Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_152579871

Circles and squares in the shower?

Shmoo
3 years ago

I have a cool mosaic tile [7\8“] that I want to use in my guest bathroom. I’d like to put it in the shower niche as well as up the wall behind the mirror to the ceiling. I have enough tile to do both. This mosaic is not approved for shower floor. I found a very complementary penny tile for floor of the shower, which will have creamy white porcelain tile everywhere except the horizontal niche.

My decorator thinks it’s bad to mix circles and squares. The shower floor would be the only use of this Penny tile, I do not want to use it in the niche. She suggests finding a different floor tile. The blue is tough to match so I’d end up with something white that matches the shower wall tile.

Thoughts?

Comments (23)

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

The two appear to compete. I'd choose white for the flooring and niche to match the walls - and if it were me, I'd choose the penny tiles for the floor and behind the vanity.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO shower niches are no place to add a decorative tile who wants to high light shampoo bottles . In fact I never design shower niches for clients. I like a vertical strip in a shower for an accent IMO a much better idea that behind a mirror. I also like the same floor as shower walls 12 x24 porcelain with a matching fllor tile just smaller. I agree those 2 fight eachother and I do not see a creamy white working with those tiles at all.

• PRO
    Altair
    3 years ago

No penny rounds, terrible for cleaning.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Patricia you must have your head in the sand. Look on Pinterest to see how many people out a nice trim in the niche area. I really don’t like the vertical stripe of trim at all

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Penny tile has A LOT of grout, so keep that in mind. It is often used for the floor and inside the niche. However your squares and rounds don’t go well together. Choose a penny tile that complements the wall tile and keep it to two choices.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Circle and square can work. But I think these are too similar and busy. Aim for something simplistic on the floor

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Or walls ;(

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Oops!! ;)))))

• Molly D. Zone4B
    3 years ago

I used it for shower floor and backsplash. (Picture is yellowy-not accurate color)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Unglazed mosaic for the floor.

Shmoo thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

We used small porcelain squares for shower floor, I wanted something dark and not too busy to go with mosaic in the niche. So the bottom is the color of the grey/blue solid piece but it’s in 2 x 2 squares for easier installation. Beth H: gorgeous bathroom!!

Shmoo thanked Kathy Furt
  • Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

OP, the way I am reading it you already own the square decorative tile, which cannot go on the floor, right? You are going to use it in the larger horizontal niche and behind the vanity, covering the wall. Do I have this right? You simply want to know if the penny tile will go with this and your wall tile.

Question for you....the penny tiles you are showing, are they two different color samples? If yes, which ones are you using? Q2...What is the shiny gray? Counter? Will it be on the curb?

Shmoo thanked Nancy in Mich
  • Shmoo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Nancy. Yes we own the square tiles, bought a close out so there’s no more matching options. . The gray above is someone else’s !pi

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Schmidt it’s mine

• Shmoo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And yes, Nancy you are correct. It looks like my designer is recommending a different look for the floor and wall of the shower instead of the penny. I’m attaching a photo, it include the mosaic I love and already own, the very funky floor we picked for this small space (everything else in the place is pretty neutral) and the proposed shower tile.

I don’t mind the shower tile but it doesn’t excite me. I wonder if the movement in the shower tile will detract from the cool floor tile.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

I like the more subtle swirly gray and white for the walls. It carries the same feeling as your very cool floor tile but does not compete with it. The only problem with it is that now the accent tiles seem out of place with their squares, but it is hard to say, for sure. I just may not like the accent tiles with the floor. Not being a designer, my opinion is just a gut reaction of someone sensitive to colors and patterns.

• Tara
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Not a pro. and this will probably make everyone's eyes roll. I like your tile. together. But I wouldn't use white to go with it. I'd pick a solid color that is in your tile like that beigey color or light blue. I like the play of squares and circles together. But I have a quirky style, even in clothing and earrings. And I like my bathroom (and kitchen for that matter) to stimulate me, not soothe me, as I need an extra energy boost in the morning getting ready!

Shmoo thanked Tara
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I like your square mosaic tile. is that going on the floor of the shower?

are you trying to pick wall tiles for the shower or go with a diff combo altogether?

what is a much have for you?

Shmoo thanked Beth H. :
  • Shmoo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all. We’ve decided to go with a cream or beige in the shower (wall and floor) that’ll work with the swirly floor tile. Beth, the mosaic is not “floor approve” so it is going in the shower niche and on the wall above the sink (around the mirror, whatever that ends up being lol) to the ceiling. I Really like the mosaic, it’s very different from anything I’ve ever used. Tara, I’m with you, I kind of don’t care what the rules say, just want to like it for me. IF we’d done the Penny tile on shower floor I’d do a round mirror over the sink! But likely not going that way.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

That’s the wildest looking tile I’ve ever seen!!

• lindacottonwood
    3 years ago

I like the funky tile but be sure to get a box and lay them out. Live with it for awhile since it is busy to make sure you still love it in a larger setting. You will be tied to that when decorating.

Shmoo thanked lindacottonwood
  • Shmoo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lindacottonwood, it’s actually going into a pretty small space. But I appreciate the suggestion.