Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Might this be a pulsatilla vulgaris?

I saw this plant today in bloom. My photo doesnt do justice to brightness of the red and white for these flowers.

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No, not pulsatilla. That is an early spring bloomer, usually purple but sometimes white (never red) and will produce rather distinctive looking seedheads after. Common name is 'pasque flower', indicating it is usually in flower right around Easter.

That looks like a salvia and possibly Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips', which has those very distinctive, two-toned red and white flowers. And will continue blooming until a hard frost.

• WeedHater
    3 years ago

Yes, I was also going to say Salvia "Hot Lips". I grew it one year and that is what it looked like. It isn't hardy where I am unfortunately (zone 6b). (Amazingly enough my pineapple sage returned this year and it is huge!)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

The salvia is fully hardy here, almost evergreen in fact, and becomes a decent sized shrub. And with a very long bloom season.

I also have pineapple sage 'Golden Delicious' - supposedly NOT hardy here - but it did winter over last year for the first time. But we never get very hot here in summer and start cooling down about now anyways so it is always a toss-up if the thing will bloom before it shuts down due to cold. I think I might have gotten two flowers on it last year :-(

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Even with our hot, midwest summers, Pineapple Sage rarely blooms here. I've decided they aren't worth the trouble. Love that fragrance tho.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all...clearly it is Salvia "Hot Lips". It is so pretty.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

I’m wondering what made you think it might be Pulsatilla vulgaris? Was it labelled as such? Because they’re totally unlike each other.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes. This plant was in a shady bed at a botanical garden and as is usual there was an ID label stuck in the ground, so very close to the plant in question.

Mistake made and now I am embarrassed (of course I wish I had looked up the details of PV before posting).

• karin_mt
    3 years ago

Here's what those two plants have in common: They are both awesome.

I use 'Hot Lips' in big planters on the front porch where it blooms nonstop for 4-5 months and is a reliable hummingbird feeding station. Every now and then I use different plants on the porch, and none are as good as Hot Lips.

I also have a total soft spot for pasqueflowers. They bloom so early that each one is a treasure. They have little hairs that glow in the soft light of April. Their seedheads are a delight. I can't get enough of them!

No need to be embarrassed Rouge!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked karin_mt
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I don't think you should be embarrassed either. If not familiar with either plant, I'd probably believe a tag at a botanical garden as well :-)

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    3 years ago

I love pulsatilla too. Here it is:

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Oh, no. No need for embarrassment. I was just curious as they’re so different. Mislabelling was the only reason I could think of. Of course there might have been P vulgaris in that spot but there’d be nothing to see of it at this time of year.