Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Favorite Miniature and Small Daylilies of 2020

shive
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Post your favorite little blooms here. Small-flowered daylily (Hemerocallis) hybrids have blooms that are larger that 3" up to 4 ½" in diameter. Pony refers to flowers in the 4" range. Daylilies of 3 inches or less in diameter are called miniatures.

I don't have many of these any more. I tend to favor very large daylilies.

The only miniature I've kept is Elizabeth Salter's Little Mystic Moon. Many years it has bud counts in the high 30s.

The only small-flowered daylily I currently own is E. Salter's Colorado Moon Fire. It always starts blooming early, and is a terrific rebloomer. It's registered as 3.5 inches, but it's normally in the 4-inch range here.

Debra

Comments (20)

• Sam CO z5
    3 years ago

I just looked it up and supposedly the plant gets 30 inches. Mine is never come close to that! Maybe it’s the cold weather. But it multiples nicely and blooms more than many I have.

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sam - Coming Up Roses is a pretty shade of pink. At 3.5 inches, it would fall in the small rather than miniature category. Thanks for posting it!

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

I have two daylilies with two inch flowers, one didn’t bloom last season. I have a few with blooms a bit over three inches and will post a couple of these.

Tropical Delight has two inch blooms, it’s a double but this is the best it did last season. The scapes Are only 12” Tall.

little Grapette is a prolific bloomer, blooms are about 3 1/4 “.

Little Jetsetter is a beauty with 3” blooms.

Mini Pearl is a prolific bloomer, clumps almost every day.

Little Strawberry Shortcake is an eye catching pink, with 3” blooms here.

Siloam Bye Lo, another 3” bloom.

Sherry

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sherry - You have a pretty collection of little ones. I think my favorite is Siloam Bye Lo. I used to grow about 10 Siloams. They were all such pretty little things. I grew Little Grapette for many years too.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

This is a category near and dear to my heart. I have always liked things that are miniature. When Bob and I were into roses, I grew many miniatures.

I don't pay too much attention to the size of the flower. One thing I have noticed is that there are very few tetraploid true minis. Most of them are in the small-flowered or pony range. You find most of the tiniest in the diploids. For years we focused on tets and have only recently started collecting dips.

Brilliant Circle is one that languished for years and finally produced some nice flowers last season.

Eyes of a Child has a nice tall scape for a small. It was moved after being in a bad spot in the garden and produced some nice flowers last season.

Hidden Jewel was sent as a bonus and it is quite a find. It is very difficult, however, to catch the true colors.

Road to Dixie is eye-catching but does not do well in our climate. It survives, but doesn't increase.

Spell Fire is a diploid that we grew many years ago. When we started to focus on tets, we sold it off, but now purchased a new one.

More to come . . .

3 years ago

Toy Trumpets was new to the garden in 2019. I makes quite a show with the fairly tall scapes and multiple flowers. That is one of our goals in hybridizing--small flowers on well-budded tall scapes in color other than yellow.

Aaron's Little Whopper is a wonderful plant with a nice flower.

Broadway Charmer is a great plant, but I don't love the color.

Broadway Player is my favorite of the Broadways we grow. We love the perfect little flower with the round darker eye.

Indelible Blood was new to the garden this past season. It's hard to get a photo that shows the rich red with blackish overlay. It is supposed to have a 44 inch scape when it gets established.

More to come . . .

3 years ago

Itsy Bitsy Spider is a uf type small. It has a 35 inch scape.

Jason Salter is a tiny flower and a small plant.

Madeline Nettles Eyes is a true miniature tetraploid.

Mary Ethel Anderson is one of my favorites.

My Little Tea Set is another of my favorites. While the previous one is tiny, this one is pony sized.

More to come . . .

3 years ago

Now and Zen got overlooked for years. It has been moved and we'll see what it can do.

Pretty Little Polly is often a polytepal.

Woodchopper's Ball has a 60 inch scape and flowers in the pony sized category. I have tried to use it in hybridizing, but so far, it won't set seeds.

This is a seedling of ours. We are working on tall and smalls. This one will be an intro for next year (whenever I get around to registering it). The flower is 4 inches on a scape about 29 inches tall. It is Little Red Bantam X Lady Stephanie Victoria Redding.

I will post some small seedlings later.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hoosier Nan - My favorites of yours are your Little Red Bantam seedling and Broadway Player.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

I don’t grow a lot of these but Hoosier Nan, your collection makes me think I might need more! I was glad to see Mary Ethel Anderson as I had it once and really liked it. I still have a few Siloams and S. David Kirchhoff has always been a favorite. It has been overtaken by Bermuda grass and had to be moved.

Little Jetsetter is a cute one and Hoosier Nan, I really like that seedling.

3 years ago

Lilykate and Debra, thanks for the kind words about the seedling. Little Red Bantam (a great small, by the way) is a great parent. The first year I tried to set seed on it, it just wouldn't cooperate. The next year it set tons of pods. I don't know if it was more favorable weather or the maturity of the plant that made the difference. We have at least more more to register from it, maybe more. We had planned to register that one this year also, but I just can't get a good picture of it. It is violet purple with a velvety black overlay, the worst color to photograph, in my opinion. I will try again next season.

Here are a few more seedlings.

We hope that this one is a future intro. It's hard to see in the picture, but the edge is metallic. It's Daddy's Heart x Spacecoast Perfect Angel.

This is Merry Moppet X (Little Red Bantam X Pinewood Light in the Darkness).

Merry Moppet X Sprinkled with Springtime

Possum Que Shane X My Little Tea Set

Spacecoast Tiny Perfection X (Little Red Bantam X Heavenly Pink Fang)

Spacecoast Color Scheme X Rosemary Mussar

That's all for me.

Nancy

• celeste/NH
    3 years ago

I'm not a fan of miniature daylilies but I did collect a few at the very beginning of my daylily 'crazies' and some have remained.

Nancy, I think that very last seedling Spacecoast Color Scheme x Rosemary Mussar is adorable and so perfect!!!

LIL' RED WAGON

(click on the photo to see the whole picture)

I have tons of the Siloams and most fit this catergory but I'll only show my favorites:

SILOAM APPLE BLOSSOM

SILOAM TINY TIM

SILOAM SIMPLE SIMON

SILOAM TOMMY TUCKER

SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION

JASON MARK

VELVET SHADOWS (teensy-tiny blooms, just over 2 inches)

GEORGE JETS ON

BAHAMA BUTTERSCOTCH

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

I forgot about Elegant Candy-at 4.25 inches, I suppose it fits here-mine is rarely that large.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

I do like a little variety in my collection and think Miniatures/smalls are great for putting center spot on a garden table. Unfortunately I don't have any now, but there are several here that I've grown, or would like to grow. Nan: When you get down to the nitty gritty on your small hybrids I hope you will post them. You have several that intrique me........Little Strawberry Shortcake, Broadway Player, and Velvet Shadows (which I grew as a newbie) all stand out to me.....................Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kate - I forgot about Elegant Candy too. The blooms seem to be at least 4.5 here.

Hoosier Nan - All your little seedlings in the last batch look promising.

Celeste - I really like Siloam Apple Blossom and Siloam Tiny Tim!

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Nice blooms everyone. I'll comment in more detail another time. Busy with Christmas stuff!

I have few small or miniatures. I too prefer large.

My only miniature is Little Business because it blooms in the shade.

Children's Festival, 3.5 inches

4 inch flowers:

Maleny Debutante

Woodside Amethyst

Olallie Autumn Gold

Noid

more....

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

4.5 inches

Pink Lantis

Also registered officially at 4.5 inches are Fiordiligi, Indian Giver, Elegant Candy, Coral Majority. These are already posted in other threads. Most of these often bloom at 5 inches for me.

I also have Green Rainbow at 4 inches, but it hasn't bloomed for me yet.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Brad - It looks like you have several pretty pony-sized daylilies. Here's one of mine that measures 4.25-4.5 inches during bloom season:

Sailing Into the Blue

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That is a pretty little pink, Sam!

Debra