Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemycorgi

Please help with ID?

Can someone help me ID this weeping conifer? It's mature, tall, and very skinny. I'll post a photo in the comments. Thank you!

Comments (14)

• lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    3 years ago

Looks like PIcea glauca 'Pendula'.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

And nowhere near mature - look how long the leader is.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked Embothrium
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, both! Embothrium, how much taller/wider do you think it will get? I have a perfect spot for something like this, but don't want even a ten foot wide tree.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I haven't seen this cultivar described as a dwarf. And the parent species produces a full sized tree over 60 ft. tall.

I've seen some up to 50+ feet tall

https://conifersociety.org/conifers/picea-glauca-pendula/

Original Author
    3 years ago

Just got back from the garden center and they want $549 for one! They only have two and they're about six feet tall. Nothing at the local commercial nursery, who lets the gen pop in on Tuesdays. That seems like an outrageous price!! Or am I just a cheapskate?

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

91 dollars per foot does seem a bit much. Search the web for "picea glauca pendula price" to see about having a small one sent to you.

• plantkiller_il_5
    3 years ago

does that garden center have a fall sale ?

ron

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked plantkiller_il_5
  • plantkiller_il_5
    3 years ago

Gee farms has #6 for 245,,& 36" for 140

call them...s.e mich.

ron

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, plantkiller! Gee is about an hour from my house, but might be worth it if I can get some of the other plants I need. I like that their catalog has prices; I usually go to Milarch's, which also has an on-line catalog, but no prices.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

as with most trees ... i would suggest you go smaller .. easier to transport ... easier to plant ... easier to get over both those stresses ... and most likely to outgrow the larger specimen in 5 or 10 years ... i would go MAX 3 foot ... on the plant.. not plus the pot ....

i would also note... in the first pic.. its now leaning away from the house.. and that is only going to get worse ... and they arent going to stake it.. lol ...

and a 3 footer you could have mail ordered ....

ken

though this is the SPECIMEN page... i would think they have them on other sizes ... contact them re: such

https://www.coniferkingdom.com/picea-glauca-pendula-specimen-1803/

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Sara Malone Zone 9b
    3 years ago

They get taller but stay pretty narrow. Also, you can estimate height after X number of years by measuring yearly growth and multiplying. Unless you are entailing your property I would only focus on what it will do in your lifetime. The next owner may raze everything on the property for all you know!

Gary Gee is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable people that I know and I would love to visit his place! His daughter runs the nursery but I bet he's around...

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

, you can estimate height after X number of years by measuring yearly growth and multiplying.

==>>>

look at that first pic.. you see what the leader grew this year ... that is its annual growth rate currently ...

right below that is the whorl.. from last years buds that didnt leader ..... and below that.. are some secondary buds that triggered this spring ...

a lot of conifers grow in this pattern.. and once you learn to see it.. making guesses as to size is not that hard ...

unless.. you have idiot robins and/or crows ... who insist on landing on leaders ... and then you have problems at height ... i mean realy.. how would you get up there on this one.. if you had competing leaders ...

ken

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5