Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_923772364

Hancock & More vs. Bradington Young?

Lexi Cooper
3 years ago

Our first choice was Restoration style leather sofas... unfortunately after reading reviews we decided that would be a big mistake. We need quality because we use our sofas daily... also have two spoiled cats that live on the sofas as much as we do. Now we’re looking at Bradington Young and Hancock & More. Unfortunately there’s a mixed bag of reviews about both of these companies as well. Several complaints about leather color rubbing off, springs coming lose and lack of customer service once something goes wrong. One review posted HM asked them to ship a sofa with a lose spring from TX to NC for warranty repair. Also looking at reclining chairs from these companies and have read several negative reviews about twisting frames. Any feedback would be appreciated because I would be devastated if we spent top dollar and purchased something of lesser quality. Unfortunately we only have a couple stores in our area that carry these brands and only have a handful of frames in on display In the stores. Looking at these two sofas and this reclining swivel chair in leather grade 1 or 2. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• Cindy Warren Fialka
    3 years ago

I’ve had three Bradington Young recliners and two Hancock and Moore (stationary) sofas. I’ve had no problems with any of them. Oh and one Hancock and Moore recliner is on its way to me. I don’t think you’d go wrong with either company.

Lexi Cooper thanked Cindy Warren Fialka
  • Lexi Cooper
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cindy, I’m glad you’ve had good luck! What grade leather do you have and did you get spring cushions?

• Cindy Warren Fialka
    3 years ago

Lexi one of my H & M sofas is a grade 2 unprotected leather. The other is a grade 1 protected leather. The Bradington Young recliner is a grade 1. New H & M recliner is a grade 1 and protected. Can’t recall the other recliners and their grades. (We sold one of them and will be selling the other) We got whatever the standard cushions are. :)

Lexi Cooper thanked Cindy Warren Fialka
  • PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    3 years ago

As a dealer for both brands (Hi, Cindy!) I am quite familiar with both and am one of the top sellers of Hancock and Moore. H&M is top tier, no one builds a better leather upholstery product in the USA. I wrote this comparison in April of 2020 on a forum I operate that compares the two:

"I recently brought in several pieces of Bradington Young into the showroom, to offer a less costly alternative to my main line of Hancock & Moore. I have been seeing some push-back on H&M pricing from consumers and wanted to expand and more selection of price-friendly items available. Now you know, I handle so much of this product that I can really spot the differences and I also key into them as others might not. We have moved all the new B-Y pieces into the showroom and and I didn't say much to my two part-time delivery men when we bringing it all in, other than "this piece goes here - that piece goes there". What interests me as I stood back a bit was their comments to one another, THEY noticed the differences. And to be clear, 90% of all the leather they are used to delivering is Hancock and Moore, not Bradington Young. First of all, I have trained them to develop a critical eye over the years (both have been with me twelve years now). They notice because I want them to - so they can know what they are delivering, what might have a flaw, and what may be a construction difference they may need to explain when at the customer's home. We are professional grade, and I want them to know their product. I was amused at their comments that they could readily notice the differences, too.

I don't consider Bradington Young to be a comparable product to Hancock and Moore. They are different categories, so if you hear some say "B-Y is the same, just cheaper to buy" well, its not. I would say on average its about 25% to 30% less in price and for some, they may be willing to give up features to get to that price. I understand and appreciate that. However, if you can tolerate the higher price of Hancock and Moore, it's a purchase you won't regret making over the years.

Frames: B-Y is all plywood, and not a particularly heavy grade of plywood. Their stationary frames are very light, which is why we take B-Y up the stairs to the second floor showroom, they're a lot easier to carry. Hancock and Moore is still solid hardwood frames on their stationary units, and you can feel it in the heft and lack of flex in the pieces. Your frame can never be too strong, by the way. Stiffer frame means less deterioration of suspension over the years of use, and that translates into a longer lifespan for dollars spent.

Padding: B-Y uses far less padding on their frames and of lighter densities. Pieces are not as "full" and you can feel the wood frame underneath the leather when you give it the pinch test or are merely handling the pieces.

Leathers: Here is where there really is no difference. B-Y has the same quality of hides as Hancock and Moore, though you have roughly three times as many choices as H&M.

Tailoring & Workmanship: Huge. Huge. Huge. Hancock and Moore is crafted. Bradington Young is assembled. With B-Y, I see minimum standards throughout the piece, and in some instances the workmanship is sloppy. From the sewing to attachment of the legs to how tight the leather is pulled. Big difference. There is pride in workmanship in a Hancock and Moore piece. A B-Y piece is a paycheck to the workers. It shows - you can tell.

This is not to belittle Bradington Young, because I am the dealer for the brand and wouldn't carry the line if it were substandard. They adhere to the same standards many makers in North Carolina do, it's the industry norm. The H&M pieces are exceptional however, and exceed those standards on everything that goes out the factory door. If comes down to the money at the end of the day, and if your budget will tolerate the difference. Just realize there is a difference when you go shopping and learn how to compare and what to look for."

Addressing your concerns on complaints:

Color Rubbing Off: Does not happen. All leather is sourced from vendors by manufacturing, and all the furniture makers buy them from the same suppliers. When there is color loss its due to lack of maintenance and/or UV damage from sunlight. All leather must be cleaned and conditioned properly on a regular basis or you will have issues. Here's a typical issue where the client failed to do so and blamed it on defective leather. The before and after restoration photos as well (client had to pay to get this corrected, this is not a warranty issue)

Springs coming loose: That has never happened to either brand in thirty years of selling thousands of pieces. They are both eight-way hand-tied in seating, and either four-way coil in the back or no-sag springs. If a string breaks there are seven more holding them down. Should it ever happen, they do warranty it, but I've never seen it occur.

Customer Service: Is handled through the selling dealer, not the maker. The dealer is the customer of the producer. You as the client are the customer of the selling dealer. Should you call direct to the factory, you may get a chilly reception as they all want you to work through any issues you may have with your selling dealer.

Returns: 95% of all returns to the factories are not warranty items. They are what the consumer THINKS is a warranty issue, however no workmanship defect actually exists. Returns are done for a variety of reasons, buyer's remorse, abuse of the pieces, failure to maintain the leather, I've even had customers photoshop a made-up problem areas on more than one occasion thinking if they return it they will get a new piece. Doesn't happen that way. If it's inspected and determined nothing is defective, then there is no work done to the piece and the customer has to pay return shipping or the piece is disposed of if they refuse. No company pays for you to return a piece, so that's on you to get it back to the factory or your selling dealer if a local buy.

Frames: Frames don't twist, but mechanisms do in motion units. All are caused by abuse or customer carelessness and I have seen plenty of twisted mechs. They are caused by people sitting on the footrest when the unit is reclined, or getting out of a recliner when its still open and not closed. It can be caused by teenagers horsing around in a recliner when its extended and frequently by people moving the recliners into tight thresholds by opening the recliners up and putting them on their sides to move them. Twisted mech? In most cases you can bend them back into position. If you have a broken mechanism, then its due to rivet shear and you have to replace the mechs. The two best mechanism makers in are Leggett and Platt, or Ultra-Mek. Both H&M and B-Y use only those two makers.

I have a H&M Woodbridge Recliner I bought in 1986 for personal use that is still on the original mechanism and the leather is in great shape, but I don't abuse my pieces and maintain the hides.

The Emilio sofa from H&M is terrific. It is superior to the B-Y Hanley in tailoring and foaming. Where you will really noticed the difference is in the arm padding and tightness of the leather pulled on the H&M product. they use quite a bit more foam on the arms than B-Y and you can feel the difference.

Duane Collie

keepingroom@gmail.com if I can help you with a purchase of either.

Lexi Cooper thanked The KEEPING ROOM
  • Lexi Cooper
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Duane! How I wish we lived closer to your location (we’re in FL) We only have two retailers, an hour’s drive in opposite directions, whom are more of a design center than a retail furniture store... they carry just a handful of H&M and BY items on the floor. It is very frustrating to not be able to sit-on and feel the sofas/chairs before we place our order. Do you think driving up to the Mall in Hickory would be helpful as far as seeing more of the inventory both companies offer? What is your opinion and experience with stationery vs swivel recliners? Thanks for sharing your professional expertise!

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    3 years ago

I do 80% of my sales long distance, so I can always assist in a H&M buy if you like. It's hard to say where the best place to see H&M near you might be, Robb and Stucky in Naples FL had several pieces on the floor last time I was there. Furnitureland South in High Point NC will have several on the floor - that place is huge - and Boyles is right across the street from them.

Swivel recliners are usually running on a Leggett & Platt ball bearing mechanism and those work well. Once in a while the bearings fall out on them, but they are not particularly hard to replace. I would definitely recommend a battery power unit on a swivel recliner and H&M's newer designs are better than the ones they have had in the line for years in that category.

• D V
    last year

What wonderful advice ! I was set on a Hancock and Moore leather sofa , but couldn’t find the style I wanted. I will be laying on it to watch tv and don’t typically like the traditional rolled arms. So I’s like the arms to be at least 6”. I’m looking at the BY Zion or Reddish. (Probably the Zion as the arms are rolled on the Reddish, although it’s a great sofa. And the Zion is a bit more transitional. The closest I could find in HM was the Donovan. But it was a little too modern. I love love love the kismet camel color in HM.