Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abykatz22

Do little lime hydrangeas grow well in Gainesville Florida?

We will be moving to Florida soon and regret having to leave my beautiful little limes behind.

I’m hoping to be able to grow them on our property in Gainesville. Anyone have experience with them there?

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I do not remember seeing paniculatas but, when one of my aunts used to live in Ocala, I used to fly into Gainesville (GNV) and drive to Ocala to visit her. Throughout the years of visits, I saw hydrangea mopheads (she also had them planted in the ground) in her house in Ocala and I also saw hydrangea arborescens and oakleaf hydrangeas (not many; just a few) elsewhere in town.

Due to the sandy soil, sunlight and winds, the mopheads that she had in the ground required morning sun, year around organic mulch, lots of water, mixing organic compost with the local soil 50/50 when planting; putting a 1" layer or so of organic compost every Spring as well as fertilizing regularly almost all year (to deal with nutrient deficiencies). She did not do a soil test when moving there although I suggested it. My aunt's mopheads were in morning sun only.

For paniculatas, the University of Florida recommends a non-windy location with morning sun only.

https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/ornamentals/hydrangea.html

You could try growing them in pots/half wine barrels at first or always. I would not put them in full sun there though; morning sun only. Be ready to water them a lot if planted in the ground. Watering and the 'too well' draining sandy soil was the problem over there when planted in the ground. Hydrangeas went dormant quite late over there (January-ish) but I did not visit when they were leafing out so I am not sure when that happens (probably earlier than other places).

To see if they need water, insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 4" or so and water if the soil feels dry or almost dry. Hydrangea roots are shallow, tiny, fibrous and they typically grow down to 4" or so.

To see if they have enough water, water as usual, wait for the water to dry and then insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 8" or so in several spots to see if the soil feels dry somewhere. If it does feel dry somewhere, consider using more water.

PS -

If you decide to take them (and either grow in pots or in the ground), post an update in the future.

• Abykatz22 Gainesville, FL (9a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Luis. It breaks my heart to leave them. :( They have done so well for me here in N. GA. with almost no care. I get huge beautiful flower heads. Truly my favorite!

my DIL says she sees hydrangeas there but she doesn’t know the varieties. Guess I will just have to try. Life is an adventure!

if anyone knows more about hydrangea types that will grow in N Central FL, please chime in. Thanks!

• lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    3 years ago

Beautiful, Abykatz22! I love my Little Limes as well...a very floriferous, low maintenance shrub!

Abykatz22 Gainesville, FL (9a) thanked lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
  • stir_fryi SE Mich
    3 years ago

Love my little limes! I just wished they bloomed sooner (July in Michigan) -- so I could enjoy them longer.

• luis_pr
    3 years ago

The wholesalers heard you but did not exactly make Little Lime bloom earlier. Instead, they have this new version called Limelight Prime that blooms a tad earlier than Little Lime (but not as early like Quick Fire) but has stronger pinks tones after the white blooms start to fade. Here is more info:

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/hydrangea/limelight-prime-panicle-hydrangea-hydrangea-paniculata

• pennlake
    3 years ago

I pulled this out the copy on that website for Limelight prime and I do not know where that got that info from. Maybe a very cold, short season climate limelight doesn't bloom until then. Here in MN there is about a 6 week span from the start of the early to start of the late ones. Late June/early July through about mid-August. Limelight for me blooms about mid-July so right in the middle and slightly later than Little Lime. Have yet to assess Limelight Prime.

blooms much earlier, creating a longer display. This is especially valuable in colder climates, where 'Limelight' might not bloom until late August.