Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_wolcott

Advice needed: Tile Job, bathroom remodel, uneven grout

Karen Wolcott
3 years ago

Hi there,

We are approaching the end of our first big reno Job with a contractor. We have had contractors in and out of our house since July, since the tile job was originally so bad you could see large lines of grout in between each mosaic sheet on the walls. The contractor‘s solution was to pull out individual tiles.

Now, the lines are less noticeable, but you can still see gaps ever 12 inches and everything looks sloppy to me. The schluters aren’t mitered or even against each other. The grout shows significant variations in color and amount in between the tiles. The tiles aren’t even aligned on the corners.

Earlier in the process we voiced our concerns to the contractor and he assured us the tiles would “settle” and the discoloration would subside once the grout fully dried. He said, “the grout color on the walls is just light changing throughout the day and the darker sand within the grout. You have been using the bathroom for the past couple months, so water has been on the surface and drying times vary throughout the day, hence why there is a variation in grout color.”

He also said, “The shower drain was a challenge, as we discussed when I was working on this area, the tile pieces couldn't be cut any smaller. After we made adjustments and redid the tile back in Oct before the inspection, you said you were fine with it. I did my best to get the patterns to align while at the same time not making any cuts that would visually disrupt the pattern even more. Tile patterns with mesh backgrounds don't ever line up perfectly, grout lines are different and tile sizes are slightly different, so when you cut out a square in the middle of a set of 12x12 mesh layouts, all sides don't line up perfectly. Also, you can see in the photo, there is one corner in the upper left that I would have had to remove the tiny cut piece to shift the other tiles to the left, while directly below the piece is much large. I was trying to give some balance.Keep in mind, tiles on a mesh back are not perfectly spaced, so as the tiles move around the square drain, it's impossible to get the tiles on all sides to line up perfectly. Also, with marble tile it says on the box that the tiles are inherently lack uniformity and are subject to variations in aesthetics, color, shade, finish, tint, and hardness, strength , slip resistance, etc.”

FYI we only used the bathroom a handful of times.

He‘s also saying it was impossible to plumb the walls, which is why the tile work looks so uneven, but we went down to studs and he made no effort to shim.

He maintains that he did a great job and our complaints are merit less. We only owe him $1,200 left, but have been told by others we were very much taken advantage of

What do you think?

Comments (10)

• Karen Wolcott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Additional photos :)

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Typically when they tell you this is the best they can do and it looks like that, it truly is the best they can do. More to their lack of ability that anything else. When it looks like it also make one seriously have doubts about the behind the tile work.

• catbuilder
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry, that is a piss poor tiling job.

The herringbone should wrap around the corners, not start with a new layout in each corner. How much did you pay for this?
    Even if the drain tiles were aligned, it would not look good as the pattern is not centered within the square. Is it possible to put a non-tileable grate instead?

Telling you that the tiles would "settle" is a ridiculous statement. But I also can't believe that you bought that line.

This job begs the question: is the shower waterproofed? And how?

• Karen Wolcott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all for your input. I didn’t buy that it was going to “settle” but I’m certainly not an expert, so I had little to back up my statements that I didn’t think they would settle. We live in LA and paid a lot for the 3/4 bathroom remodel. For what it’s worth, they did hot mop under the tile.

Would love any advice on how we should resolve this.

• Nancy
    3 years ago

I’m a DIYer, and I could do a better tile job than that. That’s definitely NOT acceptable. Might be time for legal action. You may never get your money back, but at least you should get out of paying the remaining balance. I don’t know how to make that look better except to rip it all out and start over. Hopefully it’s usable in that condition until you can decide if you can live with it.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

I hope you took pictures of how they waterproofed the shower as I'm guessing they screwed that up royally too. Which means you may have major water damage within a few years.

• Karen Wolcott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This shows whats Under the tiles and when they started ripping them out to attempt to fix the unevenness.

• Nancy
    3 years ago

Looks like cement board with no waterproofing?

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Is that cement board on the wall? And what is on top of it?

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Here are a few quick tips to find out how "correct" the install is (or isn't). Correct meaning 'will not fail' vs. looks pretty. Looking pretty and being correctly installed are two different animals.

1. Caulking is used at EVERY change of plane (ahem...corners). Grout is NOT allowed when tile goes around a corner or goes from flooring tile to wall tile.

To check for caulking just poke your finger nail in there and push. If it feels rubbery = caulking. If it feels like hardened sand/stone = grout.

**Hint** Look at the GROUT that is sitting all around the wall cubby and the grout that is running down the corner...check the marble floor/tile wall connection. Do you see more grout?

2. Did they use wood (raw wood) at the shower threshold? If you remember seeing a plank of timber being 'tiled' you have issues.

3. Water Draining out of the shower should be even. The shower floor should not have areas that are left 'wet looking' (ie. darker...marble is AWESOME at showing this...which means you can test this very easily for yourself) for hours while other areas look 'dry' very quickly. An uneven drying time tell us water is SITTING (ie. not draining) under the marble.

Issues like a mentioned above can be a perfect storm waiting to come crashing down (through the ceiling? below?) around your head.

They are also issues that point to a REDO (especially the shower floor stuff).

The uneven wall tiles = uneven wall. They needed to shim the walls (when the studs were exposed) and/or float the tile (very difficult and expensive and requires an OLD FASHIONED Tile Pro to get it done properly). You didn't get either.

In other words your General Contractor used 'guys' to lay the tile and not the EXPENSIVE Tile setters (ahem...GCs HATE using expensive pros...it messes up their bottom line/quotes).