Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_lepow

kitchen table advice

Amy Lepow
3 years ago

Hi again. Now I need a kitchen table. Right now I have a 72” oval and I hate the glass top. I thought I wanted a 69” round but not sure if it is too big for the space. HELP!

Comments (61)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Get some chair socks from Amazon, they work great. Also you can go to a stone yard and get a custom table top.

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

So you won't be using those chairs? It's still a look that might be too country, but with a different chair, it might work. What do you like about the table? If changing chairs, what are you thinking about?

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No the chairs and the table will go. I was thinking of black chairs? Maybe an apholstered chair? Or wood tone with a bleach cushion.

• Gail Remp—Central FL
    3 years ago

This doesn't have any contemporary feel to it at all. I'm not a fancy dancy designer but I'm more eclectic and find a lot of joy in finding something that sparks something within me, . If you want more black to go with your black and that sparks you go for it but why not just think outside the box as far as color and design and pattern and you might find something that is more contemporary and will still suits your needs. Rather than falling back on the tried and true... The rug that is currently there totally disappears into the floor. There are no sparks. (please don't yell at me folks.) You have a very lovely place and it looks probably like every other lovely place as next-door. So a lot of times if you start looking at different websites and possibilities, something mght that fire.that It might be Scandinavian. It might be modern farmhouse. It might be just something odd. And that will really light up your ideas. And if you're going to put down the rug please let it have some color and design and Joy so that invites you to sit down and stay a while so to speak. And then you can eat a lot of hotdogs and ribs and everything else we try to do for the Fourth of July as we sit down and feel blessed that we do still have An America (for the time being anyway.)

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There’s no rug in the room! Lol. So you don’t think it’s more on the contemporary side? Hmmm I’ve always had that kind of taste. I hate traditional stuff. Maybe more transitional? Anyway, I’m still searching. Question though for all you folks. Is a wood table practical? How do you clean it after a meal? What if you spill milk on it ? Or ketchup? Or anything? What do you do? Thanks everyone!

• tozmo1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think your tastes lean to contemporary. I'd change out the light fixture but you asked about the table. Here's some very crude renderings of a possibility. For me, fabric upholstered chairs in a kitchen don't work, always food dropped on them, especially if you have kids. But, what about a vinyl faux leather? In these pics, the table lines are modern but the wood makes it look more transitional. The chairs are modern and I think the lines of the legs echo your wall paper.

Re the durability of wood, it really depends on the finish. How is it sealed? I have a very old wood table that I refinished and sealed with a very tough finish and it wipes clean like formica would. When you shop for a table try to do it in person so you can see the durability of the finish. I realize that might be tough right now but product descriptions online won't help determine this.

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good to know about the finish of the wood. I’ve been searching online for hours and they all say they are not scratch or stain resistant and are not waterproof either. Scares me. A kitchen table is the one thing that will be used constantly. I don’t want to have to handle it with kid gloves. Thanks for your suggestion. As far as the table matching the lines of my wallpaper, that made me laugh. Only because I’m so over the wallpaper but I’m not motivated to tear it down. I hear it’s hard!!!

• motupeg
    3 years ago

Look at Crate and Barrel upholstered chairs for style of chair. They are more contemporary.

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree with that. I am really really REALLY frugal. That’s probably one of the reasons I haven’t bought a kitchen table yet! Lol. Thanks for your input!

• Elizabeth Bond
    3 years ago

Agree with tozmo -- get a pro for taking down and replacing wallpaper. It goes so smooth when they do it, but you know it would be a disaster to do it oneself!

• Audrey Owens
    3 years ago

If you were able to put the 72" table in then a large round table will fit just as well. Go for it! I love my oversized table and regret nothing.

• Victoria Buldak
    3 years ago

use the original table base , have a wooden top put on it. transitional yet a little warmth

• TRUDY SLATER
    3 years ago

Get rid of the metal back chairs...the low black chairs look much more comfortable and I like the low profile.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

I have taken down more wallpaper than I can remember. 95% of the time it’s not hard, just do the right steps and then all you need is patience. In the worse case scenario if paper is stubborn, renting a steamer Is pretty straightforward. You’ll thank me - lol as your room will be transformed.

You will then have to paint, but that could be a good thing. When you add a new dining set, rug and (suggest) a new chandelier you’ll be happy with a more modern and lighter room. Suggest cream paint, a light more streamlined rectangle wood table, black chairs that are a touch modern, plus a flat weave rug to hide floor but also pull that space together

• Patt
    3 years ago

Re: Table shape. You have an oval table top and I see a few comments suggesting you stick with the shape. Cut out an oval shape and cover your existing table. Is it just the glass you dislike, or doesn't the shape feel right ? I like how you arranged your chairs to make a mock up. How do you use the table? Where do people tend to sit? While looks are important, form following function will probably keep you happy in the long run.

I seem to be alone regarding rugs under a dining room table. To me, they collect crumbs and other stuff that I don't want around my eating area. They also make it difficult to slide chairs in and out.

Have fun with whatever you select. While oiled polished wood is pretty, wood that's been rubbed soft and gleaming by years of loving use has its own glamor. If you prefer the look but less work, it's a good excuse to splurge on runners or antique linens.

• User
    3 years ago
  • Gayle Wooten
    3 years ago

A couple of thoughts... Rectangle or oval, including an extendable table would tie the space together nicely. I would use a rug to hide the floor damage. Given your comments about table use and concern about ongoing maintenance, you might enjoy a laminate or stone product.

The best advice I received from a designer was to pay attention to shades of colors to achieve balance in a space. Light, Medium, and Dark. If everything is medium shades (which seems to happen a lot), the space will look boring. Right now, your cabinets are medium, the floor might be medium-light, dark granite, and the walls appear to be light...but might also be a medium-light shade. Look at the room as a whole and see shades of color to decide what is needed. Then decide where you want to add shades of color...table, chairs, rug, etc.

Wallpaper...If wallpaper is not peeling and doesn't have a texture, you can texture over it and paint it without removing it. You can also pull down any part that is loose, texture the wall, and paint it. I've done it many times and you would never know. Kiltz will save you layers of paint if you put a light texture on. One room I did was a Tuscan texture, so I did not need to kiltz it; other rooms, I have used a light knockdown texture and kiltz saved me from having to use multiple layers of paint.

• marylut
    3 years ago

I have a teak table that is 60 years old and used daily, so I recommend teak. Scandinavian style table never goes out of style and the clean line mixes great with many decors (transitional, farmhouse, contemporary, mid century modern, industrial, and eclectic).

• Lynn G
    3 years ago

Is that your only dining location in your house? How many seats do you need for your daily use?

I prefer tables that don't have legs that get in the way of chairs: pedestal ones are good for that - like the photo you posed (I think that would look fine - you don't have a strongly defined style to your décor so you can be eclectic. If you are a family of 4 or less, just get a table that comfortably seats 4-6 people. Preferably square or rectangle. That way when you have company you can add leaves (if they come with the table) or add on one or more card tables as needed...

I really like some coziness in homes. When spaces are crowded to ensure there's enough seating for those few days a year it may be needed I think it limits the possibilities/look for every-day use/enjoyment. I remember someone who did that - family of 4 and made seating for 10-12 people. She finally removed about half of that. Looked and felt so cluttered!

Another thing to ponder when buying dining chairs is are they comfortable? Someone turned me onto this concept. She said most dining chairs are so uncomfortable I can't wait for the meal to end. She noticed that chairs with arms were the most comfortable (although some can prevent a chair from being pushed in - another thought to ponder). So she bought wicker chairs that folks could comfortably sit in for eating, and for relaxing. I think she was onto something with that.

Also, I find the older I get the less comfortable most chairs are. When I test drive them I try to sit on any ones I'm seriously considering for 15-20 minutes. Also something to keep in mind if older people are regular visitors. I recall getting director chairs for my dining table (still have/use them) and someone in her 80's was hurting a lot when she got up. So I do want to get other chairs, but rather hope for wheels and swivel action - easy to move for cleaning, and usually the most comfy for sitting, turning towards people - I just like chairs that move... Something like this:

https://www.barstoolsanddinettes.com/catalog/dining-furniture/chairs/caster-dining-chairs/jesse-tobias-designs-castor-chair/

One of the things I like with the director chairs is they are easily folded and moved when I clean. Another thing to ponder when considering chairs: weight/ease of moving.

So... a few thoughts to ponder...

Oh, and don't put vinyl flooring over that beautiful hardwood flooring! They mostly use that where hardwoods can't be installed because they cheaped out when building - that there isn't a real wood subfloor (like the particle board flooring under the old rugs in my bedrooms - ick). And a rug just makes it harder to clean.

My humble opinions for what they're worth. Good luck!

• marylut
    3 years ago

To figure out the size table your space can handle, you need table size plus 36“ on all sides for people to pull chairs in and out. If you want people to be able to walk comfortably behind a chair to get to the kitchen and family room, allow 48“ from table. The least amount of space needed for chair pull out is 24“

• marylut
    3 years ago

Would you consider a pedestal table that mixes the black from your kitchen counter and the warm wood from the kitchen cabs? And 2 upholstered host chairs with some armless side chairs. Then bring in color with polypropylene rug 2’ bigger than table dimensions.

• nolanirvana
    3 years ago

You can paint over wallpaper with Chalk Paint.

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughts. Lynn G, I have a family of 4 so that’s everyday. My table now is oval so there are 6 chairs around the table. I love a round table but I’m so nervous I would regret it. I was looking at 60” rounds but then with the 36 inches around allowing for the chairs, makes me really nervous. I’m afraid of getting anything smaller though. We have company occasionally, sometimes we use all 6 chairs, sometimes we add a few more. Can you all tell I’m all over the place with all of this??

• dory50ish
    3 years ago

An option for wallpaper is self-stick. I have used in my home and it is wonderful. can remove anytime and it can go directly over existing as long as wall is clean. I have used on ceiling of my guest bath which makes it look like tin without the cost, I've used on wall in my master bath for the look of brick (everyone says it looks real as its 3d, always touching) and then I've added tree one in our laundry room. it is a diy solution and in progress that turns out beautiful! Good Luck!

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beautiful! What’s it called?

• dory50ish
    3 years ago

just look up self sticking wallpaper. I've bought some from Amazon and off of Wayfair. I'm glad you like it!

• dory50ish
    3 years ago

Can be found also as peel and stick wallpaper!

• woondogger
    3 years ago

I love that brick wallpaper!!!!

• husterd
    3 years ago

An oval allows for comfortable seating for 4, across from each other or using each side, or 6 and can squeeze in more. 2 can sit across from each other more intimately. One with a leaf even better for more people. A round just is round. If seats 8 and if only 2 or 3 then weird seating of too far or too close. Not easy conversation. A smaller round with a leaf gets you back to an oval. Pedestal base allows chairs anywhere.

• judrand05
    3 years ago

It seems to me, that Amy is way too unsure of herself and is completely lost, to be helped here. You've already gone around and around and around, over the same things and still without any decisions made. I think she needs a full-time interior designer. who has strong skills in guiding and advancing their clients toward a finished room that their client is happy with. Or at least, a completed project.

• amma9632
    3 years ago

Glass is very contemporary - maybe it's just the design of your present table you don't like. Glass also helps an area "appear" larger.

You could look for a wood table with a Formica laminated top.

If you choose wood, you have a few options. Make sure it has many coats of polyurethane.
    Or, use Place-mats for everyday dining or a protective mat under a table cloth for company. Or, you could use a glass top on the wood table but you would need to be careful of cold beverages causing the glass to sweat below the glass - or use coasters.

My table that is 48" round pedestal table (extends to 78 with leaves) - 48" will fit 4 comfortably. 63" oval will comfortably fit 6. 78" oval will comfortably fit 8. I wouldn't try to exceed those numbers particularly with guests. (You have to have room on the table for plates, utensils, glasses and especially "elbow room" between diners.)

Regarding the hardwood floor - I have not found anything you can put on the bottom of a chair leg that stays on, works and/or is aesthetic. To protect your floor, you will probably need a rug that extends 3 feet beyond the table on all sides. If you purchase a table with extensions, you may want a full area rug. Your rug would need to protect the table extended or some folks my "fall off the edge" of the carpet. (This is why my breakfast room has tile and my dining room has wall-to-wall carpet. And, I have never found crumbs or spills to be any more problem than a hardwood floor would be.)

Regarding the wallpaper, definitely hire this out to a professional. If you didn't put it up, it may have been put onto raw wallboard and that is a nightmare to remove without damaging the wallboard which will then require the ability to apply sheet rock mud. (I speak from experience.) If you paint or texture over the existing wallpaper, it will be even harder to remove should the "seams" show or fail and start to peal. I'd remove it if you plan to paint. Also, texture done correctly may look wonderful - done incorrectly it just becomes hours of sanding to remove.

• Ellen S
    3 years ago

Pick a table that you absolutely love. Don’t worry about things being crowded when the typical number of people are seated there, if the amount of space advised is available. Things can be a bit crowded when there are more people and that is completely ok.

• marylut
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness, Amy! Where has your poor family been eating meals while the purchase decision is pending? No need to be so afraid of making a mistake with the table. Buy locally and make sure the store allows 30 days to return it. Get a table that seats 4 for everyday, and a leaf for the few times you have 2 extra guests. If you need to feed more than 6 folks on a special occasion, get a folding card table and 4 folding metal chairs.

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lol marylut! I haven’t gotten rid of my table yet so there is still a place to eat.

• marylut
    3 years ago

So glad to hear that no one is eating from their lap. Sooooo, are table size and shape the decisions that are most befuddling you?

• marylut
    3 years ago

BTW, why can’t you get rid of the 1/2 wall to give you more space? Is it hiding plumbing or electrical?

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Table size and shape, yes, but also the impracticality of wood. I really like wood but I’m so used to wondering my glass table! No, the 1/2 wall stays...I’m not getting into that. I have too much decorating to do

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

:-) My thought exactly!

• marylut
    3 years ago

Have you had bad experiences with wood dining tables? You know your family better than anyone, If you are that worried your family is going to scratch up the finish, maybe granite or quartz or tile top? Or use a table cloth Or placemats? Or light colored oak hardwood with distressed finish on it already?

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Not worried about scratches but just about normal spills of food and liquids

• marylut
    3 years ago

You might find helpful this article on picking the best material for dining tables.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/houzz/2015/06/12/a-buyers-guide-to-the-dining-table/

1. Select a dining table made of sturdy stuff. If you want a table to last through years of dinner party wear and tear, choose a table made from a hardwood, such as mahogany, walnut, maple, oak and teak. Tables made from engineered or composite woods, which include plywoods and MDF, are durable and economical but are never as strong as a hardwood.

2. Wood is tops, but don’t discount glass.

1. Go for the tried and true: a weathered wood table. A secondhand wood table with a farmhouse or industrial heritage has already passed the test of time. Any scratches and nicks in the tabletop surface have mellowed into design details, becoming features to admire. If you accidentally add a few more to it, it won’t matter. For this reason, these tables are great for families with children — you never have to worry about whether your brood is unwittingly or even intentionally marking the table.
  • marylut
    3 years ago

Boats and shower seats and outdoor furniture are made of teak. Liquids bead up on teak and you just wipe it dry. Or get a wooden oak table with at least 3 coats of polyurethane, every additional coat provides more protection. The only foods I know that are troublesome are cumin and mustard.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

following

• granny4ten
    3 years ago

I bought this table at restoration hardware. I love it! No maintenance. The more it's used the better it looks. It gets a little darker and softer with age. The first couple months you see marks and rings on the table. But it all starts to blend in and look great. I thought my interior designer was nuts at first when she picked it out. I have 4 married adult sons and 9 grandkids. You can imagine the mess and spills on my table. It's now 6 years old and I wouldn't get anything different. My old table was a 108 inch black granite table. Black always looked dirty, even when clean and dishes would get broken.

• reginagayle
    3 years ago

Think marylut's black and wood table and chairs are perfect--if the wood is compatible with your kitchen cabinets. The set would give you seating options. A coordinating, indestructible, easy-to-clean polypropylene rug (not too dark and with some color) would be a great solution for your scratched floors. In my experience her advice #1 about various woods is right on target, too. I have a round teak table with a pedestal base that I LOVE because with 2 18" leaves I can seat 4 to 8 people comfortably. My only regret is that the table gets lots of light in the sun room and over the years it faded a little (except for the middle where I had a placemat under a pitcher and glasses centerpiece). I've tried twice to even out the wood and it works temporarily, but eventually wears off. So a placemat stays in the middle permanently now!

• marylut
    3 years ago

Amy, where your table will be situated, luckily you won’t need to worry about fading from sunlight. Sorry about your table, @ReginaGayle.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

It is the finish that makes a wood table child-spill-food proof. You need to make sure you have a wipeable top so you don’t worry about it every day. We have a farmhouse table (16 years) in our kitchen and it gets clean with one sweep of either a wood cleaner (Pledge) or just a sponge. That’s the key element. If you are handy, you can buy a second hand table that is oval or round with leaves and have room for family and friends when you need to expand the seating. But putting two to three coats on it will be important. There is another refinishing product called Delft, and it is hard to find, but it protects any wood from spills, etc. Polyurethane will do the job and it’s in any home remodeling store. Marylut is right about size and leaves. Keep looking.

• Kam H
    3 years ago

if you use a rug, find one big enough for the chairs to easily pull back and still be on the rug. That would help save the floor, and makes the space seem bigger. .Your kitchen/dining area is very nice!

• claire larece
    3 years ago

Hi, Your home is very nice. Are you done looking for a table? Since you’re doing a lot of diy how about getting a wood table top and staining it. Also maybe upholstering the top part of your chairs with similar fabric as the seating?