Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Favorite Yellow Daylilies of 2020

shive
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Post your favorite yellow to gold daylilies of the season here. The next color will be corals. This can be coral pink, coral rose, coral red or coral orange

Some of my favorite yellows from last season:

Mystic Maize

Empire of Desire

From This Moment On

Bill Norris

Miss Goldie Gold Digger

Sweeten Creek

Victorian Garden Emerald Breeze

Seedling Destined to See x Back Scratcher seedling #3 - This is the one with the green overlay in the mornings and 41 buds.

Yellows are my least favorite - mainly because they are so hard to photograph well. I think that's why I've never added many, and the golds tend to be my favorites.

Debra

Comments (33)

• celeste/NH
    3 years ago

PLANET CLAIRE

MOLDOVAN UNREGISTERED SEEDLING

WIND SONG

CHEDDAR CHEESE

SIMPLICITY IN MOTION

YAZOO ELSIE HINTSON

• celeste/NH
    3 years ago

SECOND SET.......

MARTHA LOWRY

SOLAR MUSIC

TIDEWATER ELF

YELLOW MONKEY

LONG TALL BLONDE

BUTTERED POPCORN

• celeste/NH
    3 years ago

LAST SET!

BANANA CREAM BEAUTY

MYNELLE'S STARFISH

SILOAM HAROLD FLICKINGER

PINHILL TALL GODDESS

SUN TEMPLE SPIRIT

EMMA'S GREEN GIANT

I WAS GOING TO ADD 'CAPACITY FOR WONDER' BUT IT FITS INTO THE POLYCHROME CATEGORY. IT'S ALSO A GREAT YELLOW.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Debra, my favorites of yours are Mystic Maize (love the shape), your Destined to See seedling (gotta love that performance) and VG Emerald Breeze. Celeste I really like your Moldovan seedling and Martha Lowry.

Brocaded Gown, I love the delicate beauty in this oldie.
    Ciel d’Or has a look at me color.I finally managed to capture the subtle marking on this great performer.
    Coyote Moon had its second season here, what a performance I had! It was tops in bud count and rebloomed for me.
    El Desperado does well in a less than ideal spot.
    Get R Done, what a nice surprise this daylily has been in its short time here, Good increase here.
    Olfactory Evidence is new here, what a lovely really late bloomer.
    Mary Todd, the first daylily I purchased in 1993. Can’t begin to tell you how many times it’s been divided, such a great performer and grower.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Yellow is my favorite color. I've trialed more yellows then any other color. All of the ones posted above shine for me in one way or the other..........Debra: Your pictures of Miss Goldie Gold Digger wows me. I still am not crazy about most of the floppy misshappen (as I see them) UF type single blooms but when there are a flush of blooms, as in your picture, all can be forgiven. Miss Goldie has a color I really like and I'll show mine later (even if it's not a mass of blooms as yours is). Victorian Garden Emerald Breeze just drips with ruffles. Luscious..............Celeste: In a similar vein, Yellow Monkey, despite being another UF, has always caught my eye. It's a cheeky little monkey alright. Planet Claire is always one of my favorite yellows of yours......Sherry: I grew Brocaded Gown many years ago. A friend saw it and since I was cutting back I passed it on. I really wanted to keep it, and still remember how much I liked it..........I'll post mine in a bit. My cat woke me up early this morning and I'm running on 5 hours sleep with tons of things to get done today. An early nap sounds good to me about now..........Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

I'll start with my 2 UF's and then put others in the comment section:

Miss Debra the enabler (with both pictures and daylilies) "forced" me to try this UF.

The color is a nice warm golden yellow (I like that) and although it hasn't produced any big flushes yet, she's still young. Color holds pretty well in 90+ degree heat, but does suffer some. I'd say protection from hot afternoon sun would suit her best.

Miss Goldie Gold Digger:

Not enough experience with this yet to say if it's a better performer then Miss Goldie Gold Digger, but I liked the single bloom form better. I think the sun tolerance may end up being about the same but we will see.

Working Overtime:

Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

Lovely yellows. We grow lots of yellows and Tidewater Elf and Bill Norris are two of our best. I won Tidewater Elf on a bus tour at a Region 2 summer meeting and didn't really think that I would like it. It is a wonderful grower with great increase and lots of blooms. It will stay in our garden.

Bob and I have gotten into tall and small diploids and Toy Trumpets is a nice one. It is registered at only 33 inches but for the size of the flower that's pretty tall compared to many.

Itsy Bitsy Spider is another tall and small.

Green Arrow has a really green throat. This one was just planted in 2019.

One Above You is a big flower on a tall scape. Bob loves these tall ones including Sears Tower, Big Bird's Friend, Notify Ground Crew. I just wish some of them were another color.

I'd better not press my luck. More to come . . .

3 years ago

Forestlake Briar Patch has some pink or peach shadings (I guess it's really a polychrome). It's one of my favorite Forestlakes. The flower is on the small side and in our garden, it's much taller than its published stats. It will set seed too. We haven't seen flowers form any seedlings yet, but I think I have some that should bloom next year.

Umbrella Cockatoo is a pretty big flower.

Ruckus is a yellow with some of those 'rusty' tones. I prefer my yellows without the rust, but Bob likes them.

Here's our Tidewater Elf. More to come . . .

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Well, my next batch disappeared, so I'll try again later. What a lot of work down the drain........Maryl

3 years ago

Here are some of our yellow seedlings. We don't breed intentionally for yellow, but it seems to be such a dominate color that it shows up regularly.

I was hoping for anything other than yellow when I crossed Ancient Elf (a tall small-flowered tetraploid) with My Little Tea Set. We have a lot of siblings to this cross, but not many bloomed this past season. The frost damaged the seedlings and we got less bloom that we usually do.

Belle of Ashwood X Horns is a big husky plant. It could be a future introduction.

Love All Serve All X Wolverine is really more of a polychrome I like the big green throat. I am sure this one will be selected for further observation.

This is Merry Moppet X Ruffled Nuggets. It didn't get any color from Merry Moppet, which has a red eye and edge.

That's it for me.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Nan: I really like two of your seedlings: Belle x Horns and MerryXRuffled..........Look forward to hearing their progress next year. They look like a nice shade of golden yellow.........Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Try posting again............Everyone knows that I pay special attention to how colorfast/sunfast a daylily is. I want a DAYlily, not an Hour Lily. In our summer heat, it can be challenging to grow one that measures up.

A new one I trialed this year unfortunately failed. Bob Selman grows in a milder climate then mine, so he probably doesn't have the same temperature issues that I do when he hybridizes.

This is Crocodile Tears at 84 degrees:

This is Crocodile Tears at 97 degrees:

On the other hand this is Stroke of Brilliance at the same high temperature in the afternoon:

And a more yellow yellow holding up just fine in the sun.

Lisa Apps Sybrandt:

Better quit for now.............Maryl

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Oh, oh, oh!!! I feel like that Carrie Underwood football intro song: Waiting All Day for Sunday Night!!! I have been waiting for my favorite yellows!! (Maryl and I can tag team on this color!!)

Let me comment first and then try to post. There are so many wonderful yellows on here-Debra, I always like Empire of Desire and Sweeten Creek; Celeste, Planet Claire and Emma’s Green Giant are great. Your Yazoo Elsie Hinton is so much darker than mine-just beautiful. Maryl-I hope you get to post the rest of yours! I know you have lovelies. I like the combination of the purple with Miss Goldie Golddigger. Nancy-your Love All Serve All seedling is gorgeous and Forestlake Briar Patch really stands out. Your other seedlings are so pretty as well. Sherry, I totally agree about Brocaded Gown. It is one you always know when you see it. Olfactory Evidence looks lovely! Oh my, yellow makes me smile!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

As a yellow aficionado I have my preferences. I prefer sunshine yellow, warm yellow and golden yellow. I don't care for lemon yellow or Gold (Bill Norris for instance). Paler yellows fall somewhere in between.

My palest is

Buzz Saw:

Sour Puss is a changling. It's a polychrome, Lime yellow, pale yellow, peachy yellow or a mix of all the above at times with a lime green throat thrown in for balance. I love it.

Sour Puss:

This one took me awhile to find the right amount of sun for it, but it was worth it.

Spacecoast Irish Illumination:

Another yellow that's very good in our heat. It blooms on tall scapes even in a pot.

Googies:

There are some yellows I miss in my ever shrinking collection and I hope someone will post a picture of them. Mary Todd comes to mind. Such a great trumpet shaped bloom.................Maryl

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Debra, Empire of Desire is my fav of yours for a round ruffley, i love Ufs and Miss Goldy Gold Digger fits that. Bill Norris usually does well here.

Celeste, I like your Long Tall Blonde and Emma's Green Giant.

Sherry, I love your Get R Done, mine was not doing too well, in a bit of shade so I moved it this fall.

F. Briar Patch is my favorite of yours, Nancy, but I like Ruckus and your seedlings look really good

Maryl, Sour Puss and Googies look really good!

I will try to post my pictures tomorrow, Houzz does not seem to like me right now

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Kate: Time to strut your (our) stuff. Bring on your yellows...........Maryl

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

I will give this a try...not a good sign if Nancy cannot post.

New this year

Sarah Christine-also new thanks to Mantis-not bad for first year!

My beautiful yellow noid

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Yellow Mammoth

Ben Bachman

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Hernando Star

Substantial Evidence-this is still the form closest to my heart!

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

My yellow collection also shrinks. Here's what I like of yours that could induce me to grow it a little:

Debra: Victorian Garden Emerald Breeze. Such an interesting ruffled bloom. Mystic Maize.

Celeste: Simplicity in Motion. Love the form and nice yellow color.

Emma's Green Giant. Love the form and I do like green-yellow daylilies

That's a nice clump of Martha Lowry.

Sherry: My Ciel D'or is a great bloomer too, but it doesn't show as much markings as yours.

Nancy: I've always had my eye on Green Arrow for form and green-yellow color.

Maryl- Sour Puss is quite interesting, form and color.

Claws had it's best year in a long time.

Desert Icicle. Not many buds but nice.

gold noid

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Hyperion, best scented

noid

Olallie Autumn Gold. very late, same people that do the VTs, but this is registered.

Sears Tower

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Siloam Amazing Grace, a favorite. Not always this green

Spider Miracle. a beauty but needs more buds.

Sun KIng

True Gertrude Demerest

I'll quit with this. Only actually have one or two more I think.

Brad

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Sorry, there are so many-trying to filter them!

Early Shift-amazing due to size alone

Yazoo Elsie Hintson-paler showing than Celeste’s (first her purples are more intense, now her yellows may be, too?!!! Unfair!!)

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Yellow overload!! Maryl, I love Sour Puss and Spacecoast Irish Illumination does illuminate! Brad, your gold noid clump is fabulous!! I wasn’t going to post more but...well you know, it is yellow, after all!!

Brutus-older late blooming-does have that bronze overlay

Willa Mae Thornton

Omomuki

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Kate, I am drooling over Substantial Evidence! What a simple delicate beauty, I love it !

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Sherry: Just a quick aside. Here I was longing for a picture of Mary Todd and somehow I missed yours. Thank you. Feel free to post it next year too. I do miss it..........Maryl

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Sherry, have you looked at Substantial Evidence in the database? It is amazing how many different looks this flower has. I will be interested to see what it looks like next year!!! May be entirely different....Kate

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Brad: I like the color and the fact that it's a late on Olallie Autumn Gold. It goes on my long list...............Kate: So many yellows. How can I not like a yellow daylily that has Ruffled (Perfection) in the name. Substantial Evidence is another one that is intriguing. I like the wide open flat petal look. The color change could be interesting. Rather like Sour Puss. Hummm........Maryl

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

OK, I just went back through my photos and daylily list and I do have an embarrassment of yellows, I admit. Here are some of the ones I (thankfully for all of you!!!) did not post: Brocaded Gown, Bubbles Galore, Monkey Giggles, Siloam Amazing Grace (like Brad, one of my faves), Siloam Breeze, Spring Willow Song, Hope Diamond, Buttered Popcorn, Mary Todd, Sunday Sunshine, Sherry Lane Carr, Planet Claire, Heavenly Yellow Lion, Yellow Monkey, Sqidward Tentacles, Christmas Mimosas, Googies (due to enabler Maryl), Mister Butters, Bonnie Holly, Dilemma, Evelyn Kloeris, Moment in the Sun, Painted Softly, Banana Moon, Blonde is Beautiful, Omega Supreme, Concrete Blond, Childhood Treasure, Floyd Cove, Shaman, and Solar Music.

Remember I have lots of acreage so I don't have to cull and some of these are older while some are newer ones. This list does not include my very first purchases which were of course mainly yellow!! I also have many yellow noids I inherited through my legacy gardens. Whew!! I don't suppose I need to remind anyone how much yellows make me smile!!!

Kate

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for posting your yellows. So many pretty ones!

Debra

• celeste/NH
    3 years ago

I found a few more for our yellow lovers:

ERIN LEA

REACH FOR THE HEAVENS

UNBROKEN PRAISE

CREEPY CRAWLER

BIG BIRDS FRIEND

OLD FRIENDS

P.S......

This one is NOT one of mine but I wish it was. It is in a friend's garden (Cameron Stern). An amazing clump.

WIGGLY PIGGLY

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Love! I forgot about Old Friends. Although mine has more of a peachy color. I don’t remember you posting Reach for the Heavens or Unbroken Praise in the past. And that is one impressive clump of Wiggly Piggly. These make my heart sing!!! :)

• celeste/NH
    3 years ago

Kate, I was thinking Old Friends would be better posted on the polychrome thread. This year on account of our severe drought it was more yellow than peach-toned. It seemed washed out. When we have plenty of rain it is a lovely peachy color. I don't always post everything I grow and in fact, some get overlooked if they are far away in one of my neglected beds:) I have way too many to keep track of:) I like your Substantial Evidence. I grow Lights of Detroit which is a parent of it and has that form and flat face but it doesn't have many buds. I have resisted getting rid of it because I love that look. I hope SE is better budded for you.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio