Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_h42

Kitchen Re-Model/Renovation Layout Ideas Suggestions wanted

Tim H
3 years ago

In the process of remodel renovation of first floor of two story home, typical rectangular box with attached 2 car garage. Large covered front porch, square three season covered screened rear porch off of Family room/ Kitchen shared rectangular room. Basic box over box layout is the best way to describe the rooms and construction. Everything is a square or rectangle in shape.

Kitchen Layout is the portion of the project that is in need of constructive input.

Key points to consider.

Family of Five, adult sized people.

One person is severely allergic to virtually all food groups. This necessitates a hope to have a discrete storage and prep and cleanup area for their nutritional needs; refrigeration, room temp storage, separate wash sink and medical feeding equipment storage. Would prefer to secure this area as a discrete area in the kitchen, i.e. same area as the family gathers, just a special corner to stock and prepare this persons nutritional fulfillment needs. Inclusion of this person in family time is paramount to family unit.

Two other people are young adults and their Electronic Device Needs. Other than that, they eat almost anything offered and hang out with family and friends here as well. They are encouraged to prepare foods when ever it suits them, cleanup still eludes them.

Parental Needs, Organization and reduction of clutter, maintaining a large variety of fresh food products, desire and need to prepare most all meals daily. Need to store canned goods/boxed food products, more cooking and serving utensils than is probably normal, move counter appliances out of sight while remaining easily accessible for retrieval and use. This is the mission control area of the household. 85% of the occupancy time of the house is in the Kitchen and adjoining Family Living Room.

In progress is demolition of flooring, the entire first floor, in preparation for installation of a uniform random width; 3, 4 and 5 inch planks, dull finish, lightly distressed wood flooring. Flooring is Beech wood. Color is a primarily light tan, think natural unfinished wood type coloring. Medium to Heavy saw marks will be applied.

Finished basement underneath. Access to all utilities will be accommodated for all changes/additions/relocations.

Power vents will be required through sidewalls as no access through second floor to attic is available.

Exterior Walls are SIP's Construction. Interior walls are 2 x 4 stick.

Three entrances into the kitchen exist. Shared common area with family living room. Hallway from Garage, laundry, bathroom,

office/bedroom areas. Direct doorway access to the formal dining room.

Kitchen is North and West Exposure at the rear or Sink/Window Wall.

Kitchen is 14 feet across and 19 feet deep. Across would be the area from family /Living area to the hallway leading to garage, laundry, bathroom and office/bedroom, ie East to West, with East being the Family/Living Room and West being the Office/Bedroom sides of the House. Depth would be from the front of the House, Southern facing, to the rear of the House where the Kitchen -Family/Living room terminate facing North.

Kitchen Re-modal Renovation, Address Clutter, Special Medical Dietary P · More Info

Kitchen Re-modal Renovation, Address Clutter, Special Medical Dietary P · More Info

Comments (10)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm not sure what your goal is for the butler's pantry--a true butler's pantry is usually located between the kitchen and DR for convenient serving. If that's a food pantry, then it's in a good location--I included a door from the kitchen, with fridge next to it. So, here's a start on the layout, with the discrete storage and prep in the bottom right corner.

The island is 5' deep and 7.5' wide. The NKBA recommended minimum for one island seat is 24", so one seat on the short side can use up to 36" of elbow space.

Other notes: I extended the cabinets on the sink wall into the FR, to give you a 21" drawer base on each side of the cooktop cabinet.The sink in the special prep section can also serve the coffee/drinks center. A small trash receptacle could be kept under the sink in the special prep area, or the coffee center, to serve both areas. (If you need a separate DW for clean-up for the special diet, an 18" DW could be subbed in for the drawer base.) The cabinets under the seating overhang are 18" deep.

1 square=6".

ETA plan without pantry door in kitchen:

Tim H thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Jillius
    3 years ago

You might look at Kosher kitchens for inspiration for your separate area for the allergen free food prep.

Tim H thanked Jillius
  • Tim H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jillius, Great Recommendation, but just overwhelmed by the sheer (or is it shear) volume of pictures on the internet. Just to much dis-jointed info to search anymore, maybe i'm just getting lazy.

Thank you Mama Goose. I really appreciate your input. Your right a tru butlers type of pantry would be between the two, i'm doing a combination, coffee make toaster ice maker small liquer cabinet and wine with some warming plates etc and then a pantry as well. maybe i have too many items on my wish list for that, but it is after the next renovation project that i can take over the laundry room. I want to add a second story addition with a second story utility and laundry, gotta have that before i can chuck the washer down here. or Maybe I could just suck it up and hire a laundry service, none of us like doing the laundry. TY for the time you put into the suggestion.

• Tim H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Further review, from our perspective.

Double Ovens where current Range is.

Remove Upper Cabinets to the right and left of Sink.

Increase Sink Window from Two to Three.

Move Refrigerator to right of Dishwasher, retain lower Cabinet between Dishwasher and Refrigerator.

Lower and Upper Cabinets L shaped where the Refrigerator is Currently.

Remove Angled Cabinets at entrance to Dining Room and replace with Rectangular Floor to Ceiling Cabinet, is it going to feel like walking through a Tunnel to the Dining Room?

Remove Angled Cabinet to the left of the Dining Room entrance and replace with similar to the opposite side floor to ceiling cabinet.

Replace Built in Pantry with something similar and in new cabinet style? Is there a better storage device?

Islands. Yes plural, should we do two single cabinet depth islands ? One would be for the cooktop, 36 inch induction. We can't have Gas due to Medical issues; My poor remodeled fireplace will never see a fire. Oh well.

Island One just south of the sink area, would have the cooktop, under counter Microwave, drawers for pots, pans utensils, textiles, what else should we plan to store in this area?

Island Two, spaced so the walkway from the Hallway leading to the garage/office/laundry/bathroom is continuous, unimpeded path to the family living room area.

Thinking a 10-12 inch overhang, dining room side, for stools that can be stored under the overhang? Drawers on this Island as well with the access to the drawers being on the pathway side? Are handles going to be an aggravating issue in catching clothing etc. ?

Or is it truly better to just make one big deep island and have the walk path go around the island, like we currently have with the non-usable three sided (hexagonal style) island? Deep island Issues, can't really take advantage of having storage drawers that are all easily accessible. Walk path is interrupted. Cooktop could be positioned to face towards the fireplace, East, versus facing the dining room entrance and thus having to look left to look into family room, is it even a big deal to turn your head, I dunno?

• Tim H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OOF. Was I ever dreaming. My budget needs a serious infusion. Surprised, but then not exactly surprised.

An evaluation technique for costing or assessing profitability that i was exposed to as a young person was looking at the cost/profit per square foot or square inch of space/material.

This estimate came out at a cost of $550 per square foot, not including appliances.

This is a rural Ohio urban home, if that context adds anything.

What would be your thoughts? Perfectly inline or time to pair it back?

• Tim H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update 10-31-20

Seems like forever has passed since starting this project . Floor went in. Fireplace was neerly done, except they made the surround to the wrong size so it doesn't fit.

Cabinets and islands coming soon. Still have to find electrician and someone to supply and install counters.

• Tim H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh as for the price, After meeting with a few more manufacturers, my original perceived cost basis was pretty close. All in the cabinets and counters should be under $40k with natural stone counters. Keep in mind, I am doing the removal and prep for new install. This may actuall come out mid $30k's as the just under $40k estimate right now is based on the counters costing around $150 per sq ft, which frankly seems more like California, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta prices to me.

I think the big lesson i've learned so far is to be patient, which I'm frankly not very good at. Get as many estimates as you need and be somewhat mindful of being realistic with your budget and expectations. I have arranged everything for a price that i find fair; it is about a 1/3 more than i really wanted to spend; but i also didn't really intend to buy all of the options we wound up ordering. My Guess is that I could have received a new kitchen for what I wanted to spend originally, spouses have their own idea's and wants too. I'm not always good at taking that into account.

• Tim H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This what we have ordered.

Islands will be black,matte type finish with slight paint rub through.

• Tim H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the Granite we wanted, but only one sheet left and we need three. Kinda bummed, as i like this better. than the Darker one we picked.