Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hennhouse79

Artwork/mirror placement

Barbara Hennessy
10 years ago
I am planning to put a large painting to the right of the window ( the one existing is temporary) or I could place the large mirror there vertically? Another idea would be to hang four square pics..two on either side of the window but then i am left with extra space on the right side since it is a wider area than the left wall of the window. the mirror at the moment was going to be hung above the leather chair( also there temporarily since i was thinking of placing a demilune table under the mirror in that corner). lastly, i had a thought of placing the mirror on the wall where I have the two pictures and putting the pictures on each wall above the chair. Kindly ignore the lack of coffee table and rug lol. I could use table lamps to add height, but as of now both end tables are different heights.Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening!!

Comments (29)

• Chem K
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Can you post additional pictures from the dining window wall looking into the living area please? We need to see all walls to help you decide on the artwork

Mirror - Based on the limited pictures of your space I think your mirror would look good on the small wall where the armchair is. Consider a smallish buffet or console table to go with it. Move the armchair closer to the living area to complete your conversation zone.

Lamps - lamps plus has plenty of table and floor lamp options to address the need. Consider putting the table lamp on the glass side table and the matching floor lamp beside the wooden sidetable.
    http://www.lampsplus.com/products/aley-set-of-3-black-iron-cage-floor-and-table-lamps__1c011.html
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    here are two more pics. Yes, the leather chair will be going downstairs when I buy a demilune to hang under the mirror. the hair is too large and bulky on other side of the room. We have recessed ceiling lights so lamps aren't imperative. I was hoping to put two lamps for symmetry, possibly crystal or mercury base for a bit of glamour to go with my linen roman shades.
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks by the way!
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thanks for the additional pictures!

Lamps - Something like these from PB? I would get both in differing heights but in the same shade colour. Taller lamp on glass table, shorter lamp on wooden table.
    Antique Mercury Glass Table Lamp Base · More Info

Mirror - The mirror will also look good centred on the picture wall in between living and dining windows. It will help bounce the light from the table lamp you plan on getting! Put the picture from that wall on the wall where the armchair is right now.

Pictures - I like the effect of the 2 pictures one on top of the other. Should stay there. Gorgeous where it is.

Armchair - I think it will look better beside the mirrored console/buffet under your tv. Angle armchair into sofa.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I like the stacked pix - do that often when working with large matched pieces. Mirrors don't appear to have anything particularly beautiful or interesting to reflect. Careful placement is important with them. Can you arrange for a chandy over the dining table that the mirror could reflect?
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the lamp and mirror suggestion! Good idea! Many thanks...
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @decenthusiaste..Yes, that was a concern of mine.. If I hang the mirror over the leather chair it will reflect the outdoors from my front windows as well as visually open the space when waling towards the kitchen....If I hang it above glass side table it reflects the degas sketches but most likely the flatscreen as well :/. Not doing a chandelier, although i love the, as it eliminates a good airy visual flow since we removed walls and opened the space/ and added recessed lights. also will be moving table and adding leaf when we have extra guests.
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ chemane: no room for chair here .. Planning on rustic decor downstairs but still renovating.. and a contemporary style upstairs so might get a smaller more sophisticated chair for under front windows angled toward sectional?
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste: Another pic towards galley kitchen.
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much for helping!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Views are always good subject matter for mirrors to reflect.Keep tweaking!
  • Margaret Stevenson
    10 years ago
    Can you put the couch between the windows and move the round table along to the corner?
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately, no because my dining area is to the right and the couch would then not face the tv but the Degas sketches. So I centered the sectional in front of the single window. I do want a sense of symmetry.There are additional pics posted along this thread to show you additional views. Thanks so much for helping!! Any new ideas are appreciated as always...
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    Firstly, I would hang some nice colorful or patterned drapery panels in both the living room and dining room, double panels on each end and skimming the windows. That would add alot of presence to the windows and texture/color to the room. I would then reevaluate the wall space.
  • Kim D
    10 years ago
    Can you hang drapes/curtains that make the window appear to be the same size as the other windows in the room. It will add symmetry to the space. You can do this by adding larger rod than needed over the window.
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    exactly, as above, but do to all the windows living room and dining room. Would really warm up the space/punch, cushions and area rugs (large , not potty ones)
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just had expensive custom roman shades made. I had drapes and did not opt for curtains this time because1. I knew the new sectional would be in front of the window and 2. It was a pain to vaccum and mop the wood floors all of the time with the drapes. I know it would ad color and interest but I will be adding art and patterned pillows and a patterned rug and a coffee table to brighten and finish the room. Or maybe my lamps will have patterned shades or a color for the base.
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Type o. " Add" lol
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My linen flat roman shades add beautiful relaxed feeling and texture. Thank you all for helping me
  • Kim D
    10 years ago
    I understand about the investment you have already made with the shades; would you consider a console table behind the sofa with two large lamps and a nice plant in a oversized saucer planter that is kinda low but round sitting in the middle of the window. Creating a vignette with the lamps, plants and small accessories would make the window disappear (so to speak).
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i love the idea but there isnt really much walking space if i move sectional forward. i pushed it forward to try that option and my home is just too small to carry it
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Do you think i should put 4 pics two per side of window? It would leave me still with some space to the right of the two rightside pics. So how would I be able to fill that withiut being too busy. Would the be too heavy there? My original plan was to make a large square painting modern gallery wrapped for the large wall and replace the seascape with two square pics stacked.
  • Barbara Hennessy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I mean would the mirror be too heavy to the right of two pics
  • PRO
    Calzphotography
    10 years ago
    One large gallery wrapped canvas plus two smaller ones on the other side would set this off nicely
    http://camille-lopez.artistwebsites.com/featured/time-for-tea-camille-lopez.html
  • Eugenia Kol
    10 years ago
    I would definitely put a big mirror above the sofa it will bring extra light into an area (opposite) that appears a little dark with natural light. I am all for light in the shape of mirrors or pretty lamps like the one's above if they can reflect light in one way or another I would use them. Good luck! I am sure you will make this a stunning space
  • sierrablossom2012
    10 years ago
    Could you move the sofa to the adjacent wall on the right so that the window is not blocked? Also, currently, the wall spaces on either side of the window is awkward behind the window. Then you could put a dramatic wall hanging above the sofa with colors that would be nice accents and also pull together existing colors in the room.
  • bamamom
    10 years ago
    hennhouse79....beautiful room! I think the vertical piece of artwork, water?, would look great to the right of the window,. centered over that end of the sofa. Lamp on the table or a floor lamp behind table would probably work best....to create an "end" of the living room space effect. To the left of the window, I would use two pieces of artwork with same colors/theme as the large one but stacked on top of each other so the overall height of them together is equal to the large one on right side of window.

Would you share source for your console under the tv?
  • PRO
    Mahlstedt Gallery
    8 years ago

We have some beautiful pieces that would look stunning in that room. Here are a few examples. If you want to see more, visit the Mahlstedt Gallery at www.jam415.com