Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leah_tapley

First home update - kitchen

Lucy
3 years ago

Hello! I am moving to a new house and need some help deciding what to do in the kitchen. I don’t like the yellowish tones in the cabinets. Should I paint them white? Should I stain them darker? If so, how dark? Should I consider two tone cabinets with dark on the bottom and white on top? I plan on painting the walls either warm white or pale greige. I’ve never lived anywhere with tile floors before, so I’m having a hard time imagining it all coming together. In an ideal world, I would get white quartz countertops and stainless appliances, but I don’t have the funds to do everything at once. Eventually I will make these changes though. Any ideas and opinions are welcome!

Stain dark espresso brown
Two tone
other
Paint white
Stain medium brown

Comments (10)

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I agree with the advice to live with them as they currently are. Don't feel you must rush in to make a change the minute you move in. You might end up seeing value in what you have, and be glad that you didn't make a change. You could always update the cabinet hardware, if you feel you must do something different right now.

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

I would paint the walls a color that you love. Get some great textiles in the space (roman shades on the windows, rug under the table, etc) and a big pot of flowers on the island. It will start to feel like home. Then, wait for quite a few months to see if it is worth additional small changes, or if a complete remodel is in order.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

may as well get a big area rug some sort of old wood farm table and chairs and use that dining zone. put a little stand over there for coffee maker. Start making meals and see how the kitchen works. seems like coming from hallway you might want to cut right into kitchen instead of around the bend in the peninsula. that is a whole redo. Thus the sentiment offered to WAIT has logical reasoning.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I, too, would paint. ASAP. IMO the problem isn't so much the cabinets, it's that wall color. I could see a soft light green color looking quite nice in there.

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You might want to try looking at images on here of cabinets that are the same wood tone to see what you could do to make them work. Below are some kitchen examples from designs of ours.

Alpine Ski Home · More Info

French Country Inspired Kitchen · More Info

• HU-278788126
    3 years ago

Check this article out. The author had the same problem and made updates without touching the cabinets for an awesome (and much cheaper) end result:

https://www.coppercornersart.com/ideas/2020/3/21/how-to-make-an-oak-kitchen-cool-

• daisiesandbutterflies
    3 years ago

I suggest switching to stainless appliances first. It will improve how everything else looks. Then paint the walls. Then decide what you want for everything else.

• M Miller
    3 years ago

Don't do espresso. It's dated, and also won't be a good fit in that space.

I would not spend time and money painting the cabinets. I'd save that money toward an entire kitchen redo when you have accumulated the funds. You would then install taller cabinets of 42" height, have them be frameless cabinets, new sink, counters, appliances, and lighting. I know - easy for me to recommend how you spend your money. I am only saying what would be the better solution in the long run.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

That kitchen is poorly laid out. Especially with no space between the sink and the stove. It has lots of wasted space that will be only good as dumping grounds. Do yourself a favor and live with it for 6 months-year while saving every dime you can to redo it later on.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES