Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaronrosarianzone5b

Rogue Valley Roses looks like they have a bunch of roses back in stock

I personally have been after Nahema, which I got an email for. I looked at their roses and it looks like a lot more are in stock now, including Clothilde Soupert. Figured I'd share the knowledge so people can update their Christmas lists appropriately :)

Comments (68)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

How gorgeous, Paul!

• starmade
    3 years ago

they seems to also have mel's heritage and robert's wondrous ruthie in stock (neither appearing in the "paul barden" collection for some reason.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I would bet I could grow your gorgeous and unusual Ash Wednesday, Paul, without it incurring any blackspot and without spraying. There are parts of the dry West where blackspot does not exist. I count my lucky starts. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I bet you could, Diane, and it would be gorgeous! I want it but for sure it would be Nakey here lol. I might not care though, if I got enough of those pretty blooms.

I wonder if it would do better grafted onto Fortuniana. I got two Abe Darbys grafted onto Fort and they have way less blackspot than my 3 Abes on Doc Huey..strange but true.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They also have Papi Delbard, which I was considering but now think it's probably a bit too boldly colored for what my mom calls my "anemic colored rose" taste :)

3 years ago

I put in an order for "Diablo Hawk", "Kaiserin Friedrich", and "Alliance Franco-Russe". Now, I wish I had Donuts but my favorite donut shop has closed already.

• Westminster_7NYC
    3 years ago

Anyone know how large Ash Wednesday gets in zone 7 nyc? So excited to get this and mel's heritage from RVR

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Both Ash Wednesday and Mel's Heritage are again at RVR

• HU-159188150
    2 years ago

Hi Aaron this is Juan and i work with rvr and this spring we will be having more roses in stock and more roses from paul barden and news roses are coming

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

So, so excited Juan!!! Your customers service is wonderful and your owner amazing...so glad we have all of you at RVR!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Yay Juan, thanks for keeping us updated.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Thank you, Juan! Carol

2 years ago

That is great to hear, Juan.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

I need another rose like a hole in my head. So what am I doing? Heading over to RVR as I invent excuses….. Carol

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose Oh do tell about what you get!

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

@Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)

It looks like most of the Bardens have already been snatched up. Rats! I’m still looking around at RVR for some roses my sister wants….. How are your fall purchases faring? I’ve been visiting my Burlington Babies daily and saying sweet nothings to them. My Maiden’s Blush sends her regards to yours!

Carol

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose Well everything I planted is buried under the snow and has been for weeks, hopefully doing well with the cold. The stuff I ordered this month will just sit at the nursery until about April, but I really wish I could see them! I'm so excited about all of them. And I got 2 new clematis, too 😁 I've got high hopes for the garden this year, putting in the last of the climbers to complete a long section of fence that I hope will be covered with roses and clematis in about 5 years.

Maybe the Bardens are sold out but at least you scored Allegra!!

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Your garden is going to be GORGEOUS! Congrats on the clematis purchases. Roses and clematis—a match made in heaven! Your spring thaw will start the unveiling. :-)

Yay! I’m still celebrating Allegra. I have been making serious love-love noises over her tiny canes. I have all fingers crossed for spot on IDs! I’ll know as soon as they bloom.

Carol

2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose My clem x rose pairings are:

- Mme. Ernest Calvat with "Miniseelik"

- Great Maiden's Blush with "Ilka"

- Laguna with "President"

- Erinnerung an Brod with "President"

- Raubritter and Sally Holmes with "President"

- High Country Banshee with "Emilia Plater"

Do you have any clems?

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

Mine go over my red and yellow twig dogwoods.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Those combos sound lovely. I can hardly wait to see pics! There’s just something absolutely breathtaking about rose blooms intertwined with clematis flowers. I only have a few clematis now but grew around 12-15 varieties in my former garden. I currently grow Sweet Autumn, Niobe, Etoile Violette, Venosa Violacea, Kiri te Kanawa and a couple more. I used to grow The President and Comtesse de Bouchaud and would like to snag those again at some point. My go-to OR clematis nursery went out of business this year (sobbing), so I’m looking around for Joy Creek replacements. Joy Creek offered a gazillion varieties!

Carol

2 years ago

I was looking hard at Comtesse de Bouchaud but told myself I don't need more pink. Do you have any pics of your former one?

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

I do….somewhere. Looking….

She can handle quite a bit of shade just like Etoile Violette can.

Carol

2 years ago

Great to know!

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

This is NOT going to be the best photo, but it’s all I can find among the disorganized files in my office. This is a photo of a print of a photo from a display for a non profit fundraising auction (😂), but I think you can somewhat get the idea of CdB growing on an arch in a my last garden. She’s still young in this pic, and she’s growing in shade with hydrangeas and rhodies. CdB is silvery pink. I’ll look for a better shot…. Carol

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose I'm so sad about Joy Creek closing too. I ordered from them every year. They had amazing penstemon also, and so many other interesting plants.

-Chris

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

@chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

You, too, Chris? I suspect there are a bunch if us who are deeply grieving Joy Creek. The nursery is only about 45 minutes from my house in smooth traffic. I felt so gifted to have local access to it all these years. The penstemon collection was surely unrivalled! I used to grow Raven, Sour Grapes and Husker Red. JC also offered lots of unusual variegated and gold foliaged plants. I hope Brushwood expands its collection of vines. I’ve been really impressed by their plants and packaging. I am also wondering if Joy Creek will be offering its collection to another nursery. JC was like a smaller version of Heronswood and offered really rare specimens of plants collected from far away places.

Carol

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose it must have been wonderful to visit them in person. Silver Star Vinery is also really good for clematis.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Thank you for the info, @chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)! I’m bookmarking the site to read later today. Carol

• Dave5bWY
    2 years ago

You may want to check RVR‘s website today - there are quite a few popular roses back in stock.

• berrypiez6b
    2 years ago

I was surprised to receive several emails this morning from RVR that roses i was waiting for ( for years actually ) are now in stock , I had totally forgotten about them.

What a gamble this rose buying is; I waited too long on a few at ARE that are sold out , and

jumped the gun on 2nd choices . What I wanted most have become available at Rogue Valley but I overspent with no room left.

Shakespeare should have written about fickle rose-lovers, it is a comedy and a tragedy.

2 years ago

What are they Berry? What were the roses?

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    2 years ago

I noticed one that they have available is Paul Bardens Marianne! Not shipping until April 18th..

• berrypiez6b
    2 years ago

Clementina Carbonieri and Rouge Royale.

I think i might just stroll through their site since it's Saturday morning ...

• User
    2 years ago

@Ashley Smith zone 5a I would think April 18th is the earliest you'd want to receive an own-root rose for your zone. Early May might be more appropriate.

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    2 years ago

Paul I got my Marianne already last year and am eagerly awaiting seeing it bloom this year! I think that is the rose I am most enthused about seeing bloom. I guess I just put that info there for others.

• Beth Hana
    2 years ago

Hah! They emailed me this morning about GREY PEARL being in stock. I was out for most of the day, and it's already sold out. Likely was within a few hrs. I thankfully already got one thru a friend who sent budwood to Steve Singer for me last yr. Might have to grab DOLLY'S FOREVER ROSE tho...

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

LOL, I got an email this morning telling me that Lila Vidri was available. Sold as Leila Verde by Arena for many years. I'm pretty sure I got on the waiting list for this rose ~5 years ago. In the meantime, I have propagated it myself from my one remaining bush. When I checked this afternoon, it was still available. It's a wonderfully fragrant Simon Dot lavender FL from 1958. I wonder if I'm going to get more notifications on my other wish-list roses from 5 years ago? I used to order very happily from them back in the day. So I guess, good for them for finally getting their act together on roses they claim to have :-D

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    2 years ago

I ordered a 'Dolly's Forever Rose' for my good friend Jennie.

Her mother's name was Dolores, but she went by Dolly. Sadly, she passed years ago (around 2008 IIRC) due to cancer.

I told Jennie she was getting a rose, but I haven't told her its name yet. 

I thought of "Mom" right away when I saw it.

Steven

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

This is a great thread! Sorry I missed it earlier when I posted. Well, a double post is twice the heads up to patiently queued Barden rose lovers, right? Congratulations to everone on your long awaited treasures! Carol

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

They sent me an email saying that Rouge Royale is back in stock. I guess they didn't remember that I already bought one from them last year. I’m posting for those who wanted one when they were sold out.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thank you! I now have replaced the two Souvenirs du Docteur Jamain I had coming with Rouge Royale. I will now be able to make @Diane Brakefieldesque bouquets!!!

2 years ago

Doesn't get any better than that! Diane Brakefield-esque bouquets are what we all dream of making. I would need to get some Ascot and try again with Jude for that to happen, but I can dream.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Pulease...you guys. I am laughing so hard. I can think of so many forum members who make much better bouquets than I ever could. The thing about RR and Ascot is you just need a lot of blooms to stuff in a vase--the blooms do it all for you--plonks for the lazy. I just looked up Jude a while ago to see his parentage, if possible. No, it can't be...Abe Darby is a parent. My little runt Abe which grows next to my 8+ft tall Jude. Something is wrong here. Diane

2 years ago

We definitely have some very talented rose growers and bouquet makers on this forum. I look forward to all the new photos you guys will grace us with this summer, and I'll try my hand at a few arrangements as well.

• HU-159188150
    2 years ago

This rose will be soon at rvr

2 years ago

@Diane Brakefield … I didn’t realize thst Abe is a parent of Jude. Very interesting!

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Nose, it's hilarious. When my two are blooming and looking better, I'll take a photo showing the runty parent next to the towering son. Diane

2 years ago

when I grew Jude, he had much less desire to grow in my yard than Abe. But neither were that vigorous.

Sonia Rykiel has growth habits similar to her parent Abe. Except that she is more scraggly, more tempermental, more subject to sudden dieback, and even more susceptible to thrips.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I know I started another thread about consistent rose parents, but it's really funny how often some spring up over and over. Abe is a parent/grandparent of a lot of beloved roses (Austins, Bardens). So is Graham Thomas (Sweet Mademoiselle, Star of the Republic, PcDM, Evelyn, many/most Guillot Generosas). It seems like some roses just have great genes that pass well to future generations.