Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_2k06

Flooring for Cherry Cabinets

Chris 2k06
3 years ago

I am selling my house. I decided to make updates since I got tired of lowering the price (although I wish I did instead of taking on the projects) which have been a nightmare and cost a ton. It was "dated" browns and reds. I updated the counters to white quartz, all new chrome light fixtures and bathroom fixtures and brushed nickel knobs. I even had a new island built. I had the entire house painted Repose Grey walls and Decorator white trim. I tried to lighten the space up and do the work everyone thought was too much to do. I really do not want to paint the cabinets white if I do not need to.

I am not sure whether to do a light engineered hardwood or a very dark one black one to match the stairs which are now tricon black. I have already moved out and will not be using the house so am looking for what everyone thinks adds the best value and look.

Malibu Wide French Oak Santa Monica by home depot

View of original floor. Disregard wall paint and counters and island.

This is the original kitchen

New kitchen with new knobs, light fixtures, island and new chrome hood and white 4x10 subway tiles are coming.

Same floor in great room. The wall colors are now grey and white trim and all new fixtures. Staircase is now Tricorn Black Sherwin Williams

Comments (96)

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That looks amazing, wow! I agree on the lighter floors. Just not sure which of the 2.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

do you mind sharing why you choose 4? I like 2 and 4 both.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

maybe it's the lighting? #1 looks pinker.

why don't you place a1 and 4 side by side, and make sure you have good, natural light (or a 4000K bulb) to take another pic

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

2 is on the left and 4 is on the right.

right.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

the #2 is really light. I think the 4 is just a tad warmer. but honestly, they are very close in color.

inside w/those bulbs, #1 just takes on a pink hue. But so does the countertop

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I will put them side by side and take a pic and post it. That is a good idea. 2 is lighter and seems more of a "washed" look.

Beth: i posted the sample pics side by side of 2/4.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

I like 4 because it looks more natural. Something about the whiteness of 2 bothers me, but I leave it to the pros!

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Me too...I will leave it to my Houzz pros! #2 is more of a white washed look...#4 is a warmer look.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Chris, can I show you mine? I went w/a wide plank French Oak, 8" wide, 9/16 thick engineered. Calif. Classics Mediterranean. I love this flooring.

http://www.californiaclassicsfloors.com/hardwood-flooring/Mediterranean/French%20Oak/Granville-flooring.aspx

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yours is amazing. It looks like 4. It is warmer. I agree I think is best to go with . I will take a pic of both in am and post to confirm .

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And although not my exact cherry you have darker cabinets and white

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

4 is first 2 is second

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

i think 4. 2 really is very light. which is ok too, but I think 4 lends just a little bit more warmth.

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Everyone has picked 4. I will go with that . It is of course preference but trying to cater to most people’s likes

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you and everyone

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

This is also going in the entry with all of the dark Tuscan elements?

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

All the Tuscan features have been updated to a more transitional style. The dark browns are now Decorator White and the tan walls are Repose Grey. All the fixtures are also brushed chrome and nickel.

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

you can see the before color change the brown to the grey and and the fixture updates for example. The floor will go through the entire first level

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

not sure if this got deleted. 4 is the middle one and 2 is farthest right

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

It looks better in person than on the website, warmer.

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

definitely. Everyone picked 4. I really am thankful for everyones help. I will send pics when it is done. Thank you everyone.

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

well after months and months and one bad contractor after another, here are the pics. After changing the floors, quartz counters, subway backsplash, hood, island, fixtures, sink, hardware, repose grey and decorators white paint, the first person in said "none of it matches, it looks terrible, worst color scheme ever and everything including the new floors need to be torn out. Regardless, i think it looks good and appreciate all the help.

• luvcolor10b
    3 years ago

Great choice in flooring! It will sell soon. You did more than enough!

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much. The first positive comment I received. I am so thankful I went with what the room consensus was. I think it looks great esp compared to the ceramic tile before.

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This was first comment received so has not started well. "My clients would have to rip out the kitchen floors, cabinets & countertops.... along with everything else!. Hope you can get it sold! I forgot to mention great to see them want to "upgrade" the lighting but the light fixtures, counters, hood, floor are very low end"

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

It looks beautiful!

Was the comment from a "realtor"?

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. And yes it was. I think it was an improvement from what was there. Bad choice to do the "updates" (time, money, stress) and now not sure what to do.

• areyano_cs
    3 years ago

FWIW I think your after looks wonderful. I’m not a pro and have only experienced selling two former homes. I recall the most disheartening comments were those that termed my first house as “dated”. In my naïveté, I remember thinking, “well go look at a brand new house then!” I still feel the same way, but our second house sold in 4 days because it was well priced and over improved. Good luck Chris!

Chris 2k06 thanked areyano_cs
  • Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Not sure what market you are in, but where we are right now, but your house would be "pending" before it even gets posted!

If I were you, I would try not to sell to any of her "clients"!

Chris 2k06 thanked Mary Elizabeth
  • Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know the house looked dated before and got bad advice and was to naive to know that. I get it different people have different opinions, but to say everything is "subpar" etc was so sad. I mean I did not do the work. The quartz is the expensive with the big grey, subway tile from Floor and Decor, the hood custom made same with island. I think the floor looks way nicer than the old ceramic. I guess i thought a simple " not interested" vs went into this long winded ripping the home. Almost like it is personal (never even heard of her) or something. I did tell the realtor to not allow her back in the home.

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Not that it matters but I get people have different tastes. I am happy with the floor the room helped choose. The contractor did not do the best job then didn't come back after butchering it and being paid in full and had to hire someone else to fix what they could. Despite the improvements, the pricing is below market comps to sell fast. That is partially why I am freaked out. Spent all that money and time and grief priced below market to then get punched in the gut out of the gate.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I think it looks fine together. (although, why did you use the 4" quartz piece up the back if you were doing tile? That's my only complaint with the material)

I think the flooring looks great!

the cabs could easily be refaced and painted, so not sure why this person thinks it's a complete gut job!

The paint job is so much better than the previous

did you do anything else in this area?

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It was my fault I did not know. I was planning to paint the cabinets white but went so far over budget I did not do it.

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

it's quite a diff

much lighter and brighter. I hope it sells for you!

Chris 2k06 thanked Beth H. :
  • Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you. That is what I thought but wow was not expecting the negative feedback. I am not sure if it was negotiating technique to try to low ball later (doubtful) but wow it was hurtful. I thought it looked nicer as well. I hope someone shares the sentiment

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

All that work and stress, it looks improved for sure. I hope it sells quickly. That realtor is a nasty one, I hope her person gets critiqued the way she dishes it out.

Chris 2k06 thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. And yeah, I do not know the realtor but she went out of her way to comment. She sent the feedback, texted the realtor, and called him to keep it going. Strange. Just hope it sells soon.

• territheresa
    3 years ago

Looks good. Hope you get all the money for it.

• pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

The new flooring looks great! I would not take the rude feedback from a single realtor and a single prospective buyer too seriously. I would wait and listen for commonalities in feedback from multiple prospective buyers.

Chris 2k06 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • User
    2 years ago

For what its worth, I think you did an amazing job. As others have commented, in my market - this house would have been snapped up immediately. The only thing I wanted to mention, is you could have the cabinets professionally painted white - but I know I am writing WAY after the fact (9 months later) I’m sure the house has sold by now. Hope everything worked out for you!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@Chris 2k06 Have you sold the house?

• Chris 2k06
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It did finally sell at a big loss. Probably the only house that did partially because it sat so long. It as a nightmare. Thank you to everyone. for your help

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

It took me 5 years to sell a house, so I know what a nightmare you’ve been through. Be glad it’s not in your life now and you can move on. Ours was a huge loss as well.