Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rfharmon

Small toilet and Sink recommendation needed

rfharmon
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I just realized that my electrician put the opening for my bathroom light in the wrong place. they centered the light at 16 inches, although I planned for a 24” sink. Does anyone have any sink suggestions that would still make this bathroom functional and beautiful? I was aiming for a minimalist mid-century modern vibe.

I bought this the Galba wall hugging toilet That’s 24inches deep. My shower Is 48 inches wide... this was the shortest depth toilet that I could find online that wasn‘t a smart toilet. Does anyone know or a smaller, non-electric toilet?

I had bought this ikea sink:

here are the bathroom dimensions:

this was my original design inspiration picture

Upstairs Guest Bathoom (final) · More Info

Comments (24)

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just saw this is a magazine and maybe it would work for me to center the sink on the 30” inches available Like this:

big difference is that I only have one light available... I also afraid of crowding the toilet. There doesn’t seem to be a shortage of problems in my reno. please help! 😌

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is there any world that I can keep my vanity right aligned and just find a light fixture that doesn’t accent the incorrect spacing problem?

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Excuse the many manic posts but I’m freaking out another problem. I’m thinking it might might the most sense to just get a 30” sink b/c i don’t want to crowd the toilet and I think centering the sink would be the wrong look for this bathroom— it would make it unnecessarily busy/fussy.

If anyone has any recommendations for one that works in my space. Please let me know.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Have you checked the building code and your dimensions? You need at least 4" between the sink and the wall, 15" from the centerline of the toilet and the wall/sink and 24" in front of the shower.

Hoping someone can check my math, but 16" sounds correct for centering on a 24" sink. Your electrician has to build to code, or it fails inspection and he has to re-do it.

rfharmon thanked latifolia
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@latifolia, we check and we are barely meeting codes but meeting them — which is why I downsized my toilet to a wall hugger toilet to ensure the 24” walkway into the shower and I’m open to smaller toilet options.

About the vanity, are you saying that it can’t touch the wall like in my drawing or that the actual sink just needs to be 4” of the wall? I think your saying the latter but I drew a picture of the former to ensure that I comprehend what you are communicating.

I think my problem is that the light is not centered on 16’’ it’s starts at 16” and is centered at 17”, which is why I think I need a 30" vanity. Would you be so kind to explain this to me... I'm so confused.

This is a picture of the light opening , showing the proportion to the wall

• catbuilder
    3 years ago

The electrician did it correctly. The center of the sink needs to be a minimum of 15" from the side wall.

rfharmon thanked catbuilder
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@User your diagram is immensely better than mine, thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Now, I understand my choices are between a 24" wall mounted sink/vanity (4 inches from the wall) or a 30'" vanity/sink that touch the wall. Would anyone like to tell me if they have a preference for either?

I’m thinking 30” vanity with 24” mirror But I honestly no longer trust my choices... I feel like I’ve made so many mistakes recently. 😌

I have found the following options:

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

Built in vanities have more storage and are easier to clean. No awkward open spaces to try to dust.

rfharmon thanked User
  • Carrie B
    3 years ago

Definitely30".

rfharmon thanked Carrie B
  • latifolia
    3 years ago

Maybe an expert can say if your original choice is a "sink" or a vanity top; probably could be argued either way. Before you order a new one, have you measured how far the 30" vanity would be from the toilet? You need 15" from the center of the toilet to the vanity.

rfharmon thanked latifolia
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is a a good point. I only have 30.5” inches to play with so it will be taut.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

many thanks for everyone’s help! I’m so grateful that you all helped to qualm my anxiety before i spoke to the electrician and helped me think through the design . Thanks!

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

latifolia, thank you for this advice. I will remeasure tomorrow morning and before buying anything more.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :, after your amazing inspirational pics, I went shopping for vanities and mirrors today. I told the sales rep at Fergusons that I wanted to do a 30" vanity with a 30" mirror on top and she advised me to reduce the sized of the mirror to ~24. She said that when the vanity is pushed into the corner, she thinks it's best to have smaller widths(s) of the mirror and/or light.

May you be so kind as to share your opinion on this topic.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I bought 2 30’’ white oak vanities online but when they arrived they are both mdf.

This one looks more modern but I think it’s really yellow. I also like that this one has mdf board inside of the drawer.

This one looks more traditional white oak but it has plastic inside of the drawers (which could be a blessing and curse for kids).

These were the only 2 vanities that I found less than $800 in stock. Do y’all like either of these or should I just start over? To note, this would be the only mdf cabinet inside of our new home and it’s inside of this guest bath with the grey concrete walls and white subway shower.

These are my floors:

this is the bathroom, in question:

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey guys, I’m back with one more question about how to accommodate for the spacing of this vanity... would you be so kind as to share your thoughts on the right size mirror for this bathroom? The light fixture is centered at 17.5 and the rang is 15.5 to 19.5 from the right wall.

I bought a 30’‘ vanity, per y’all suggestions And would love to any advice anyone has to share.

please note, the floating vanity has not been installed yet and will be installed flush against the right wall.

here is 24” centered on the light

here is 26” centered on the light.

here is 28” centered on the light.

here is 30” pushed against the wall

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : i just reprocessed your statement above again for the 2nd and just realized that you tried to save me this anguish that I just experienced (buying hella different size mirrors and taking pictures), months in advance. thanks you and excuse me for getting in my own way!

I did see that you suggested rectangular mirrors and for some reason, I was thinking round. just wondering, does seeing circle change your mind About circle or round?

also, now that we have a visual for sizing, do you care more for 24” or 30”?

I will have to rebuy mirrors eithwr way, Since I want a black metal mirror in this bathroom (not wood or gold) so please feel free to be candid.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

oh your poor husband! lol.

I like the round. I think it's hung too high where he has it in the pic. (you need to see more than just your neck and face!) maybe the 28 or the 30"

I did this one last year for someone. He bought the vanity and the mirror.

this is a 36" vanity. so the mirror is prob 28-ish?

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi @Beth H. :, He's been a trouper during this process. He thought it would be funny to strike different posed for the different size picture, lol.

I'll lower the mirror and I'm not sure why but my analytical brain keeps turning this into a mathematical equation. Nonetheless, since my light is center at 17.5", a 28" mirror would leave me 2.5" inches on the right side of the mirror, a 26" mirror would lead me with 4.5 inches on the right side of the mirror and a 24" mirror would leave me with 5.5.inches on the right side of the mirror.

In the picture above you seem to have a lot of space on both sides of your mirror, I'm wondering if you still think a 28" with 2.5 of space on the right side of the mirror would be okay give your above picture.... Maybe the rules are different b/c my mirror would be near a wall?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

in my picture it's a 36" vanity, so of course the 28" is going to leave more room compared to a 30" But I see what you mean. If I had gone with a 32" mirror, it would have hogged all the space.

But again, Your space has an open left side, mine doesn't.

And since yours has the open left side, anything you choose is going to look a little 'off' in that respect.

honestly there is really no wrong answer. So get what is comfortable for you, and looks good to you.

I think the 24 is too small, and the 30" is too big. So the 26 or the 28 would be my pick!

rfharmon thanked Beth H. :
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You're the best, thank you!

BTW, my tile guy is installing the basalt fireplace tile that you recommended... Insofar, it has taken him 4 days but it looks fantastic... He has installed each piece one-by-one... the sheets were falling apart.... but I love the look and could not be happier!!!!!!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

oh great! i love that tile. make sure to post pics of it when done!