Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_742677606

Seeking opinions on new flooring type/install

3 years ago

I am fixing up a 1969 ranch. The current thread can be found here.
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6035582/1970s-ranch-update-
I am torn on what to do for prep work and what I want to put down for flooring. I removed carpet and vinyl. I now have one room with two layers of plywood and one connecting room with two layers of plywood, sheet vinyl (test asbestos) and thin osb underlayment.
Three adjoing rooms are hard wood on just one layer of plywood. The bathroom.. I'm not sure.
I want the same floor through both rooms (kitchen and living room).
Options I've considered:
Find a match and cover the rest of the room in an underlayment to have one flat plane.
Remove osb, install cement board over sheet flooring and plywood subfloor. Then tile both rooms.
Remove osb then try to use floor leveler and feather off the lips from the sheet flooring. (I haven't been able to get good results with floor leveler patches on other projects) Then do lvp, laminate, hardwood, etc
Remove osb and install floating floor and hope the gap is okay underneath.
Remove osb, remove top layer of plywood with asbestos attached, install new layer of plywood where removed, install new flooring of choice.

Comments (10)

• 3 years ago

Some lousy photos..

• 3 years ago

I looked at the patchwork quilt that is your subfloor (I used the other link...thanks for that). To do this 'right' (as in you NEVER have to do it again...ever!), you get the nasty subflooring up...completely up. If that means getting down to the joists and building up again, that's fine. Bite the bullet and do it.

My question is: the hardwoods that I saw in the other link - are they still in the house? Or did you rip them out?

If they have been left in place, I would find a species/cut/width/thickness match (should NOT be difficult...they look pretty regular) and then run the rest of the house with the match. Once installed you can then have all the floors refinished at the same time (assuming the existing wood is solid and refinishable).

BTW: In your original post I spotted a lot of water damage on the kitchen ceiling. Has that been addressed?

• 3 years ago

The only area that's patch work is the kitchen which has additional sheet vinyl and osb. It still has the two layers of plywood under it.

Hardwood is still down in the bedrooms and dining room.

The ceiling is before and after of popcorn ceiling removal. No water damage.

• 3 years ago

Bring everything down to the two layers of subfloor (you will have to confirm the hardwood is sitting on two layers of subfloor and nothing extra) and then install more wood.

If it is too tough to leave the old stuff in place, simply pull up those areas and relay new.

• 3 years ago

The existing hard wood floors are on one layer of plywood. The rest of the house has two layers. Removing the existing hard wood is not in the cards.

• 3 years ago

OK...so you have to get the rest of the house down to the level of the SINGLE layer of plywood. No big deal. Simply remove everything so that it equals the single layer of plywood. Then install hardwood over top. Done. Like. Dinner.

How much wood is sitting ABOVE the tongue on the original hardwood?

• 3 years ago

I am ripping up the kitchens top layer of plywood with the sheet flooring attached. then will replace it with new and have one smooth plane throughout. Then it may need a little bit of leveling work.

• 3 years ago

Check to see how much wood you have on the original hardwoods - just to make sure they can handle another sand/refinish. You need 3mm of wood above the tongue to get a full sand/refinsh.

The reason I mention this: it *might be that you don't have enough wood left to 'save'.

Other than that, keep on with your ideas. You're getting there.

• 3 years ago

I removed the plywood and flooring. I now need to find a match to replace the subfloor material with. the living room still has the true 1/2".