back to say if your heart is set on either round or egg-shaped knobs, I’d choose the egg-shaped as they offer more grip.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Neither, would go with a lever handle.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

Perhaps as Angel 18432 suggested - lever style. Easier for everyone to operate.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Lever instead , it also looks a bit more elegant on a front door. I do wish Houzz would but these answers old to new so we know what was said already. Who reads a book backwards?

• Stephen Moriarty
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. Levers are out so we are leaning toward the egg knob with a round rosette at the moment. We like that it is easier to turn and it is definitely more unique. The question we have is it timeless? Ten years from now will we ask why we picked an egg style door knob? Will the egg

knob some how date the home or make it less custom? Round is a safer choice maybe? Safer from a design perspective?

• Louise Smith
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ten years from now your door knobs will be the least important thing you question. You'll wonder how you ever picked those cabinets, the floors are dated, and OMG, how could you ever have selected that granite. Raised panel doors? why did think those were great? Of all the things that will be "outdated" in ten years, the door knobs will be the easiest fix.

• HU-159511020
    3 years ago

They are called Julienne knobs.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Go without knobs or levers and have that sensor that automatically opens the door when you get close like at the grocery store.

• Stephen Moriarty
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sounds cool Mark, but we are on a bit of a budget.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Patricia,

On the same line to the right of "comments" is Sort by: you can click from oldest to newest

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

I had the egg shape in my last home and the shape was fine. However I had them in bronze and the wear pattern on them was horrendous. Don't get bronze. The brass wears through and they look awful in about 4 years.

• nini804
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We have egg shaped throughout our home in ORB. They are easy to use and unobtrusive. I think ours are Emtek brand. They have not worn one bit. We have levers on all of our French doors. Those are a different brand, and the ORB finish has worn a bit on those. 🙄 It’s ok, though...not something that particularly bothers me. I don’t think knob types/shapes go in or out of style as long as what you pick is appropriate to the style of the house. ie, sleek chrome levers in a traditional house would look off.

I do think egg are easier to open than round.

• The_Lane_Duo
    3 years ago

We have levers on our current home and like them fine but many are no longer level which kind of annoys me. We went with round knobs in the new build and I really like them. I guess if they bother us years down the road, I'll trade them out. Cheap & easy fix really so I wouldn't stress so much about door handles/knobs at this point unless you are already battling health issues that affect your hand function.

• Agoll Neritan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Although the handle for the interior door is a small design element, it can make a big difference to your home's overall interior. Installing the handle on the door increases convenience, helps to ensure privacy, and brings its elusive charm to the interior. Of course, the question remains, which door handle to choose? Usually, there are several criteria in choosing a door handle: style, color, shape, material, quality, and design reliability. Round stationary handles can withstand a heavy load and are inexpensive, but they are too old-fashioned, require a lot of effort when opening the door, and are generally ugly. Perhaps in combination with doors like https://internaldoorsuk.co.uk/internal-doors/internal-glazed-doors , a round or oval handle will look good. In other cases, I recommend using other forms of door handles.

• Kathi Davis
    2 years ago

I had to replace my lever handle on the back door to keep the neighbors dog out. Bruno is a nosy boy!