Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_875963115

Help! I need to find room in my design for a clawfoot tub!

April C
3 years ago

We're designing our master bathroom, and according to person drawing our house plans, we don't really have enough room for a clawfoot tub. He drew up a design with a clawfoot tub, but it leaves a "dead space" in the corner and a shortage of countertop space. He also drew up a design with a corner garden tub, but I don't really want to go with that if possible. Any ideas out there on what I could do to fit the clawfoot tub without sacrificing countertop space or my enclosed toilet?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Forget the toilet room and you do not have space for a freestanding tub since it needs 12” all around min and so much better if a lot more. Toilet rooms are just ridiculous inside a bathroom , IMO no one should be using the toilet while some one else is in the bathroom period.BTW garden tugs have gone the way of the dodo a long time ago .I would suggest you do a really nice deep soaker tub much easier to get in and out of and looks awesome .

• Karenseb
    3 years ago

I like toilet rooms, but they do take up more space than you give it. Your toilet room is too narrow. I would not go less than 42 inches. So if you give up the toilet room, you may be able to get more in that space. I also noticed that your closet does not seem to be efficient. A 7 foot width would allow you to use both sides of the closet.

Here is a more efficient plan that might work. I had to add a foot to the width (if you can afford to take a foot from the bedroom).

I would do a pocket door on the toilet room and sliding doors on the shower. The vanity would be about 6 feet long.

If the bathroom entry does not work there (too close to bedroom entry?), You could put the toilet where the vanity is and the shower at the end of the toilet and put the vanity where the shower is and the tub to the right.

• Gwendolyn Hayes
    3 years ago

Or consider a short, deep fiberglass tub. We got a 5 foot long, 18 inch deep, but only 30 inch wide tub from Maax. It was 9 years ago but they had lots of different sizes. Maybe something like a Japanese tub, small and deep with a seat in it. But do ask yourself how often you will use the tub. Maybe you just need a really nice shower. I don't think most people use their tubs as much as they think they will.

• Karenseb
    3 years ago

A lot of people use a tub once or twice a month. My sister uses hers more often.

My brother put in a beautiful tub a year ago and neither he or his wife have used it once.

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

Can the window locations move? Can the toilet location move? If so, I’m going to suggest adding the foot or two to the bathroom by eliminating that jog in the closet wall; it doesn’t provide any benefit to the closet.

• April C
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I can see I need to rethink the bathroom layout. I will try to upload a bigger picture of the house layout later today. The jog in the closet does look odd. I think its there to give more room for the dresser in the master bedroom so its not in the path of the bedroom entry door.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I use a tub everyday so a must for me but it is not nessessary to have it in the master bathroom.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Rather than trying to check off every box on your wish list for this bathroom, consider putting together a list starting what it the most important to the least. As you go down the list, then you'll know what you have to make room for and what will be nixed in order to get your most favorite into the room. If the tub is at the top, you need to go and sit in tubs and see if the size that you like the most will actually fit. As you may find that what will actually fit is a much smaller tub than you envisioned and then you'll find yourself unhappy that you compromised on everything else.