Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunny_mississippi_8a

What’s your “I MUST HAVE MORE!” rose?

Which rose is doing fantastic for you and makes you want to buy more for the approaching season?

Is there already a rose like this in your garden where you have bought and planted multiples of the same rose? If yes, please share pics and details!

I’m loving Francis Meilland (newly planted this year) and considering buying a few more. I’m going to wait until the end of the season to see how it makes it through my hot and humid, no-spray garden.

Francis smells divine and has such a beautiful bloom. The BS has been minimal. The repeat could be better. I’d love to plant at least two more!

Comments (80)

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chris: I completely agree with you on your 3 requirements to make the favorites list. I’ll definitely check out the roses on your list. I’m hoping to get my hands on Princess Anne Rose soon... and hoping she’ll make it onto my favorites list.

• Edhelka (North Wales, UK)
    3 years ago

Katyajini, I love almost everything about it. Some people (for example The Right Roses) say that it is the best DA ever and it quite well could be. I have it for the 1st year only but it excels in all aspects important to me - disease resistance, weather resistance, beauty, fragrance, vigor. I have it in a pot but is said to be poor soil tolerant. It doesn't mind rain and windy and exposed location. It flowers a lot, seems to repeat well and the blooms last for a reasonable amount of time. The bush itself is pretty with foliage all the way from the ground to just under the blooms.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Kristine - your Olivia and Bolero are perfection!!!

• Ken Wilkinson
    3 years ago

I usually don't take pictures because I cut and go most of the time. I did take a couple of pictures last summer when I was doing chemo and taking bouquets down to the nurses. They really enjoyed them and it also lifted the spirits of a lot of other patients also.

Hannah Gordan.

A combo bouquet. Moonstone and Let Freedom Ring.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Ken, i remember those pictures; they lifted my spirits, as well!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ken - Your Hannah Gordon bouquet made my day!!! It's gorgeous!!

Damask_rose - My goodness!!! I can see why you selected this rose as one to have multiples of!! Absolutely amazing!!! !!!! !!!!

I guess my rose for multiples would be Chandos Beauty (Hortico). It's had a hard time this year recovering from when the garage door was left open during the winter. But, it's on the mend. It has a fabulous fragrance and blooms and blooms and blooms!

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Agree that Bathsheba is a great rose. Repeats well. Good, disease resistant foliage. Shade tolerant. I would get another if I had space.

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have 2 of Plum Perfect because one was supposed to be a gift. I have 3 of Sweet Mademoiselle and Roald Dahl. Both non stop bloomers.

I have 2 of Jubilee Celebration. One is own root and one is grafted on Huey. It is floriferous and scented. I put it in a raised bed because of nodding, but have decided to keep it in a pot and put the pot in an urn to better enjoy the blooms. I have two matching tall urns and I think it will look good to have JC in both.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Damask, holy moly your BW is fabulous

When I was planting roses on the edge of my yard, curbside, I asked my husband if he wanted Bill Warriner or Sweet Intoxication? He chose Sweet Intoxication which to my eye and nose was neither.

I always regretted not getting Bill Warriner and now I am having a hard time finding it.

Yours is just glorious!

• Janaina (Zone 6B - Maryland)
    3 years ago

Joseph Coat rose I have 9 of them and yesterday just bought another 6

• Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
    3 years ago

Ann - Your Bolero is gorgeous!! I'm excited because my Bolero baby band just opened up its first bud so I can't wait to see it bloom. I saw Princess Anne at a local nursery. It looked lovely. I held off on getting it though because I already have Young Lycidas and the coloring looked somewhat similar. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Ken - Your bouquets are just lovely, especially with Moonstone. Unfortunately, I have a Moonstone band that has refused to grow for months.

Totoro - Your Bathsheba is beautiful! I just got one from my local nursery and I can't wait for it to continue to grow so I can train it along an arbor. I have Jubilee Celebration and Sweet Mademoiselle too, and they are definitely up there on my favorites list for appearance and fragrance.

• Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
    3 years ago

Also, I just saw on one of the Facebook rose groups that someone just got a message from DA that Eustacia Vye and Gabriel Oak will be available to purchase the first week of December for the US. I'm really excited if that's true!!

3 years ago

Oohhh, me too

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22 you have sold me on Bolero! It’s on the top of my list. Thank you for sharing The beautiful pics and descriptions. I’m happy you mentioned no-spray bc I’m going that route too, so it’s always nice to know this one has a chance.

@Diane Brakefield is the lake in AL Lake Martin? If yes, I had some relatives how had property there too! Also your Augusta Luise and Boscobel are beautiful. Thank you for the introduction. Is she no-spray for you by any chance?

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA is Augusta Luise no-spray for you? Also, will you please compare your experience with Bolero vs Cream Veranda? Bolero is at the top of my list but CV might be a good option too!

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley sounds like you have great fortune with roses since so many would make excellent duplicates for you. I’m jealous!

@Ken Wilkinson I’m also discovering that I have ”bouquet goals” and should start planting multiples. What are the dimensions of your Louise Estes bed? Your Hannah Gordan is beautiful and I adore your Moonstone! Is Hannah Gordan Similar to Betty Boop?

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw your pics are gorgeous! How are Bliss and Plum Perfect growing for you? How is fragrance and disease resistance?

@totoro z7b Md Sweet Mademoiselle is new for me this year. I’ve decided I need two more. How does she grow for you? Mine is almost 6’ and was just planted this spring, no to mention I’ve already done a light pruning. Wondering if she will be an 8’ monster?

@rosecanadian thanks for the intro to Chandon Beauty! What a wonderful rose. I read it’s similar to Quietness which is exciting bc I ordered Quietness for spring planting 🎉

@damask_rose_zone9b thank you for the intro to Bill Warriner and for copying your post, I had not seen it. Your pics are fabulous! Is it no-spray for you? Propagating is genius! I heard nematodes might be an issue in my area for own-root roses. Has that ever been a problem for you?

@dianela7analabama love your Olivia Austin!

@Janaina (Zone 6B - Maryland) your Joseph’s Coat is gorgeous! Congrats on getting six more!

@Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago I’d Love to hear how Munstead Wood is doing for you? It is on my list for the spring. And yes to a “whole field” of roses! Love that

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca when buying multiples do you tend to stop at two? And thanks for you kind words about my FM.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Sunny, thank you for your nice comment. We don't get blackspot here because it's a desert, so I can't advise anyone about rose disease in Augusta or any other rose. I think Dianela might be able to help you in that area. I'll bet her conditions are very similar to yours, and she grows AL, too. I don't remember the name of the lake at all--I was never there, and sadly, my father in law had a falling out over the property with his cousin, so it wasn't mentioned at all. Isn't that just like some families? They lived in Jasper, AL, and I think the lake wasn't far from there. Does that sound familiar? Diane

• hugogurll
    3 years ago

Life of the Party (Huntington's 100th). It's a blooming machine and the lemon fragrance wafts through my garden.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Sunny, the short answer is you need both. Bolero is white and has an old fashioned, cupped bloom. The center is blush pink and it sometimes looks like Earth Angel. It has a strong fragrance and is almost never without blooms. Cream Veranda can be peach or cream. It doesn't have much of a scent. The blooms start off with the more formal high centered look, then relax into the old fashioned fluffy form. Mine got a little leggy, but may not if planted in the ground. If I remember correctly, there were several of us comparing our CVs a couple years back, and they were all different.

I haven't grown Bolero in a pot and I haven't grown Cream Veranda in the ground, so I can't compare growth habits, but I will go out on a limb and say that Bolero may be a better shaped bush because I don't think a bush could be any better shaped. Mine is perfectly rounded and seems to be that way on it's own rather than from pruning.

I've not had a single speck of disease on either. I don't spray. This is normally a dry climate but we are experiencing high humidity this year. Bolero is clean. CV, in the band, is also clean. Both have glossy foliage, but Bolero's leaves are bigger. I recommend both, but Bolero has a slight edge in my garden.

This is Augusta's 2nd year. We have had more rain than is normal - WAY more. I'm seeing black spot on many of my roses, including Augusta. It's actually a pretty bad case of it. Otherwise, she is healthy and a fast grower.

Oh my word! hugogurll, that's unbelievable. What a pretty sight. I suddenly feel a great need for Life of the Party. Does yours stay under 2 ft.?

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA I’m sorry y’all are dealing with a bad stretch of BS. Hopefully all will clear up soon! Both Bolero and Cream Veranda sound like winners to me! I’m thinking of getting the Bolero and putting the CV on the future wishlist.

@hugogurll your Life of the Party is beautiful! I have four Julia Child now and am considering redoing my beds. Do you think LotP would look good nearby since JC is a parent? Or do you think they would clash? Also, how many LotP do you have grouped together in your pic?

@Diane Brakefield maybe I will just live through your Augusta Luise pics instead of planting one of my own. Lake Martin is a stretch from Jasper so probably wasnt the same lake. And yes, absolutely just like families to have some colorful drama!

• katyajini
    3 years ago

Edhelke: thank you for that endorsement!!! If you can, please post pictures. Personal pictures say so much. It seems we might be able to get GO and EV even by 2021 spring!

• katyajini
    3 years ago

hugogurll: how beautiful is your scene of LoTP in full bloom! I have one and definitely should get more. How big does it get for you?

Are you still enjoying Perfumed Breeze? I remember you wrote about it in another fragrance thread. BenT, I and others were wondering about how well it blooms, its habit and how long the blooms last? We all have young plants and are trying to decide where to plant them.

• katyajini
    3 years ago

damask: all I can say is jaw dropping WOW! I did not know about this rose. That is lovely! So, isit really fragrant for you? Some comments on HMF say it is barely fragrant. I hope you say yes!

• katyajini
    3 years ago

Ann: I love my Boleros! However I never knew they can get that large. Most people say, compact 2-3 feet. mine are already 3 feet and I planted them just last fall. I put three together to form a small but full shrub. It looks I will have to move 2 of them somewhere else. thanks for sharing the pictures!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

My head is spinning between JC, LotP and JW. Hugogirl, I think LotP and JC would look fantastic together like a spumoni confection. Katja, I'm jealous as my Bolero is still small and I don't think it will ever get large. : (( Ken, HG is so pretty.

• katyajini
    3 years ago

totoro: I just got Bathsheba too and am loving its fragrance and even the baby blooms. Just how shade tolerant is it? How much shade can it take and still bloom? And how big is it getting for you? Just trying to decide where to put it. Thanks!

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

Thank you so much rosecanadian!

Thanks a bunch Kristine LeGault! They have "Bill Warriner" at Rogue Valley Roses. They are currently out of stock, but I think they should be back in stock by fall or spring.

Thank you so much Sunny Mississippi! "Bill Warriner" is extremely disease resistant and has the most beautiful glossy leaves. I don't spray any of my roses, and while the bushes of "Paradise" and "Mister Lincoln" I have planted nearby defoliate from blackspot, none of my Bill Warriners get so much as a single spot. They get the slightest touch of mildew in the spring, but it usually clears up in about a week. I don't think nematodes are a problem here as I have never seen any symptoms on any of the roses, except for some gall-like growth on one of the climbers my dad ordered a few years back, but I think that's something different.

Thanks a bunch katyajini! To me the fragrance is strong and wonderfully fruity, but I also think "Iceberg" smells strong, and both are supposed to be mildly scented roses. It's not as strong as something like "Tiffany" or "Mr. Lincoln" for comparison, but it is still pretty good.

hugogurll - Holy guacamole! That is one gorgeous rose! And a strong scent too! It just claimed the top spot on my wish list!

Have a lovely evening everyone!

damask_rose : )

3 years ago

Katyajini: I already posted them to so many places online that I was worried about looking too annoying with them here :) but here they are.

And the growth habit, it a 1st year (grafted) rose in a pot. GO on the right, the middle one is Silas Marner, the left one Louis Lens floribunda Empereur Charles IV, all babies.

And because it was discussed above, Cream Veranda (Joie de Vivre as it's known here). A compact shrub, very easy to grow.

• hugogurll
    3 years ago

I think Julia Child and her offspring, Huntington's 100th (Life of the Party), would blend beautifully together. HH tops out at about 3 feet for me. But so does JC. I've seen other pictures where Julia gets much larger.

• katyajini
    3 years ago

Edhelka! Thank you, Thank you! I am so sorry, I missed your other posts. Not up on whats happening many a times. The blooms are a little like Grande Dame. I like it! I hope the fragrance works for me too. Cream Veranda is so lovely too!

Am I seeing this correctly: is that Lavender and Rosemary in the same bed with Cream Veranda? I always wonder about growing Lavender in front of roses but shy away thinking all the water I give the roses will make the Lavender very unhappy. may even die. Same with rosemary. Are you growing the combination successfully?

3 years ago

Katyajini, I grow a lot of lavender with roses, all types. I have free-draining sandy soil and lavender loves it here. I try to keep watering and feeding around the base of the roses and lavenders don't mind the excess water or fertiliser. But I rarely need to water roses in the ground anyway, we have rain doing it. I haven't watered for 6 weeks now and it's quite possible I won't need to water for the rest of the year. Lavenders don't mind the rain as long as the soil drains well.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Janaina - Holy moley - your Joseph's Coat roses look unbelievable all together with the mix of colors!!! My goodness!!! SWOON!!!

Hugogurll - why oh why won't that rose do anything but die for me? I've tried it twice!! What a fantastic picture!! The fragrance must be unbelievable!! I can't believe yours looks THAT good!! Glorious!!

Edhelka - Oh my goodness!!!! Another round of unbelievably gorgeous roses!!! This thread is mindblowing!! I am in total rose-love with your Cream Veranda!! Your Louis Lens rose is fabulous too!! Oh my!!!

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Katyajini, mine gets a few hrs of late afternoon sun only and it gets shaded from a near by patio umbrella at times. It is in a pot surrounded by brick walls on 3 sides and brown patio so it is hot. Blooms do fry in hot sun if I don't water daily. I It is about 4 ft tall now. Reblooms really well despite the intense heat.

• Sunny Michigan
    3 years ago

I have a few multiples here in Michigan. I look for hardiness (I don't winter protect), health (I don't spray), fragrance and repeat (sort of --I do love my gallicas). The roses I have multiples of:

Quietness -- I have four; softly fragrant, very healthy, and it grows to about 30" by summer's end.

Steady bloom.

Marie Pavie -- I have three; softly fragrant, very healthy, only about 12-15" tall, constant bloom.

• katyajini
    3 years ago

Thank you totoro! I do have areas with that kind of sun. Just wondering now about how big its gong to get now!

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Sunny I grow AL here and she is doing very well. She does get blackspot but so far has only lost maybe 10 percent of her leaves. She is so special I will probably spray her to keep her perfect. She loves to bloom and it is very vigorous. She could probably be grown no spray as long as some foliage loss was acceptable. I am wondering if Diane’s family lake was Smith Lake because it is one of the largest most beautiful lakes in the area near Jasper. Many people love it for fishing and skiing.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Dianela, I agree with all you write about AL. What a rose. I don't get blackspot here, as I frequently brag--ha, so she is free of that. We had awful weather this spring, and the winds and rain blew about half of my AL over. Her big blooms were so heavy, and she grows on a slope, and they just pulled her over in the wind. There was lots of bloom damage, but it could have been worse. Dianela, I wish I could remember the lake's name--this was decades ago, and my father in law sold his interest in the property to his cousin after their disagreement. Smith Lake sounds beautiful. Diane

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Oh Diane...there are no words!!! Exquisite!!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, thank you. Even after the storms AL produced these this year. Diane

• chrissam81
    2 years ago

@damask_rose_zone9b your Bill warriner rose is so beautiful. I would like to buy a Bill Warriner rose plant or cuttings from you. I had a Bill Warriner in the past but it died and it was grafted. I will aso pay for the shipping and handling. Please email me at chrissam81@gmail.com. Thanks in advance

• damask_rose_zone9b
    2 years ago

Hello @chrissam81! Thank you so much! Unfortunately I'm not able to ship cuttings of 'Bill Warriner' at this time, but they carry it at Rogue Valley Roses: Bill Warriner. It is currently out of stock, but I think they may restock in the spring. I hope that you find it and that it grows and blooms beautifully for you.

• chrissam81
    2 years ago

@damask_rose_zone9b Thanks for your reply. I checked many places including online sellers for sometime but to no avail. I will check Rogue Valley Roses this spring.

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

@chrissam81 I wouldn't wait until spring to check on Bill Warriner at RVR... get on the waiting list for it now. And don't hold your breath, b/c RVR has a lot of roses listed that some have been on the waiting list for years for. Bill W seems to be kind of out-of-commerce nowadays, which is terrible... it's one of my favorite roses. When I realized last year that it was extremely hard-to-find, I made 3 cuttings, but it experienced a terrible wind event in which the bag was blown over and upended. I tried to save them, but no luck. I'm encouraged that @damask_rose_zone9b had such great success with cuttings. I'll try again soon. (I don't mail cuttings, but I'm happy to share rooted roses).

• chrissam81
    2 years ago

@susan9santabarbara thank you very much, I will sign up to be in RVR's waiting list right away. I would love to get a rooted plant from you when you have it available. Thanks again Susan and I will pay for the shipping & handling. My email address is chrissam81@gmail.com.

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@chrissam81 Should I eventually have enough rooted cuttings of the >40 out-of-commerce roses I'm rooting (and want to root) to share publicly, I will post here. If I were you, I would continue to search for Bill at various nurseries. And if I find a source that's selling it, I will definitely share that info here!

• chrissam81
    2 years ago

@susan9santabarbara thanks again and I wish you great success in getting Bill Warriner rooted :). I will continue my quest to search for out of commerce roses like Bill Warriner in other sites and will let you know when I find one.

2 years ago

I got on the wait list at Rogue Valley roses but it may never show up again, who knows.

It was a Jackson and Perkins rose exclusively but I haven't seen it there for a few years.

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw I got my current Bill Warriner at my local nursery as a bare root in Jan 2004 (no doubt a J&P rose). This is a full-service great nursery, but is known for their large selection of roses. Bare roots in January, and a large potted rose field. It seems like they always had Bill, but I sort of stopped paying attention b/c I always assumed it was one of their "always carry" roses. I did get on the list at RVR, but I don't have a lot of hope. They have a ton of roses listed that they haven't propagated for years. Word to those who grow Bill: make cuttings and spread them around! Particularly to those who might also propagate them!

2 years ago

Susan, 2004, do you think that they still have any ? Lol sorry, I couldnt resist. But I agree about the odds of actually getting Bill from RVR.

It seems like such a cool rose that I wonder why J&P quit carrying it.

Maybe we should bug them about reoffering it.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

Hugogurll, your photo of Life of the Party helped me make a decision. I had been toying with the idea of planting that rose or Bolero en masse, and the variable color on LotP makes all the difference. It has to be short, a good bloomer, and good fragrance, so I narrowed it down to those two. LotP wins by a mile. I have 5, and can get more if I take out a shrub.

I would love to know how far apart you planted yours and if you would change anything. Please refresh my memory and tell me your zone. Roses often don't get to their stated size for me.

I'm so glad you posed that photo. I had been going back and forth on which rose to use.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

I just wanted to mention that both Eugene de Beauharnais and Dakota Redwing have been pleasant surprises--both are tiny bands and have been blooming frequently even with just dappled morning sun. I'm hoping Ascot and my red HPs get with the program!