Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

I want a Martha Washington cabinet and I can't find one.

Fori
3 years ago

I want a Martha Washington sewing cabinet. One of those early 20th century bulbous things. I want it to hold sewing stuff while not looking out of place in a living room full of brown furniture. I like the functionality of these things. Of course I prefer the ones with little trays and fittings for spools. Of course I do.

Looking at eBay and random used furniture sellers on the internet, these cabinets all seem to be on the east coast and I am on the west, where apparently people didn't sew (except my great grandmother who was a seamstress in southern CA but she had a shop and no need for a tiny sewing cabinet).

So, if you had a NEED for a Martha Washington sewing cabinet but you couldn't GET one, what would you get instead? It seems like all new sewing furniture is very practical, and not at all living-room friendly.

Novelty furniture. Gosh. I love it.

Comments (26)

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

I just took a quick look on Facebook Marketplace, and there are 2 within 20 miles of me (I'm in Chicago area), and several more around the Midwest.

I temporarily changed my location to Los Angeles, and a dozen more pulled up. If you're not on FB, this isn't a reason to join, but they're out there.

Fori thanked Feathers11
  • lizzie_grow
    3 years ago

I googled it & there are some on Etsy & Chairish...

Fori thanked lizzie_grow
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

Oh, that would be so cool in your LR! And it was only 6.00?

I got this page Vintage sewing notions cabinet when I googled. There's a few on there, one for sale from Etsy that someone painted. If you can't find a MW, there might be another type that you'd like.

Fori thanked Oakley
  • bpath
    3 years ago

My grandmother’s. It cost me more to refinish it than a new one like in your ad! It had been sitting in front of a window for 60 years and looked it. When I got it back from the refinisher, I noticed that the inlays on the front were all different colors. I talked to them about it, then got busy and never arranged for them to redo it. Now I’m used to it lol. There is similar pattern on the top. Honestly, right now I don’t use it for anything, but sorry, not selling it.

Fori thanked bpath
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bpath, that was definitely not the six dollar model! They seem to range in quality from cheap to fine furniture. Clunky like the one in the ad to, well, that one. :)

Thanks all for the search tips. We're pretty much on covid lockdown here so maybe I'm getting cabin fever.

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

Try "sewing machine cabinet" using eBay's advanced search feature to locate one within a certain distance from your home.

Fori thanked Fun2BHere
  • elunia
    3 years ago

Sew interesting! I’ve been looking for something similar for keeping current project sewing and knitting supplies handy. The ones I love don't seem to be available in the US.

Fori thanked elunia
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I used to have a very nice one but I don't remember what I paid for it or how much I sold it for. Solid wood. It made a nice little table - I had it in a bedroom and didn't use for storage. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen one in some time!

Fori thanked Tina Marie
  • jellytoast
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Are you in So. Cal? There is one advertised on the Inland Empire Craigslist in Rancho Cucamonga for $125. Looks just like the one in your ad.

Fori thanked jellytoast
  • olychick
    3 years ago

There are probably many for sale by descendents of the original owners (eta, trying to sell g'ma's old furniture) who have no idea it's called a Martha Washington cabinet. I would just look for vintage sewing cabinets and see if that doesn't yield more results in your area. I can't remember, are you in WA?

Fori thanked olychick
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all. I'm in the San Francisco area. I guess after the pandemic and fires and oh i don't know...locusts?, I'll be willing to get out and do some local shopping. In the meantime, I have a trusty Rubbermaid tote.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

Fori, the one that jellytoast linked is beautiful!

Maybe you could contact the seller and see if they'd ship it? (I don't know what you wanted to spend on one...)

Fori thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

There are several in my area for sale, this one for 150.00 is in “excellent” condition and made of solid mahogany, even the price is negotiable. It’s been listed for over 2 months, so maybe they’d ship it. It’s beautiful.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2627649410828424

Fori thanked Lukki Irish
  • Lukki Irish
    3 years ago
    Fori thanked Lukki Irish
  • elunia
    3 years ago

@Fori — I saw this and thought of you...

www.liveauctioneers.com

Fori thanked elunia
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! That's a nice one. I wonder how well these things ship. They don't appear all that sturdy.

I love how it has a plaque on it: "Presented to Charlotte F.P. Shoemaker by her father 9/30/15"

There's a darn good chance her dad gave that to her 5 years ago and she didn't like it as much as he thought she would! I don't think many of these things date back as far 1915.

• User
    3 years ago

I don't know Fori. Have a look at the date on this one.

Fori thanked User
  • elunia
    3 years ago

Yes, I love the plaque too! It’s very old fashioned, more in keeping with a 1915 date rather 2015. I like to think the daughter cherished it.

Fori thanked elunia
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It could have been new in 1915 I suppose! They were based on an old design but like my antique Duncan Phyfe dining set (and almost everyone else's), few are the real deal.

They probably peaked during the great depression when a lot of furniture companies kept the lights on making inexpensive "novelty" furniture that people could afford. (Not to say there aren't good quality ones as well--and even the low end ones were probably decent by today's furniture standards.)

• olychick
    3 years ago

Here's an article that might be of interest:

https://antiquesqa.blogspot.com/2012/06/stitch-in-time.html

Fori thanked olychick
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Most of those articles end up with the item getting painted. :)

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Keep an eye on Everything But The House (ebth.com). Sign up and set up a notification for “sewing cabinets.” They do not have any listed right now, but I checked the ended items and found several. All looked relatively nice and had sold for less than $100. EBTH ships!

• Darla
    3 days ago

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 days ago

I had an antique mahogany one that was my grandmother's. It still had sewing and knitting supplies in it. If I still had it, I would give it to you. I had no place for it and DH put in in the garage. Found it collapsed one morning. So sad.