Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richie_lein

Any advice on painting this living room/loft with wood beams/accents?

Richie
3 years ago

Will be moving into our first home shortly and we are looking to do some painting on the interior prior to move-in.

We love the wood accents in the home, and while the current clean white paintjob is nice, we were thinking that an accent color could be a nice touch.

The images show the Living Room and up into the loft, to show that the large wall is continuous up to that area.

There is an image also of a quick mock-up of the areas we were thinking of accenting with a color (currently leaning SW Cascades, just due to how it plays with the color of the wood.)

The third image is the view from the loft, showing how high the vaulted ceiling and continuous wall are.

I also added an image of the wall opposite the entry, looking down from the loft, showing the fireplace in case that gives any ideas as well.

The elevation with the stairs is the southern wall, so lots of light coming in from that side, in the case that affects opinions!

I know it's not a lot to go on, but any recommendations for colors or where to apply colors to accent the space would be greatly appreciated.

I know I don't have a floorplan, but currently furniture is waiting as we figure out the walls!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• deegw
    3 years ago

It's a nice space. I think you have enough going on visually and accent walls aren't necessary. You have three different wood tones, railings, raised dining area, dramatic fireplace, balconies and beams.

The wood trim and white walls are a perfect backdrop to let your decor shine. I would concentrate on rugs, window treatments, lamps, furniture and art.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would go with white. Accent walls look dated, and you would tired of it very fast.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Agree White.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    3 years ago

I like your mock up with the teal walls in the stair area. That would be easy to repaint if you tire of it. I suggest deciding on a wonderful rug before you paint--then choose the accent color from the rug. If you want a neutral rug, then I like your teal. deegw is correct that there is a lot going on but I think it will work. Good luck.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Paint is the last item selected in a decorating plan because it must work the the fabrics and textiles you're installing. Waiting for the furniture is a mistake, as the "set in stone" upholstery, rugs, etc will inform what to do with the walls. While it is tempting to paint before moving in, unless you're going with white, it isn't the best option. Your architecturally interesting home is not in need of any kind of accent unless you wanted to paint all that wood surrounding the fireplace.

• Brown Dog
    3 years ago

Cool house! Oodles of potential! But you've got a lot going on here with the openness and adding a feature wall colour will not be doing the architecture any favours. I would keep it simple and go with one colour throughout. I would go with a white for the walls and the currently painted trimwork. Let the wood accents be the star of your house. That being said, there are 2 things that bother me in the photos. First, the dining room, why does it have a railing? Looks like a weird adult playpen. I would remove that railing and build wall-to-wall steps on each side of the dining room that go down to the lower levels and that would make your space more open and accessible. The other thing that bothers me is the very traditional furniture and lighting. I couldn't tell by your description if the furniture is yours or the previous owners. I would definitely replace all the lighting with something in a more contemporary style. Your furniture should also be simple lines and more minimal. You have an opportunity to make this a really special house. The architecture is already cool, what you do with it could make it awesomely cool!!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The color of the floor what should influence your scheme.

Do not paint an accent wall.

Do paint all other wood trim white…railings, interior doors, any wood trim which is not the color of thefloor.

Fireplace surround, definitely get rid of it. What could you do with those shelves? How could you clean them? I would sheet rock over the entirety.

Wall color?

B.M. Pebble Beach

Rove Concepts sofa

Joss & Main