Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abc1971

Aluminet shade fabric for desert gardening

abc1971
3 years ago

Hello, all.

I recently moved to the Palm Springs Coachella Valley area and I wanted to get some input on shade fabrics to help me keep my plants from burning. This is my first time living in the desert. I am a bit alarmed by how much I love it here and love the heat. While most locals here stay inside I'm working out in the garden when it's 110 degrees with no problem. I just drink lots of fluids.

I have some succulents that I bought from Lowe's in the area and I also have some that I brought with me. Oddly, the ones I bought locally here from Lowe's got a little scorched. The ones I brought with me are doing okay. But it might have to do with planting them in October. Whereas the succulents I bought from Lowe's I planted in July.

This brings me to my first question; Is shade fabric necessary during the winter here in the Coachella Valley area? I was wondering if I could get away with only using it during the summer months and then take it down throughout the winter and spring to prolong the life of the fabric. They're not made to last indefinitely so I'm wondering if this would help preserve the fabric.

Also would like to get some input from people here who have used Aluminet or similar shade fabrics and wondered how it worked for them.

By the way, the plants I'm trying to provide some protection for will be a combination of plants planted in the ground and others will be in large planters.

Lastly, I wanted to know what percentage of blockage I should get for succulents and sun loving plants that would otherwise burn up in direct sun in the desert. I've been combing the internet for answers and can't seem to find consistent advice. I was thinking I'd go with 40% shade blockage.

Comment (1)