Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_horowitz30

Island color for agreeable gray kitchen- at my wits end!

Kate Horowitz
3 years ago

So I started looking at darker earthy greens because I wanted my golden oak cabinets to work with it. We have agreeable gray on the walls. The colors were WAY too dark for our space- we have a lot of windows but somehow not much light usually hits the actual kitchen and island. I tried a few blues- stardew and krypton. I felt like I was getting closer but it looks too blue?? So onto blue greens of sort ... I’m thinking Oyster Bay. Silvermist is a contender but again seems to pull too blue. I’m wanting a cozy/breezy earthy look. Nothing too modern. Is Oyster Bay a terrible idea and should we just eventually paint all the cabinets white and call it a day? Thank you 🙏

Comments (16)

• Ephma
    3 years ago

So I’m having a little trouble understanding- do you want green, or do you want blue-green? My island color is SW Pewter Green and I think it would look good with your cabinets and Agreeable Grey walls.

• Kate Horowitz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So we actually started with Pewter Green, Retreat and Acacia Haze. Pewter Green was way too dark for us against our black countertops (I think that’s been one of the biggest challenges) and as the sun sets during the day. Neither seemed right in our space so I ended up trying blues- but I’d really prefer something that pulls a little more green than blue. So I’ve gone up a shade lighter in most colors so there’s a better contrast to the countertops.

• Kate Horowitz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I saw a post using “evergreen fog” and am wondering if that’s another I should look into ... obviously one half of my kitchen gets some natural light and the other doesn’t.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Both Oyster Gray and Evergreen fog, are very green. On my monitor, I get a slight aqua tint from your wall paint which you said was agreeable gray. Its very hard to tell on a computer monitor, but, maybe get a sample of the oyster gray and evergreen fog, and see how they look. I prefer evergreen fog over oyster bay. If those dont work, then look for an aqua color, and give that a try. Your lighting looks a bit yellow toned, which can throw things off too. Maybe before you try anymore samples, you should replace all your light bulbs, with a daylight type led 4000K. Lighting makes a really huge difference in how paint looks.

• Kate Horowitz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ooooh the light suggestion is a good one! We don’t like a lot of overhead lights and installed dimmers everywhere, but the yellow hue of our bulbs could definitely be a part of the problem for sure. That may be why some of the colors I initially thought I’d like haven’t been working out ...

• cawaps
    3 years ago

Lack of light tends to pull everything darker and grayer, so I find that I need to choose colors that are less grayed in spaces like that to compensate. What about something like SW Dried Thyme, Wetlands, Getaway Green, or Farm to Table. All lighter and less gray than Pewter Green.

• Kate Horowitz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the color suggestions- I’ll look into them!

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• Marylee H
    3 years ago