Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_427037547

Typical cost for shower rough in?

Rick L
3 years ago

I’m planning to convert bathtub to shower. If I remove all the walls and bathtub myself, how much would it be for a plumber to come in and do the shower valve and attach the drain to the trap? My plan was to do all of it myself using Schluter but my condo assoc requires a licensed person to do the plumbing portion. Any rough estimates? I got one quote and it was $1000. Seems high.

Comments (21)

• Rick L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So it sounds like it would vary greatly depending on being able to access the piping. I’m wondering if it’s possible that it’s already 2 inch piping below.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

And it all gets more complicated as this is in a condo.

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

Given all the vagaries with the situation, and info on necessary details you’re not going to get a useful idea on costs here. However, $1000 seems very cheap; I suggest you get a couple more bids.

• Rick L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well best case scenario, there is access to the drain below. Is it all labor costs? I don’t see how installing a new shower valve, replace the piping and attach the drain would take longer than a day.

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You’re not paying for time so much as knowledge and skill. And supply and demand. There are no 20 year old plumbers. They are all 50 and tired. They could work 120 hours a week if they wanted. The demand is there. The workers are not. All the 20 year olds were told to go to college rather than work with pipes and poop. $300 an hour minimums for trade work isn’t very far away.

Encourage youngsters to be HVAC techs, or to run wire, or to lay stone, or anything where they get sweaty and dirty. They are going to easily eclipse the salary of a university president. No one cares about recruiting the latest medieval scholar for the history department. Everyone cares about stopping the active sewage flow from their toilets Into their homes.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Rick:

I'm a licensed Florida plumber. If you lived next door to me and I didn't even have to start my truck, your minimum charge would be $500.00 if I just turned your shutoff valve. You're getting a steal. Take it please.

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    3 years ago

Many plumbers and other tradesmen charge a base fee just to show up. Plus an hourly rate and materials/parts. Cost me about $800 to remove and install a new water heater — but it is installed to code. Supply and demand. I could have done the work myself but when it comes to plumbing, electrical and HVAC I typically have a pro do the work.

• thisisnotadrill
    3 years ago

we paid $3k in the northeast US for rough-in plus upsizing the drain, and fixing an unexpected issue with previous unpermitted/shoddy work by the preivous homeowner. A drain had to be rerouted and properly sloped because it was sloped uphill! Anyway I think you are getting a deal, but echo the sentiments of the previous posters. just wanted to give you a data point

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

And since it’s a deal, presumably you’ve checked to make sure this is a licensed plumber and that he has decent references/reviews.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

And has been approved by the condo assoc to work in the building? Typically condo assoc carry much higher insurance requirements since a mistep could effect many many people.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    3 years ago

This is correct I have 3 plumbers i use, well 2 i use 1 as double backup ! 2 of 3 couldnt get a permit in the condo bldg. im currently finishing 2 of 2 baths in. Then we have to use the associations plumber to shut down stack and time it just so. Then we have to use copper at every turn....

theres 4 unit condo associations and then theres hi rise plumbing major difference....lets not even get into stacks, vents, hidden non accessible traps....oh buddy $$$$$

HIRE WISELY America.

• Rick L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Appreciate all the feedback everyone. Sounds like it’s a good deal and yes this plumber is insured and licensed. I believe he has already done work in my complex before. My perfect scenario would be he comes in and completes it in a day. And I complete the shower in 5 days. Should I double that? 😂

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    3 years ago

yeah showcase your pan build, waterproofing, make sure and share your laps, in and outside corners , adhere to cure times, 48 hr flood test and permit sign offs in 5 days , careful now :) oh

• thisisnotadrill
    3 years ago

5 days.. i love your optimism. We DIYd and it took 2 months fom start to finish but we also took our time to make sure everything was done in excruciating detail. We did a full schluter shower + ditra heated floor, re-drywalled most of the room, replaced all fixtures, painted etc so it might be more than you are planning on doing. but the cure times, flood test etc are going to eat up most of that 5 days! Are you doing kerdi board or membrane?

• Rick L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m planning to do kerdi board along with the prefab tray, bench, niche, etc. I could assemble it and waterproof it in a day. Let it set for 24 hrs and then leak test for a day. Then tile, wait 24 hours followed by grout. And I’ll most likely have someone come in to install the frameless glass door. I’m sure it’s easier said than done. My main concern is this is my only bathroom. I might have to shower at my parents if it stretches out longer than expected. Once I’m done with the shower, I’m gonna either tile the floor or just lay vinyl.

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

Ours was done speedily...in 5 weeks by an excellent contractor who had someone onsite 5 days a week, pretty much full-time.

• thisisnotadrill
    3 years ago

Can't wait to see the fnished result! I definitely understand the motivation when it's your only bathroom. Good luck!

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    3 years ago

Classic Houzz. How much is the permit cost and whats the lead time for the inspectors on the 3 phases...... plumbing rough, then the waterproofing flood test then the final inspection? .......all in A few day says Rick in a condo w an association even....... your not skipping permits inspections are you.

im curious how my 20 yrs of experience specific to shower bldg. say you cant REALLY PROPERLY do it, but you are certain you can !!!! how will you meet cure times for mortars, grouts and sealants? what type mortar are you using w kerdi.

I will love to see the TCNA method number youll knock out in A day. And how you achieve all MFG instructions, ANSI and TCNA specs thru out.

😊Always fun the houzz. Rick for tile pres of the year !

• Rick L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

5 days was the perfect scenario but most likely will go beyond. Of course permit is needed which I’m working out now before any work is started. 24 hour flood test to be done a day after waterproofing. I’ll be using schluter all set.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    3 years ago

48 hrs is the minimum flood test, make sure its filled up over the curb and there are no low spots when it drains. youve got a 10 day minimum project for a team of pros to do it *CORRECTLY be wary of internet claims otherwise.

again w MFG cure times before using the shower.....:)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH