Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamela_floyd30

I have a breakfront that I would like to separate into two pieces.

P. Floyd
3 years ago

I am not sure the two pieces are able to separate. I have looked inside and behind --there are some long screws but my fear is that if the top does come off it may be open in the middle. I don't mind taking on a project to add a wood top and finish it to match if possible. I would just like the dining room to look cleaner and more updated. I would use the bottom as a buffet if possible. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

And how would WE know?? Empty it out, unscrew the screws, and see what you have.

P. Floyd thanked JAN MOYER
  • arcy_gw
    3 years ago

Your base looks low. Is it/will it be a usable height once the top is removed?

P. Floyd thanked arcy_gw
  • Ruth House
    3 years ago

I found this very well-made (and TOO well-painted in OIL paint 😱)mid century hutch at Habitat. I found screws and just took it apart. After a lot of work, here’s how it turned out. Since the base was low, I ordered chrome feet with a retro look. Currently I’m working on the top piece. I may hang it separately on a French clear above the credenza for a more interesting look- not sure yet. Go for it! Could be a great project

P. Floyd thanked Ruth House
  • apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

What are the dimensions? If it's large, it would probably have been delivered in two pieces when you bought it. Try emptying the whole thing out, scoot it out from the wall, and take some photos of the back.

If you decide to leave it together, put the lights on a timer for the times you'll be in the room every day, then see if it looks more modern to you when you choose three good sized items (the size of a basketball, not a bud vase) per shelf. I'm assuming it has three doors, hence, one item centered on each door on each shelf.

Often a large, beautiful china cabinet like this one that's been in place for several years attracts wine glasses, cake plates, knick knacks and so on instead of displaying a colorful bowl or place setting of china in each of the three spots per shelf.

Here's an example of a beautiful display of colorful plates:

Lina Contemporary Hutch and Buffet · More Info

P. Floyd thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I need to see the piece from further back and we have no way of knowing what you will encounter when it is taken apart . All of these pieces are in 2 pieces for sure so yes it can be taken apart but I need to see it in the space . I would probably plan on a marble top as opposed to try to match the wood . IMO the stuff usually in these is stuff you should be using all the time and I think a very dated idea so I agree to removing the top. BTW I have set the tops of these on a dresser in a walk in closet and used the piece for accessories , purses all kinds of things.

P. Floyd thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • P. Floyd
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Patricia Cromwell Consulting--Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am going to clear it out and see what I've got! You are so right about the things you can accumulate, I plan on using some, and donating some. I love the marble top idea.

Karen McLean- your project came out great! Also love the idea of purchasing feet to raise the height. Thank you!

• bouncy5
    3 years ago

If you do this ,please post the result . I’m thinking about doing the same with mine.

• Tootsie
    3 years ago

You can add a nice piece of marble, granite, or quartz to the top. It will make it a bit taller but that’s a plus in my opinion.