Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tara_dee02

Please HELP to modernize 2000's dining room furniture!!

Tara Dee
3 years ago

HELP!!! Looking for some advice. We have this early 2000's solid wood dining room set (same as first pic below only table is more oval) that was a wedding gift from my inlaws (one of whom has since passed) so has some sentimental value. I don't love love it, but it's so functional and in beautiful shape, we do not want to refinish or replace it at this time. Instead, I'd love some advice re: area rug, decor, wall decor/artwork, table runner, etc. to make it work.

Other info: we are currently in the middle of a pretty major main floor reno.

• Our main floor is a very open concept with several levels (2-3 steps apart).... so lots of white railing.
  • New kitchen cabinets will be warm white, counters white/grey granite, walls light grey/mushroom
  • Flooring will be light wood tone (second pic below)
  • I love indoor plants, so vibrant greenery seems to be my accent color of choice :)
  • Adjoining living room (just a white railing away) has fireplace with chunky dark walnut mantle and slate grey tiles.
  • Adjoining living room also has three antique side tables in very similar wood tone to the dining set (these could be refinished). Other furniture and area rug will be replaced with something new so possibility exists to coordinate there too.

Thanks so much for any assistance you can offer me! Really want to make things look right with our dining table and our gorgeous new kitchen. <3

Comments (22)

• olychick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It's too bad you won't consider refinishing or painting it. It's going
    to be difficult to have it look more modern or any different than what it is now, regardless of accessories.

I know these are different styles, just showing some color options that might update it nicely. Sorry I'm not any help otherwise; maybe others will have suggestions for leaving it as it is.

Tara Dee thanked olychick
  • arcy_gw
    3 years ago

Antiques lose their value when "updated", so I wouldn't' t worry about your set not being the newest color. Design your room and let this shine...for GENERATIONS couples lived with their one and only dining room set, style changed did not affect their love of their newlywed investment. It is ok for this to just be what it is!!

Tara Dee thanked arcy_gw
  • Arlene Warda
    3 years ago

Hi Tara, Some accents may be good

1) Add chair cushions with ties

2) Add an area rug underneath the same color as the cushions.

How about

1. A vibrant 'red' for area rug and cushions?

2. Or a green: maybe sage green..

A highlight as a pop of color will make this really stand out.

A real modern light fixture over the dining table may work. Take a look fir some. Good luck!

• jck910
    3 years ago

Unless, as suggested you are willing to refinish this set (either stain or paint) you are not going to modernize it. It is what it is an oak dining set, It is not an antique. And as is it will not go with your floors. Adding cushions and reds & greens are going to take it in a more country way.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I played around with some looks. Yellow and gray tones can work well together — it’ll mainly be a matter of having complimentary decor nearby. In other words, not just this oak set in a house sea of ultra mod grays and such, but incorporating cool and warm tones throughout.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I have the same style unfinished dining chairs. I painted my chairs in glossy black and got a modern abstract rug from Home Goods and modern black chandelier.

• olychick
    3 years ago

Not sure where anyone got the idea this was an antique. It's a repro of antique styles and is never going to have antique value. It could look more modern and fun - it will only enhance any value it might have by changing it from something that few people would be looking for currently, to something unique and more in style.

• Tara Dee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I am not opposed to refinishing it eventually, just can't make it happen now as I simply have no time to spare with three little kids in all kinds of sports and a big reno at home. Which is why I picked the flooring I like the most, the paint colors and kitchen I wanted, etc. regardless of the table. But for now, I still want it to look like it somewhat fits... I just need to work with it for now.

I have three small antique side tables of similar color in my living room (visible from dining room), but I completely recognize this dining set is no antique. As I mentioned, it was a wedding gift in early 2000's from parents who have passed and we won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

Sorry, thought I was pretty clear on all of that... Didn't mean to sound like I expected it to have monetary value... Rather more value to us on a personal level. Hope that makes sense...

• Tara Dee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

To add...

I have a pretty modern sputnik light picked out (not ordered yet) and a few ideas for area rugs, similar to Jinx's pic above.

I'm really just trying to neutralize the "tone" of the table... But I'm no designer by a long shot and was just hoping for some assistance in that regard.

• olychick
    3 years ago

Tara, yes, you were clear...it was another poster acting like it was going to ruin its antique value. Totally get not having time. If it were my table, making it work for right now, I would get some fun tablecloths, (easy care) and cover it. That will neutralize the color a lot. Just make sure they are plenty big, nothing skimpy and a more modern style, nothing lacy or old fashioned looking (which you probably wouldn't choose anyway). This site has some nice ones - you can use a rectangle cloth on an oval table. Tablecloths

Here are some to go with a sputnik light:

zazzle MCM tablecloths

You could also get a plain one and use interesting runners for a more modern look.

• Tara Dee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

👆 Some area rugs I've been thinking about

• kayozzy
    3 years ago

I love that flooring! What kind is it?

• Tara Dee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks!! Took me forever to find what I wanted. This one pictured is Mohawk Fulford laminate in Bone Hickory. The one I ordered is the same brand in Natural Hickory, but the photos online don't represent what it looks like in person. The Natural Hickory that I ordered looks exactly like the photo for the Bone Hickory. Sorry, that's awfully confusing... Hope that makes sense. 😁😁

• Tara Dee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jinx, I really appreciate those photos!! ❤️ Those are very similar to the ideas I've had in mind! I'm so happy to see them posted by someone here. Thank you.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

My pleasure! I think it’s going to turn out great, whatever you decide ... hope you’ll update us. I’ve seen a lot of people who want to work with these pretty tables, but there’s not a lot of info/pics out there for ideas. You might inspire someone else. :)

• yvonnecmartin
    3 years ago

From my viewpoint, this table and chairs look quite yellow compared with your other choices. Hence, I suggest that you incorporate this color into accessories in the adjoining rooms. For example, keep the wood tables in the living room that match. Then try to find a painting, a pair of vases, a couple of lamps, or some pillows that also incorporate something close to this yellow. Not too many, just one of the "or" choices.

• Tara Dee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thoughts on adding a big wall clock similar to this to the room? Think it would help or hinder my goal?

• SJ Allison
    last year

@Tara Dee I am considering the Fulford bone hickory flooring, but now am wondering if I should get the natural instead. Would you please post a photo of your flooring? Thanks so much!

• Tara Dee
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yes! Of all my photos, I think this one captures it's real tone the most accurately. I adore my floors, get a TON of compliments, and I'm seeing it surface in a lot of the home reno shows/decorators that I follow. To be clear, this is Natural Hickory - the Bone Hickory looks like this in photos but not in real life. So make sure you see samples first.

• SJ Allison
    last year

@Tara Dee Thanks so much! It's gorgeous!