Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Gas Fireplace redesign - I need help

Kristen Hallock
3 years ago

My house has a gas fireplace. It was installed in 1992ish when the house was built. The tile around the gas fireplace is really ugly and dated, and the gas fireplace itself lets out little to no heat. You have to be sitting within 2 feet of it to feel any warmth.

So I would like to replace the gas insert, but at the moment I dont have the money to do that. However I would like to replace the tile and mantel. I'm just worried about replacing the tile and then finding out I will need to break that apart in order to replace the gas fireplace eventually.

Can someone explain the process of getting this insert out and putting a new one in? Can I change the tile now and the actual insert later? Maybe I could tile everything now and then just not grout up to the metal exterior of this current fireplace?

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    3 years ago

Don't do it!

You are right. Replacing the tile first and planning to replace the fireplace later is like trying to put your socks on after your shoes.

Unless you are prepared to do the tile/marble/granite/whatever twice, you will absolutely have to remove the tile and probably the mantel as well when is comes time to replace the fireplace.

I'd say spray the brass trim satin black to minimize the attention it calls to itself and bide your time. The brass is the most dated part of that arrangement, then the tile, then the quasi-colonial mantel. Painting the mantel your white trim color wouldn't hurt, either, IMO.

• Chris Pluchar
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'd also suggest painting the brass in a satin black from Rustoleum, but I'd go a step further and suggest you lightly sand the brass to provide a better bond for the black paint.

• Jeanne Steiner
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have this fireplace, although it is even uglier, with green tile, if you can imagine that. I am thinking of painting the whole works black, tile and all. I wish I could rip it all out. The matching floor tile is hideous.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Glad I'm not alone. Honestly I think I might retile, and spray paint the fireplace to get rid of the gold. I'll but relatively inexpensive tile so that when I have to rip it out someday, it wont be a huge waste of money. I am thinking like some slate tile. And I need to paint that awful oak mantel.

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    3 years ago

I'm not convinced that is actually a gas fireplace. It could be a gas log installed in a wood burning fireplace, which is a huge difference. Can you take a picture looking up inside that shows the vent? Also, look around inside near the front on the sides or top and see if you can find a label that has the brand and model. Post a legible picture of that as well. Take a picture with the doors open as well, so we can see the gas logs.

Also, if the bottom grill pulls out and you can access the gas controls, then it is certainly a gas only fireplace and you are back to square 1.

Reason I ask is that you may be able to do a lot more with that front piece than you think, and you may want to deal with that before you start working on the tile and mantel. Good idea to at least know what you have.

Post the pictures and I'll help you identify it.

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    3 years ago

Hi Hansen Wholesale. If you look closely, the glass front is a single panel. The doors are not operable. It's gas.

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    3 years ago

You are so correct...just looked like a typical burner pan under the logs. It was late...

Kristen, don't waste your time with the pictures I requested.

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    3 years ago

Hey, bro. No need to explain. We are all a little taxed. You make a lot of good comments and you were spot on with mentioning the technical difference. ;-)