Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
builderguy2341

how to update 80’s contemporary house

builderguy2341
3 years ago

Want to give a facelift to this 80’s contemporary house.

Thinking replace the date rocks with wood accent panels (or look a like wood), replace front doors and new landscaping.

For siding I’m thinking horizontal and maybe a dark wood look a like panels. I think the color tone of second picture attached. It’s tough to redesign these especially with all the windows!

Any ideas?!

Comments (13)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Your house is spectacular! The only thing I would change is the front door.

I would get one with a full glass sidelight, like this but more interesting door. Reed glass or frosted glass will give you privacy if you need it.

Dunrobin Shores · More Info

Southampton · More Info

Mid-Century Remodel · More Info

Entry · More Info

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I like the look of reed glass.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would keep the stone at the entrance but give it a new important appearance.

There is a new technique where the grout lines are filled with new mortar up to the face of the stone to create a completely different more fresh & rustic appearance for the stone.

I have also seen the filled grout lines with a lime wash over the stone to create a more even appearance.

Here is the lime wash used on a stone wall to illustrate the Before & After.

Here are options for your front door.

I think the balance of your home could be painted or stained white.

Or you can consider painting the shed design a gray value

• flopsycat1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Nice house! Would suggest more modern landscaping. I’m not crazy about the stone and would either remove it or minimize its appearance. Agree with new doors.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Landscaping and a new front door are all you need IMO .The color in the 2nd pic does not work unless all the stone is gone and IMO the stone works with that style of house.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Have you lived there for a while or are you buying it? It's a spectacular house. You may consider hiring the original architect to design some facade changes. Check at city hall for the name on the plans.

What it really needs is attention to the landscaping. Some shrubs can be pruned, some need to be removed or replanted elsewhere.

• builderguy2341
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Own the home for 2 years now. Thanks just super dated and don’t want to just slap some new siding on want it to be extraordinary!! It’s 30 yrs home who knows if the builder is still around here.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I agree your home is a candidate for charcoal, cedar and a new stain on the stone. I have an ideabook called "charcoal & cedar" if you want to look at some examples.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Do you have a photo looking straight along the front steps to the front door, showing all the way from steps to roofline?

• builderguy2341
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will try to post another photo. It’s tough to see with all the trees in the way (which I guess should be removed as they are to close to the house).

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

It is a good looking house for sure. Can understand your wanting to update it. Am assuming you don't want to make major changes to the massing and structure of the house. If you did, I would suggest changing the roofs to flat instead of pitched. If you primarily want cosmetic changes, I would agree with new siding although the horizontal orientation might look odd with the present massing. A vertical orientation might be better suited which immediately calls to mind a modern interpretation of board and batten or a vertical corrugated metal siding. Good luck!

• builderguy2341
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@norwoodarchitects thank you for that insight. Can you elaborate a little more on why you think horizontal siding wouldn’t look good? Lastly, what is your opinion on the rock wall and front door?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida