Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghazzel

can I paint my cabinets white with this counter tops ?

ghazzel
3 years ago

Hi, I have always like white kitchen cabinets and we just moved in to this house. Don’t have a budget to redo whole kitchen but would like the cabinets to be painted with new hardware and backspace changed. Can we go with white cabinets and maybe a navy island with this warm granite ???
We have a big kitchen and island is about
100 x 60 inches wide.

Comments (27)

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is another photo angle. Excuse the mess since we are still moving in and my kitchen supplies are no joke !!!
    I ve always read great advice on other people design dilemmas but first time posting

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Live with it for 6 months to a year as is. The time and money to properly paint (think $7500+ if you hire out) these cabinets should be saved for if and when and if you decide the balance of the layout does not work for you and you want to redo the whole magilla.

• kempek01
    3 years ago

Definitely live with it for 6 months. The kitchen will tell you during that time if you need to redo the layout.

Painting those cabinets will difficult and/or expensive.

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the feedback, we do have someone skilled to do the job, I just need to decide if I should go for the white cabinets. The layout is fine since my old kitchen had same and familiar with it. I just can’t take all the brown in the kitchen, need some new touch to it

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    3 years ago

if you don't do it right you'll have a mess check with someone who does new doors that would be less painting and I'd do sample of white next to counter you might not like it

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Highly suggest changing the backsplash to pull in the white cabinetry and the warm tones in counter and floor. This will help pull the kitchen together, as just painting will be too much of a contrast I think.

Once you get settled, start looking at inspiration pictures with some similarities to your kitchen, before you decide. You could also consider just restating island to a softer color Vs adding another color into the mix

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Carol, I have thought about it but I do like the wood of the cabinets and they are in pretty good shape, don’t want to lose that and get something cheaper. I would definitely take advice of putting white sample around countertop to see how I like it

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I m open to any other color as well just not this brown color. The countertop has many variations of black/gray tones as well, any thoughts on it ?

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Maureen. Backsplash is definitely going. I like the pics you posted

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I agree, to wait the 6 months. You ideas could very well change. The countertop is fine, and white goes with everything, but, you may decide you want another color, or you may decide you really love the wood. You arent all moved in yet, so right now, you really dont know what you will like or not like. Do not do something in haste. I also like the black appliances, and I wouldnt be changing them. That may be just me though, because I dislike anything stainless steel.

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey Cat, thanks for input . I love the black appliances as well and the refrigerator and dishwasher come with us 😊. They are black stainless steel.
    I still have to change the cooktop and the microwave. We are here for about a week or so. I just don’t like this wood color and always wanted to have lighter cabinets. We r going toward changing the look of the house to modern/mid century modern and decided to start with kitchen since I haven’t set anything in cabinets or pantry, everything is still in boxes.

• Fori
    3 years ago

You have white trim in there, and on the (garage? pantry?) door adjacent. How does it look? Is that door (or another) easy enough to pull off and lean on your counter? Does that sound weird? It's not! Is it? My first color choice would be the trim color. At least see if that works.

Or bright clean yellow. :)

The cabinets--even as oak--are more MCM/modern than that counter and floor will ever be, and just painting them won't get you anywhere in that direction.

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Fori, the trim is white and good idea on door, we are changing the handles on all the doors and I might ask my husband to just take the door off to put it by counter. The flooring will come as next change in kitchen after the cabinets. I don’t have a budget to change the counter tops and new cabinets so going with painting them and changing few others things to get by until we can fully remodel the kitchen.

• jessniles
    3 years ago

I think you should go for it. Make sure you select a warm white and of course a new backsplash to pull it all together. Benjamin Moore’s white dove would be beautiful and read white even though it has a touch a cream to it.

• mvcanada
    3 years ago

I think creamy white cabinets if you are keeping the current tops.

What about black or charcoal for the island? That would pull out the black in the counters. Maybe black hardware on the cupboards as well.

For the backsplash, something soft and creamy as well. One you might consider is Bedrosians Cloe tile. It is variations of white and cream coloured tiles. It might work well in your space. They have a white and a cream version. This is the cream version.

I think you need to choose the colour for the cabinets first and then proceed with other choices from there.

Cloe 2.5" x 8" Wall Tile in White | Bedrosians Tile & Stone · More Info

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you mvcanada. I like the BM white dove. While searching it up, I see how the dark gray and charcoal will go for island cabinets. Any particular color name you can suggest for that dark gray/charcoal ?

• mvcanada
    3 years ago

I think my favourite is Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal HC 166. Now you need to get some samples but to me it reads just a little bit on the brown side of grey which may work well with your counters and a creamy white choice.

Here is Kendall Charcoal in a room that I think is just gorgeous.

benjamin moore kendall charcoal - Google Search · More Info

And here it is on the perimeter cupboards with a white island.

Dog crate space in closet - Google Search · More Info

You'll need to try it with your granite to see if the tones are right. If you go to a Benjamin Moore store, pick up some samples of several dark grey colours to see what will work best.

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you again. I am thinking more darker or intense color which would be more cooler. I would definitely get couple of samples to see how they will look with my counter. I think I m actually going to go with the cream/white dove cabinets and charcoal grey island with white/Creme backsplash. In the end if we decide that we have a budget to do something with the floors, which tone of wood flooring or wood like tiles will go with this color choice ??? I personally like dark grey oak floors but right next to kitchen is living and foyer with light bamboo floors!!!!

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Some pics of flooring next to kitchen. I m really struggling with how much brown tone is there.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

see if these pics help you. they are all painted white or a creamy white, and all have the similar granite color to yours.

some have used the travertine backsplash (Ivory Travertine) and others have gone w/more of a subway tile

I do like handles more than the knobs. you could bring in handles for your doors

both of these used travertine backsplash

this is a warmer, creamier white, and the backsplash is Walnut Travertine, in a Linear Bar Mosaic.

Cup Pulls are in ORB

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

Here is a white with SW Charcoal Blue island. Blues work well with your floor

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Beth and Melissa, these pics help me a lots.

• mvcanada
    3 years ago

Love those creamy whites Beth has shown.

If you're looking for a darker colour, how about BM Wrought Iron. Leaning black, rich looking but not too black.

benjamin moore wrought iron 2124-10 - Google Search · More Info

And here it is in a kitchen with White Down. Maybe a little creamier white than you were thinking, but this looks fantastic. I think both could work with your counters.

benjamin moore wrought iron 2124-10 - Google Search · More Info

I also like the ORB handles that were suggested.

A creamy coloured backsplash and it will look really great.

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Some really good suggestions, I will be going to get few samples of these color suggestions next week.
    One last piece of puzzle, I m thinking of changing the kitchen floor. Can I go for wood looking tiles next to those bamboo floors in living area ??? If not then what color or tone I can go there ?

• ghazzel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I feel like the only thing left in the kitchen that could tie the whole color scheme is really flooring. The only easy and economical solution is those click waterproof vinyl tiles I have seen and heard about. Anyone have any experience with those ?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I would not use wood-look tiles next to this floor.

what would look better is a 24x24 or larger porcelain tile
    (this one is actually terrazzo, but the colors are perfect)

Or, a dark tile

or natural black slate

Tilebar has a ton of large format porcelain tiles. grab some samples