Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samantha_mathwich

Which way should the door swing?

Sarah M
3 years ago

I'm wondering which way would be better to swing the entry door from the garage into the mudroom. I'll add the picture in the comments. My concern about it swinging this way is that it swings into the laundry door. If I swing it toward the wall on the right, it will stick out a little into the doorway to the kitchen, but it's a pretty wide doorway and you could definitely get around it. Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (27)

• formulaross20
    3 years ago

Swing into the house. If the door is to swing into the garage towards stairs, I believe code requires a full size landing before the stairs begin.

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@formulaross20 I'm not talking about swinging it into the garage. Plus it is zero entry so no steps, but rather left hand inswing vs right hand inswing. I've attached a picture. May add a screen door on it eventually which would swing out into the garage toward the wall.

• formulaross20
    3 years ago

Main paths will be from the garage into the kitchen or bathroom, rarely from the garage into the laundry. Swing the door as shown in the drawing, hinge on the laundry room side.

Sarah M thanked formulaross20
  • One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

I'd swing it so that it rests against the pantry wall. :-) Like you, I wouldn't want the door to hit the Laundry room door. I don't like the door stopper hinge thingies, because every time I've had them, they damage the door trim. :-/

[Random side note: The phrase "zero entry" always makes me smile....]

Sarah M thanked One Devoted Dame
  • Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@One Devoted Dame Thanks. Uh oh is that not what it is really called or why do you smile? ha!

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

Uh oh is that not what it is really called or why do you smile? ha!

lol

It's just that, when you think about "zero" (nothing; lack; void) and "entry" (space that transitions from outside of something to inside), it seems to make no sense to say, "zero entry" unless you're telling someone they can't/shouldn't enter. :-D

• tendrac
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Is that some type of cubbies or storage adjacent to the laundry room entry?

If so, can you move the laundry room door to that location and then the cubbies will behind the door? You could put a door stop on either floor or on the garage door's hinges. This would limit the possibility of bumping the cabinet / cubbies.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Move the laundry door to the other end of its wall.

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@One Devoted Dame Ahh yes! I'll say zero step entry then for you! 🤣

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tendrac Yes lockers with a bench which will be fairly decorative so I don't necessarily want to hide them behind the door. Also want to be able to sit on the bench for shoes which I guess wouldn't work if door is open.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Swing the door up against the wall, either in or out.

A "Butler's Pantry" is a small service and storage room between a kitchen and a dining room. Please have your designer change the name on the drawings to eliminate confusion of those that are educated in the fact.

What does the note "zero entry from garage to house" mean?

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Why not have the entry door from the garage go into the laundry room?

Would eliminate a door and give you more options in the so called "entry".

Then I would make the door a pocket door from laundry to entry. It's going to

be open most of the time, so why not. When doing laundry, just close it.

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Angel 18432 I don't want any company that comes in through the garage in my laundry room...and the cat chews on clothes so the laundry door will be usually closed.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Company comes thru the garage?

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect Yes I know this isn't a true Butler's pantry, everyone who looks at it can see. I'm not going to bother him to change it for a technicality when I have a hard enough time getting him to work on it at all.

Zero step entry is what that means. Thank

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Angel 18432 Yes ma'am. Especially family or if the guys are drinking a beer in the garage...🤣

• cd7733
    3 years ago

I would have it swing into the garage. It will free up more area in the entry way and have wall space to hang things, if needed. You'll also not block the path into the laundry room and lessen the chance of bumping someone in the entry way.

Sarah M thanked cd7733
  • Angel 18432
    3 years ago

If there is a car there, it may not be possible.

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

For original layout - where are the light switches you’ll need to access when you come in from the garage?

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

Miss Samantha, I'm totally with you, on keeping Garage traffic out of the Laundry room. :-D I don't even use my garage to enter the house (I use my front door), but I still don't like the laundry room being used as a hallway from the garage to the house (a former house of mine had this, and it drove me nuts). My laundry room works hard all on its own; it doesn't need thru traffic, too, lol!

Edited to add: I don't see a problem with light switch placement; am I missing something? :-O

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

If you have to reach around an open door to access a light switch it is important.

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

If you have to reach around an open door to access a light switch it is important.

I totally get this, but I see light switch opportunities for both ways to swing the door, that don't involve reaching around a door...?

(If the door hits the Laundry door [as shown in the original], the light switch can go on the pantry wall, to the right, correct? If the door hits the pantry wall [as proposed], the switch can go on the garage wall, to the left, yes?)

I admit that there may be something I'm not seeing, or not fully understanding (wall anatomy or something), which is why I asked. :-D

Sarah M thanked One Devoted Dame
  • chispa
    3 years ago

You can just put a motion sensor on that light and then you don't have to worry if the light switch isn't in the perfect position for everyone! The light will turn on when anyone enters the space and no reaching for switches when your hands are full of groceries.

Sarah M thanked chispa
  • Pusiwillow Smith
    3 years ago

My door swings both ways.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Consider decreasing the door widths to 32" for both garage and laundry. That would keep the garage entry door from encroaching into the opening and give more clearance to the underrepresented washer/dryer depths (plus drywall, baseboards, ducts etc).

36" doors need preplanning. 32" doors are reasonable for wheelchairs but more importantly having 12-18" added space on the latch side for accessibility.

Hard to read small dimensions on the photos.

And yes, I would swing the door into the garage if possible.