Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

SF bay area feijoas--are they ripening NOW?

Fori
3 years ago

It's been so long since we had a decent crop (and the weather's been so weird that precedent might be meaningless) that I don't know if these things are ready. Some nice sized ones are dropping now. Might they be ripe this early or did a burly rodent knock them all loose?

Is anyone harvesting them now?

I'm in the east bay, tri-city area.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    The Logician LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Feijoas generally ripen 4 or 5 months after bloom. Here in Portland, peak bloom in July and ripen in November. In the Bay area, they probably bloom several weeks earlier.

Mine are just starting to drop up here.

If they are the consistency of a pencil eraser when squeezed, they are ready to eat. If they readily give, almost squishy when squeezed, they are over-ripe. If rock hard, then underripe.

When sliced, ripe when there is some gelatinous interior. Underripe when none. Overripe when interior starting to brown or have small voids.

If the fruit comes off the bush in hand when bent sideways, most likely it is ripe.

Fori thanked The Logician LLC
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! For some reason I though they were later, but it's been so long... :)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    3 years ago

My brother once had a hedge of that in Newark. It gave bushel fulls of minty Guavas...I liked to add some cool whip and some sugar.

My tropical yellow Guava has been giving bowls. My Pink just didn't get enough water from me..it was so hot,these water thirsty plants are hard to satisfy. I see only a few on it.

I'm thinking of removing it next year. Like banana..results aren't worth the huge extra amount of water.

Fori thanked stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Luckily this tree doesn't need much from us. Some landscapers did give it an ugly pruning though...

I never thought of this as being hedging material but now I am. My only experience is with this tree which is decidedly a tree. It came with the house and I wouldn't be surprised if it's 40+ years old. I'm currently redoing much of my front yard and could use a nice shrub or two. The feijoa is kind of pretty and popular with the wildlife.

• PRO
    The Logician LLC
    3 years ago

Some feijoa cultivars have a naturally bushy, acute-angled branching habit and some are open and sprawling. Pinching off new growth at a foot or less can keep the plant bushier.

Fori thanked The Logician LLC
    3 years ago

He sheared it into a big square. It still gave pounds of fruit.

Fori thanked stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm tempted. Anything that I can't kill is A Good Plant.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    3 years ago

The flowers are delicious.

Fori thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • Sara Malone Zone 9b
    3 years ago

I went out and looked at mine. Almost ripe. Just starting to fall. They are generally in sync with the persimmons and the figs. I eat breakfast al fresco, browsing from tree to tree. :-)

Fori thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    3 years ago

Our tropical yellow guavas, have been done for several weeks now. The strawberry guavas got turned into wine yesterday. Our feioja's aren't quite ready yet. On the central coast, it is usually closer to December than October. Our neighbors two doors down have a hedge of feoija planted by the prior owners. It is quite attractive and they hadn't realized that the fruit was edible.

Fori thanked Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
  • otcay
    3 years ago

Fruits have been dropping. A good snack.

3 years ago

Just about the end of small bowls of the yellow guava's. Like the kind at the market they now sell. The wife likes them. I can take them or leave them. At least easy to grow.