Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilamy111

60x30 alcove tub: Kohler Underscore or American Standard Studio?

lilamy111
3 years ago

I am trying to decide between the Kohler Underscore or the American Standard Studio tub. I like both of these because of the depths, which would allow for a good soak. If anybody has had experience---good or bad---with either of these tubs, or has any other recommendation, I would be grateful to hear from you! Unfortunately the dimensions must be exactly 60 x 30. Thank you!

Comments (12)

• AJCN
    3 years ago

I have the Kohler Underscore drop-in 36" x 60." I love it. Is this going to be a tub-only or will it be a tub/shower combo? The Underscore has a slanted back and lumbar support. If it's a tub/shower combo, you'd have to be careful not to step on the slanted/lumbar area. Our tub/shower combos have tubs that are not very slanty.

lilamy111 thanked AJCN
  • lilamy111
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you very much for your input. This is going to be a tub/shower combo. I am happy to have a slanted back so that I can relax and soak. I was worried that it may not be slanted enough, as I heard the American Standard tub has a little more of a slant than the Kohler. Is the non-slip surface comfortable enough to sit on? I like anti-slip for safety but I am worried about how it will feel when soaking....

• lilamy111
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would love to try these tubs but I cannot find anywhere around here in D.C. that has them on display, at least in these dimensions. I don't have a car, so its also harder for me to go far out to find a place to try them. Good to know about the texture of your AS alcove, and that it is not scratchy. Thank you also for your advice about getting the one with the most flat surface area, I had not really thought about that!

• Angie Gass
    3 years ago

Kohler in rockville md area has the underscore on display alcove. I just looked at the other day. Baltimore also has drop in versions of both the archer and underscore

lilamy111 thanked Angie Gass
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO if you like to soak then get a slanted back .

lilamy111 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • AJCN
    3 years ago

Maybe you can borrow a friend's car or Uber to Rockville so you can see the Underscore. I don't think the metro gets you close at all to Rockville. There's a bus but it takes about an hour.

The slanted back and lumbar of the Underscore is really comfortable. I was never a bath person, and we only put it in during our remodel because it's so-called "required" for resale in our neighborhood, and we had plenty of room so there was no reason not to. I NEVER used the tub that was there before, in 18 years. But now I'm a semi-bath-person, using the tub a few times a month. It's great.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

Maybe you can borrow a friend's car or Uber to Rockville so you can see the Underscore. I don't think the metro gets you close at all to Rockville. There's a bus but it takes about an hour.

The slanted back and lumbar of the Underscore is really comfortable. I was never a bath person, and we only put it in during our remodel because it's so-called "required" for resale in our neighborhood, and we had plenty of room so there was no reason not to. I NEVER used the tub that was there before, in 18 years. But now I'm a semi-bath-person, using the tub a few times a month. It's great.

lilamy111 thanked AJCN
  • lilamy111
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you....I was thinking of trying to find a way to trek out to Rockville but I think it is probably best to just go with my instinct and go for the Underscore. It is going to be complicated to get out there. I have been looking again at the Kohler Archer (which I initially eliminated because of lots of reviews complaining of creaking sounds from that tub) but I probably will just go with Underscore, especially since you say that the slanted back is comfortable. I can't tell you how helpful it is to hear from you and the others who commented on my post. Thank you so much!

• wdccruise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You can take the Red Line to Shady Grove and Ride On bus the rest of the way to Fergusons.

lilamy111 thanked wdccruise
  • HU-238056105
    2 years ago

I'm deciding between these two tubs as well! For me, durability is most important so I'm trying to figure out which is less likely to crack, chip, or stain. Which tub did you end up going for?

• beachbell5
    2 years ago

Me too. I'd love to hear your decision and review.